Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll: yearly mileage
Quote | Reply
Just curious: How many miles do you expect to ride your bike this year?

More questions (if you want to answer):

When's your riding season? What's you longest ride? Biggest week? What do you train for?About 'how fast' are you?

My answers: 2,500 miles - mid March to mid October - 80 miles LR - 170 miles=big week - Oly distance races - 1:10 is typical 25-mile time 4me. PS- I just got in from a glorious 3 hour ride BTW. That and ... Go Broncos! -TB
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: yearly mileage [tbinmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at 3759 miles for the year right now not counting indoor and recreational miles.

My riding season is 12 months, but generally never outside from late November to early April unless I am outside the U.S., which I try to be as often as possible during the winter.

My longest ride is about 112 miles usually, usually at Ironman. prior to that my longest is usually 100-110 although I have done 120's and even a 175 in previous years.

My biggest week can be around 400 miles. That's a killer. I'm OK on the bike- 3 time state time trail champ with a 40K PR of 53:13, butt assed last in the swim and not so good on the run. Improving hopefully.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am at just about 2500 miles right now.

Longest ride was a 75 mile race. Biggest week about 140, and I had 8 - 10 weeks over 100 miles. Longest races were two HIM. I typically average about 19-20 for an easy ride, up to 25 mph for a fast group ride. I am about 2:30 - 2:35 HIM bike split with this amount of volume. You can probably ride this fast with less bike mileage, as I did last year, but your run will suffer. I did two 1:33s off the bike in my races this year, compared to 1:40 to 1:50s in the past.

I try to ride every month of the year at least once outside. Can be hard in upstate New York, but so far this year I did. Don't really ride much from September through early December, rest of the year is fair game.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Oct 3, 04 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>How many miles do you expect to ride your bike this year?<<

3,463 miles as of yesterday (outdoor riding only)

>>When's your riding season?<<

January through December

>>What's you longest ride?<<

This year it will be 116 miles at CaliMan.

>>Biggest week?<<

About 220 miles, one of the weeks I was in France.

>>What do you train for?<<

Ironman and 1/2 IMs. Some crits earlier this year.

>>About 'how fast' are you?<<

That depends on the course. I went sub-7:00 IM with 6,000 feet of climbing which I was pretty happy with. On the flats--way faster.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Oct 3, 04 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commute to work on my bike each day plus a long ride on the weekend. I average over 12,000km per year.

Jeez, now that I've written that down, I can't believe I can stay so FAT.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about 10k miles per year for the past three years, but my longest race is 40k (TT) so most of that is higher intensity stuff

shooting for a 40k in the 54-55 minute range by next summer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at 4598 miles, 100% outdoors. My longest ride is 183.5 miles, off-road racing on a singlespeed. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: yearly mileage [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for sanity reasons, I do not count anymore...
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: yearly mileage [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am about 2:30 - 2:35 HIM bike split with this amount of volume. You can probably ride this fast with less bike mileage, as I did last year, but your run will suffer. I did two 1:33s off the bike in my races this year."

Wow!! That's pretty darn fast for not riding a ton. How much do you run? I have every intention of doing my first half IM (or two) next summer and would be pleased as punch to put up splits like that. My goal next year is to do a dozen 100+ mile weeks and a couple 200 mile weeks ... I would like to be under 5 hours (My Oly races are always 2:10 to 2:20) but I realize the 1/2IM is no walk in the park. -TB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually about 4,000-4,500 miles per year (combo of road riding mostly, time trials, triathlon and mountain biking). Not going to count my inside riding on the trainer as I have no idea how far this would be (? 500 miles).

My SINGLE longest ride THIS year was 103 miles (not counting multi-day tours). Goal for cycling is a 60 min 40K (which would be 24.8 mph - tough for me for sure).

Seems like some damn fast cyclists around here!

Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ 4381 mi. longest week 240.

talk softly and ride a fast bike
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: yearly mileage [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I hold the current rate I've been at the past 10 weeks then I'll probably have somewhere around ... 15K miles ... 1,100+ hours ... 1,500,000+ feet of gain. However, if we took my totals from a year ago today up until today it would be like a third or fourth of that, with a lot of it coming in the past few months.

My momentum right now feels huge, and a "big" week at work for me is 25 hours, with the average being 20. I've never been this consistent though, so the next 42 weeks will tell the full story.

How fast am I? I havn't trained for a race in about 9 years and like I said, I've never been that consistent. Several years of this and I'll be fast though, no doubt. First race in a LONG time is around the corner at Desert Princess, where the run is going to humiliate me in a big way. I don't expect to qualify at Desert Princess, but qualifying for worlds duathlon is not that competitive for AG's, so I'm looking to give it a go at Alabama next year to have a great excuse to go check out Italy.
Last edited by: JoeMWiley: Oct 3, 04 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9500 miles for the year so far. Longest ride 170 miles.

train for OLs, Half IMs, IMs and sometimes a marathon too.

biggest week 300 miles. Riding season will go all the way to December and then go indoors Jan, and Feb and when it gets icey and snowy on the roads in December. Typical time sor 25 miles on the bike during OL is around 1:00.

In recovery week 3 from IM MOO so doing about 40-60 miles at a time only until training starts up in a few weeks

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply