Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Considering doing a long race out at Hagg Lake in Oregon this Summer. I know the terrain is rolling but anything else I should know about this loop? I'm doing this one on the cheap so I'm only taking one bike, one wheelset, maybe 2 tire options. Is it asphalt or chip seal? How's the condition of the road? How's the traffic during the day and night?. Looks like there's a decent shoulder, is that the case? I know other races have been held there in the past so I'm hoping the road is in decent shape. Any info much appreciated.

-David

Last edited by: 421.8: May 15, 14 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course [421.8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
21 laps! Holy boredom!

Anyway, I did the Hagg Lake tri many years ago (Oly, so 2 laps with a pig-tail at the park entrance), so my info may be out-of-date, and my memory may be a bit fuzzy... As I remember, it's decent chip-seal -- fairly smooth for the kind of road. Not sure about shoulder though. The entire lake is a park (from the road to the lake itself), with very little in the way of residence surrounding. Not much traffic at all.

Hope that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road conditions are decent. OBRA has had the Banana Belt series there for some years. It used to be early March and weather was usually crap; it's now in May. 750' vertical per lap.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I watched a video of some guy on his motorcycle riding a lap around the lake. It showed a lot of cars parked in the shoulder all around the lake. I'm hoping that was a weekend. The bike portion of this event is Friday. As far as the 750'/lap, it looked like mostly rolling hills which is actually not all bad for a 224 mile course :)
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course [421.8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
421.8 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I watched a video of some guy on his motorcycle riding a lap around the lake. It showed a lot of cars parked in the shoulder all around the lake. I'm hoping that was a weekend. The bike portion of this event is Friday. As far as the 750'/lap, it looked like mostly rolling hills which is actually not all bad for a 224 mile course :)

What's the race? The right-hander you'll take heading back over the dam is a downhill 90º, take it easy. There have been times that the wind across the dam has been pretty severe. Road conditions are fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland Folks: Info requested on Hagg Lake course [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty,

The race is the Oregon Double Anvil (Double Iron distance). Its held July 18th. Its the first year at this location so just trying to gather some recon since I can't get out there before the race. I'm driving so probably only taking 1 bike, one wheelset etc.

Good info on the dam, thanks for sharing that.
Quote Reply