Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poll at right: Flatting in a race
Quote | Reply
I answered "game over", because I have TLR wheels, and Corsa Speed tires--and I was shocked at how much of a PITA it was to get those on.

Honestly, it was a BEAST to get those tires on sitting in my comfy living room with two good tire levers, air conditioning, and all the time in the world. Since I'm only doing Oly distance this year, I just can't see getting a tire changed in a reasonable timeframe, sitting on the curb, in the heat, while frustrated, and in a "hurry".

That said, I'm running sealant, and carrying CO2, to minimize the risk of a race-ender "flat". So, I guess I could say, "I'm prepared"...provided the sealant seals, and I can just add some pressure. But, I didn't think that was the point of the poll.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll at right: Flatting in a race [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I needed a separate category: "Never flatted, but re preparedness it depends... Oly race or shorter it's game over, HIM or IM I would change the flat"

A bit off topic:
I have always wondered about those who flat "often." I truly believe that if you are being attentive the whole time to the road surface and debris then you will rarely flat. From the group riding I've done I've noticed a big difference between the attentiveness to small things in the road between people. Often I'm behind someone in a pace line and wherever possible I'll be trying to look up the road for any road surface issues, even though the lead rider has the main responsibility for spotting holes etc and pointing them out. What has struck me is how often minor issues are ignored/not noticed and just rolled right over. I'm not talking about big holes that should be flagged to the group, but rather small ruts, holes and debris that I would ALWAYS notice and ALWAYS avoid, and yet other riders routinely run over.

So, be honest:

1. Are you a rider that tends to spot every little thing on the road?
2. How often do you flat? [more than most it seems, sometimes, rarely, virtually never]

My answers are:
1. Yes
2. Virtually never
Quote Reply
Re: Poll at right: Flatting in a race [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not flatted in a race for a few years. I still carry two lightweight tubes 2x co2 2x tyre levers.
Tbh if I flat it's "race" over but I still want to get back to the start.
The last flat I had was in a TT and it was my fault as I hit a pothole. So awareness is important as well as checking tyres before the race but in wet weather it's a crapshoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with you on the extra category, I only chose Race Over because I don't race anything longer than Standard anyway, so I don't tend to carry anything. If I was racing longer though I would definitely need that extra category.

Oddly re: your off topic, I find that I actually end up hitting quite a few potholes etc, but for some reason I almost never flat (touch wood).

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So, be honest:

2. How often do you flat? [more than most it seems, sometimes, rarely, virtually never]"

[1] I watch out for road debris pretty well. The only time I flatted in a race was when my mind was drifting and I struck a large stone that I should have EASILY seen. And that was during a Sprint, so every second counts. I repaired it and just continued on and had fun with the race.

[2] I rarely flat outside of races. Sometimes I'll go a year or two between flats. Again, I'm watching the road consistently for debris, sticks, nails, and various other crap... including needles for crying out loud... stupid drug epidemic.

[3 add-on] Being a MOP recreational "racer" and not always chasing a PR, I've stopped and assisted more people change flats during a race that I've ever had on my own (racing or otherwise). That's what surprises me. People riding bikes/wheels that cost more than my car who can't change a flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting theory. I'm a lone wolf, so I don't observe other riders very often. But, my answers are the same as yours:

1. Absolutely.
2. Virtually never.

No one likes changing flats. But, as a lone wolf 20-50 miles from home...I really don't want to be down to my patch kit and last CO2. I've been there before, and I've had to make that phone call when the patch didn't stick and I used up my last CO2. Sitting in the sun for 30+ minutes on the side of the road is not a good use training time.

I'm always on the lookout for sparkling flecks of glass, nails, screws, bits of metal, and any other small debris. I tend to ride the white line or just inside the lane to avoid most "shoulder FOD". I try to NEVER roll over anything.

Its been 10,000+ miles, 3 jobs, 2 houses, a decade+, and 1 State of residence since I flatted on the road.

