Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poser Tables
Quote | Reply
You know the math on this isn't too bad. If you start calculations on what kind of bike someone should buy, or is overspending, using a brand new P3 as the basis Times the Percentage Finish in a triathlon:

100% = $3600
95% = 3325
90% = 3240
85% = 3060
80% = 2880
75% = 2700
70% = 2520
65% = 2340
60% = 2160
55% = 1980
50% = 1800
And so on....
10% would equal a $360 bike.

Obviously we could get all worked up in questions like, which races. Do you include or average all the races? Which races. Oly, or sprint, or Ironman, half Ironman. And so on.

It ends up working about right. Anyone in the 48-50 percent range would not be a poser, would be well under the Poser guidelines, for a dual or that competing Felt bike out there.

Finishing up: I should be entitled to about a $420 bike. And, lets look at how exceedingly brilliant my numbers are on this chart I have developed: I have a 2000 Raleigh R700. And, holy cow, guess what, its worth about $400. Therefore, I am currently not "posing."

WHOOO (wiping sweat off my brow)

HOWEVER, I am sneakily spying on buying---this is a what if---a used P2K, for 1500. Let's say I buy that sucker and use it in the next race, BEFORE I reach the correct POSER correct level, the correct level being the finish percentage for a $1500 bike: which would require me to overall finish in the lower 35%. Notice I am clearly posing now, by ($1500 - $420) $1080. Poser level: 420/1080 x 100 = 38.8 percent.

How much of a poser would I be if I were to ride that sucker. According to this formula: my poser level would be 38.8 percent.
Last edited by: boothrand: Jul 2, 04 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Poser Tables [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should use your USAT ranking as the guide.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you factor in if the person is a great cyclist but crappy runner? Do we still put them on a lower percentage bike?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Poser Tables [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HID, you work out these pesky details in the formula, work them out. Let's copyright this, and send it to John Duke over at Triathlete magazine.

I think we are on to something. This chart is uncanny in its accuracy. I was going to buy a used P2k for 500 but that would make me "pose" by 38.8 percent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, Booth, the level of Poserness is determined solely on appearance. Therefore, your $500 Ebay P2k rates no different than a brand new one in Tom D's shop. How do I know this? Because the jackasses who are rating folks as posers are only looking at how things APPEAR to them. Nevermind that they guy might be recovering from illness or accident, or that like you, they might have got the bike second-hand for a great deal, or any other myriad of reasons. If you have expensive equipment but don't place high, then you are a poser, a charlatan, and you should just shoot yourself and put yourself out of your misery. You'll never be as good as them. You poser punk you. Never underestimate the mind of a jackass.
Quote Reply
Re: Poser Tables - [F9 - recalc] [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You gotta do something with those numbers bro'...

First off, there are tri bikes that go WAY over $3600. Take the Trek TT or the Look 486 or the Cat Cheetah! The top of that table has to take in the potential for a $5-7K bike, because even if you buy one for 3600, you've still got to upgrade to the disc and the integrated aero bars. Are the top guys posing? Is Stadler a poseur (what's the German equivalent?) DeBoom? How about Natasha?

Jeez, I'm finishing in the 70 - 75% bracket, and counting all the bling bling, I'm over $3500 for my bike.

I think you fudged the numbers to make yourself look good, buddy. You can't get away with shoddy work like that in professional forum like this, ya know. Let's get an independent auditor in here. I know a guy at Aurther Anders... uh, wait, never mind...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, booth. If I calculate what I actually spent for my bike, I am officially "not posing"

<whew>

That one had me worried for awhile.

I agree w/ Elwood. The formula needs a little tweaking.
Quote Reply