Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods?
Quote | Reply
What do you eat when you're feeling really depleted with many more hours of training left in the week? Anyone have a "super-food" or "super-meal" they like to whip up? And maybe at least part of it doesn't come in a plastic cannister, but is actually food?

For example, I was thinking a combination of eggs, brown rice, and black beans with some salsa might be good. Or something with lentils and spinach. (I'm a vegetarian if it's not obvious, but I'm interested to hear all suggestions).
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As contridictory as it sounds to the lifestyle - when I am feeling rundown from many hard workouts and my body feels very weak, I pound the heavy food.

Big steak (tri-tips, what else), baked potato, vegies, lots of water to help digest it, etc.

It seems to heel my body when I am depleted.
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite pick me up snack is cottage cheese with fresh sliced pinapple. Actually works good with any freash fruit, but pineapple is my favorite.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pomegranete juice.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grilled salmon and sweet potatoes. Got on the sweet potatoe kick after a Joe Friel seminar last year in which he claimed it was the number one recovery food along with spinach tomatoes and anything else high in antioxidants.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinach. Just like popeye, I love the stuff. Also a big salad with lots of beans on it and some fresh bread.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fur Burgers

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 faves:
#1:
- big ass steak (8oz), nice and rare (yum)
- roasted yams -mush them up they're heavenly
- salad made of avocado, tomato, red onion, red/yellow/orange peppers, cheese, nuts, fruit... with some basalmic vinegar...heavenly! Who needs lettuce? ;-)

#2:
- Big-ass burritos with refried black beans, rice, ground beef, avocado, tomato or salsa, yogurt (no sour cream sorry), cheese... spices as required.

Damn, I'm hungry now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My superfoods -

1. Peanut M&Ms with a glass of cold skim milk (the peanuts are rich in antioxidants, high in protein, and contain the "good" fats (i.e., monosaturated))(the skim milk is rich in calcium, protein, and vitamins A & D).

2. "George Foreman" Grilled Tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread with cashews (tomatoes are rich in lycopene, low on the glycemic index, high in potassium and vitamins A & C) (the whole wheat bread (bran, endosperm, and germ) is high in fiber and a good source of selenium)(cashews are high in protein and contain high levels of "good" monosaturated fats).

3. Cheerios and skim milk (Cheerios are made out of whole grains).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oats, Red River, Cream of Wheat, Apple, frozen blueberries, cranberries, cinnamon, skim milk. Bowl full of goodness.

Or - watermelon (perfect post summer long workout food).

ccy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a vegetarian those dinosaur shaped tofu/wheat protein nuggets are great with a little BBQ sauce. I also like a good black bean burrito with fresh salsa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chinese food - fried rice and lo mein. I don't know why, but it works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a vegetarian for 4 years, and during/after a lot of training, I crave fat. I could eat an entire jar of Trader Joe's natural peanut butter in one sitting, or a bag of pistacchios. To help my craving, I go for a big bowl of old fashioned oats with soymilk, dash of splenda, some vanilla Spirutein powder, and a spoonful of PB.

My super meal is whole wheat pancakes (sometimes with PB) and a 3 egg (2 whites, 1 whole) omelete. Stuff the omelete with some yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, green peppers, tomatoes, and a Morningstar sausage patty. Sprinkle in some basil, mozz cheese, then top it with a little more mozz cheese. Great weekend meal.

Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smoothie -- 1 cup OJ, 1 cup no-fat yogurt, 1 banana, 6-7 frozen strawberries, 2 tbsp wheat germ, Soy protein powder

Big old filet mignon, medium well

baked sweet potatoes

cottage cheese & pineapple
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost any healthy (grape nuts, crispix, chex, etc) with skim milk.

I like to take a nature valley granola bar (the hard kind) and crumble it in a mug. Then add 1/2 cup of oats and a fat-free yogurt. Mix it up and enjoy! High in carbs and protein. Good stuff.

I also have started swearing by Hodgson Mill whole-wheat pasta with milled flax seed. The Omega 3 acids in flax seed are good for you in so many ways it's unbelievable.

-C

Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neked berito

a little rice, sauted onions, mild peppers, chicken breast, black olives, medium to hot salsa, fat free sour cream

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After being vegetarian for 18 years I became very ill, and switched back to meat last year. Now when I am run down I eat anything meat - steak, chicken, roast beef, turkey, you name it I eat it. I feel absolutely recovered within the hour.

I'm big into the crockpot/stews this winter, and so will have a beef stew with tons of beef, peppers mix from Trader Joes, green beans, peas, and sweet potato. And a few slices of sourdough bread on the side. And a No Pudge fudge brownie for desert.

Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom, I've hearing more and more advertisements for Pomegranete juice, what's the deal? Is it that good?

count

Rob West
Nineteen Wetsuits
http://www.nineteentriathlon.com
http://www.hwynineteen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also my two favorite cereals:

Kashi Go-Lean Crunch

Zoe's Flax & Soy Granola Cereal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinoa and Kale. can't beat it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple things are going to sound funny, but they are full of great recovery ingredients.

low fat chocolate milk (in the winter good hot chocolate with skim milk)

Nouriche drinkable yogurt from Yopliat (full of protien, lots of carbs)

ice cream (the real deal, no low-fat stuff)

ice cold watermelon in the summer (at the finish line of a hot race, nothing better...except maybe some popcicles!)
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [rogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Smoothies :

Here is what I make mine with :

Soy Protein Powder
Carob Powder (its a chocolate)
Ovaltine (Choc. Malt flavor)
Frozen/sliced bananas
Peanut Butter
Skim Milk
Ice Cubes.

It's a complete food : Carbs, Protein, Fats and
Chocolate.....
Quote Reply
Re: Popeye's got his spinach - what are your super-foods? [dan IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A large pizza (doesn't matter what toppings) and Labatt's Blue.....anytime.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if I"m starved and skinny, a cheeseburger with tarter sauce on it, and hot wings with blue cheese on the side.

or pizza traditional crust with extra cheese and pep.

if going a healthier route is the goal, seared salmon with paprika, chili powder, minced garlic, and lots of sea salt, served on top of carmelized onions and lightly sauteed mixed greens. A little buerre blanc on top makes for a dinner that is really gratifying, nutrient rich, a little fancy, and delicious. (Ok, ok, savignon blanc is a fabulous with this...but maybe I'm not supposed to say this since it's a recovery meal? lol)
Quote Reply

Prev Next