So, we now have N=2. Seems like proof to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have flatted once in a half iron and it took me 10 minutes to change the tube (in my rush, I messed up). So basically 'game over', but I did finish and lost most motivation to push very hard the rest of the way.

For Oly's and sprints, I don't even bother with spares as that really is a 'game over'. Never flatted in an Ironman, but the 5 minutes lost probably wouldn't be a big issue to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a string of flats one about every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. Drove me nuts. Changed brand of tubes and then I had no problem. The only time I flatted in a race was when I wasn't paying attention to my tires and I flatted. Changed the flat and then noticed the tube was protruding through the tire. After about 30 min race support came by and we changed tube and tire. Sometimes I think alot of race flats are about people putting on new tubes and tires just before race and they have a pinch flat.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm prepared in that I have a single tube, co2, and lever in case I flat. After that, unless I get help, I'm done. My wheels are also race only, except for some sort of pre-ride done early enough that I can figure out any issues before race morning. I've never flatted in a race, and pretty infrequently in general...I try to avoid most debris/gravel at all times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a sprint or Oly... it's race over. I don't carry a spare kit during those races.

70.3 or greater... I'm prepared, and will change it and continue my race. Albeit with less enthusiasm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tires have come a long way since I started riding in the mid 80's. Back then you could look wrong at a tire and it would go flat. Lot's of practice. Of course today's tires are 6x more expensive and much harder to get onto the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Honestly, it was a BEAST to get those tires on sitting in my comfy living room with two good tire levers, air conditioning, and all the time in the world.

Now that they have stretched out a bit being installed for awhile, I'd be interested to hear how tough they are to re-install now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a flat once in a race, but I was only a little over a mile from the bike finish. I just ran the bike in the rest of the way since my tires are a pain in the butt to change. I need that option added.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll at right: Flatting in a race [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I started in the early 90s. Back then the right pressure with your thumbs and the tire slipped off the rim. It was a clear sign of a rookie to even carry tire levers. Plus If you ground off the safety ridges on the front drop outs, you could change a front tube in a very short time. Before C02, it took longer to inflate the tire with a frame pump than everything else combined. Heck I used to practice it with a stopwatch.

I guess I got flats a little more often, but not much more so....and, I can't separate that from just being more experienced and having a sharper eye for what types of debris matter from maybe better tire technology. I think I used to be a little more cavalier--or just naĂ¯ve in what it took to get through the tire casing. But once you get a few flats and find the itty-bitty offending shard of glass, invisible sliver of wire, goathead thorn, or whatever you quickly come to the realization that EVERYTHING can puncture a tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode since late 80s. We carried a multitool, patches, and a frame pump. Some of our tubes would have 2-3 patches on them before we replaced them. Granted we were broke-ass teenagers riding hand-me-down 2x5 speed road bikes, with downtube shifters of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There should have been a couple extra categories... But I picked the technically correct one.

I have had four flats in my racing history (of more than 100 races). One, was the first race of a season and simply my fault for racing on old tires. One was me hitting a pothole hard that I did not see until I was fully engaged in my turn and had no way to avoid it. The third was a race that had a section on fresh chip seal. Picked up a small sharp rock that with the new tar stuck to my tire and eventually wore a hole in the tube. I changed all of those out and continued on. The fourth, well that is an epic combination of errors... Started by hitting a rock that I missed in my vision as I was moving over to pass someone. Then I realized my tube did not have a removable valve core and my extender was only for the removable valve core style tube, so I could not fix it. That is what I got for being in a hurry changing over to my training bike when my race bike had a cracked frame. So, that is the only time I did not fix it and continue on.

I would have called yours prepared. Until your preparation fails, it is preparation.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree that additional categories are needed. I don't carry a spare in a short course tri but do carry a spare in a long course tri and have successfully placed my spare tubular on a rim. I probably also changed a clincher in a tri but I've been using tubies in tris for about 25 years so I don't really remember. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flatted in a 70.3 - changed it and went on.
Flatted in a sprint duathlon. Game over
Flatted in a short biathlon. Game over
Flatted in a sprint Tri - Neutral support showed up as I was walking down the road, traded tires and I went on to win the men's race.

I don't carry spares in short course racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry a spare/CO/levers/multi-toll every time out. Partly bc I don't want to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for a ride back. I don't flat often, but if I did I would figure out why. One year I flatten at back to back sprints. The first one I still ended up winning. It was a lot of adrenaline. The second I did not, but from a performance standpoint I would argue it was my best race of the year. I can change a tire in 2 minutes from stop to start. Yes, it hurts, but I just don't understand quitting.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

I needed a separate category: "Never flatted, but re preparedness it depends... Oly race or shorter it's game over, HIM or IM I would change the flat"

A bit off topic:
I have always wondered about those who flat "often." I truly believe that if you are being attentive the whole time to the road surface and debris then you will rarely flat. From the group riding I've done I've noticed a big difference between the attentiveness to small things in the road between people. Often I'm behind someone in a pace line and wherever possible I'll be trying to look up the road for any road surface issues, even though the lead rider has the main responsibility for spotting holes etc and pointing them out. What has struck me is how often minor issues are ignored/not noticed and just rolled right over. I'm not talking about big holes that should be flagged to the group, but rather small ruts, holes and debris that I would ALWAYS notice and ALWAYS avoid, and yet other riders routinely run over.

So, be honest:

2. How often do you flat? [more than most it seems, sometimes, rarely, virtually never]

My answers are:
1. Yes
2. Virtually never

I would change it flat for even a sprint or oly distance since I could change the flat in far less time than it would take for a support vehicle to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I answered "game over", because I have TLR wheels, and Corsa Speed tires--and I was shocked at how much of a PITA it was to get those on.

Honestly, it was a BEAST to get those tires on sitting in my comfy living room with two good tire levers, air conditioning, and all the time in the world. Since I'm only doing Oly distance this year, I just can't see getting a tire changed in a reasonable timeframe, sitting on the curb, in the heat, while frustrated, and in a "hurry".

That said, I'm running sealant, and carrying CO2, to minimize the risk of a race-ender "flat". So, I guess I could say, "I'm prepared"...provided the sealant seals, and I can just add some pressure. But, I didn't think that was the point of the poll.

Pick up one of these:

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/...eless-repair-kit.php

With that and the sealant, only the LARGEST cuts will be forcing you to throw in a tube (and boot) to repair.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Poll at right: Flatting in a race [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flatted a mile or so from transition at Alcatraz, rear, after I already flatted the front at beginning of bike. So I hopped off and started running. Guy going by says, "just ride it in, it's only the rear." I jumped back on and even though it was squirrelly, it worked. Never flatted before or since. But changing a flat after coming out of the bay and your hands are freezing, it takes a few minutes to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

That's insane..why would you keep running this set-up?

Just because you payed money for it?
Is that money really worth your sanity. enjoyment and bloody knuckles?

Also, folks who ride the white line with super fast set-ups IN TRAINING are equally insane, rude to other cyclists....& hopefully suicidal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done about 15 races, and I've been cavalier enough to not bring any sort of spares/tools but lately have standardized on tube and pump/levers

I think it's a little silly in hindsight to 'take my ball and leave' just because I flatted. Even in a sprint, Wgaf .

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Re: Poll at right: Flatting in a race [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanity? Seriously? I don't even understand the comment. I'm hardly the first person to note the tight install of the corsa speeds. I'm also hardly alone in running them with sealant to deal with the possibility of a flat. Search if you care, but I'm guessing you don't.

Who said anything about hugging the white line in "superfast setups?" I've never even owned such a thing. Just a plain Ole road bike...which was only recently converted to a semi tri configuration.
Quote Reply

Prev Next