Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does get to be an interesting question. Maybe you focus all of the intensity on your weakest sport though? Or maybe you focus it all on running where you get more running economy benefit from it?

Or maybe you focus it all on cycling where there is less injury risk?

Would be cool for some of the top triathlon coaches to chime in

Scotttriguy wrote:
Although wonder how his 9 sessions of high intensity during the month works for 3 sport athletes - that would mean only 3 high intensity sessions for each discipline per month, unless I'm mis-understanding something.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the aim is to have hard days and easy days, where within a day you might have hard bike and run intervals (separate workouts). In theory this can work because DOMS hasn't yet set in. Just how much cross-talk (i.e. one impacting the next) there would be, optimal frequencies, and such are probably both individual and sport-specific. You know, YMMV.

It's also possible this is why triathletes can be superb athletes, but often get crushed by our brothers and sisters who are single-sport athletes--they get in more specific quality workouts and recovery.

I know several of the coaches have already opined that it's very athlete specific. Can't imagine they've changed position on this. You probably need a coach that specifically trains their athletes this way, but so far that voice hasn't made itself known. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the triathlon world.

jackmott wrote:
That does get to be an interesting question. Maybe you focus all of the intensity on your weakest sport though? Or maybe you focus it all on running where you get more running economy benefit from it?

Or maybe you focus it all on cycling where there is less injury risk?

Would be cool for some of the top triathlon coaches to chime in

Scotttriguy wrote:
Although wonder how his 9 sessions of high intensity during the month works for 3 sport athletes - that would mean only 3 high intensity sessions for each discipline per month, unless I'm mis-understanding something.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I can try to give some insight in this kind of training since I grew up in it as a cross country skier in Norway. So first of all, this is nothing new, and the use of lactate and HR monitor started in the beginning of the 80. The interesting thing is that the HR monitor was mostly used to keep intensity down and sometimes we had to walk uphill to keep it low enough (you will find a lot of long hills in Norway).

Also training under this system is based on time, not speed. You will go and run/ski/roller ski for 90 minutes. Nowhere in your training plan will a coach tall you your speed. You as an athlete need to find out what is easy and stay there. One good sign, if people stop talking during an easy workout the intensity is too high. Yes, an easy workout is talking speed and yes you have to scale back in the hills (that is hard for cyclists).

During intervals individual start is quite common, you should not push too hard in the beginning and then die, but keep the whole workout at the correct level (do not go into read). For the top level skiers, using lactate is quite common to make sure they are not pushing too hard or too low during intervals (hard is usually most common, but low if the athlete is tired or close to overtraining).

How to set up a program with this methodology.
If you work out every day, you can have 5 easy days and 2 hard. If you work out more, keep 2 hard sessions and just add easy. For adults, intervals should be around 30 minutes (4x8,5x6, 6x5). The reference to 4x4 in the video is actually a reference to a debate in Norway about intensity, intervals and if you need easy training. If 2 hard sessions seams hard, start with one.
You will find it frustrating to go slow so maybe turn off your GPS and Strata :-)
During intervals, make sure the first one is the slowest, do not start too hard.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
And yes, I got in hell of a shape using this (sadly many of my competitors did the same ;-)

I've always been curious about how the elite skiers trained in Norway with all those big weeks of ski walking and such. Aren't they also doing a fair bit of strength training? I looked at a power profile for a recent MTB training race and was surprised a the power nmbers. The race was hour fifteen, time spent in the upper power zones looked like this

VO2Max 324-370 07:39
Z6 Anaerobic 370-463 10:15
Z7 Neuromuscular 463-MAX 06:19

So, a lot of time doing 10 second blasts of 700w followed by coasting. How would doing 4-6 minute intervals prepare me for all the anaerobic work? Even a nordic skier is doing a lot of work in the anaerobic zone, how do they improve those energy systems with this type of work?
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Halvard wrote:
I can try to give some insight in this kind of training since I grew up in it as a cross country skier in Norway. So first of all, this is nothing new, and the use of lactate and HR monitor started in the beginning of the 80. The interesting thing is that the HR monitor was mostly used to keep intensity down and sometimes we had to walk uphill to keep it low enough (you will find a lot of long hills in Norway).

Also training under this system is based on time, not speed. You will go and run/ski/roller ski for 90 minutes. Nowhere in your training plan will a coach tall you your speed. You as an athlete need to find out what is easy and stay there. One good sign, if people stop talking during an easy workout the intensity is too high. Yes, an easy workout is talking speed and yes you have to scale back in the hills (that is hard for cyclists).

During intervals individual start is quite common, you should not push too hard in the beginning and then die, but keep the whole workout at the correct level (do not go into read). For the top level skiers, using lactate is quite common to make sure they are not pushing too hard or too low during intervals (hard is usually most common, but low if the athlete is tired or close to overtraining).

How to set up a program with this methodology.
If you work out every day, you can have 5 easy days and 2 hard. If you work out more, keep 2 hard sessions and just add easy. For adults, intervals should be around 30 minutes (4x8,5x6, 6x5). The reference to 4x4 in the video is actually a reference to a debate in Norway about intensity, intervals and if you need easy training. If 2 hard sessions seams hard, start with one.
You will find it frustrating to go slow so maybe turn off your GPS and Strata :-)
During intervals, make sure the first one is the slowest, do not start too hard.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
And yes, I got in hell of a shape using this (sadly many of my competitors did the same ;-)

I've always been curious about how the elite skiers trained in Norway with all those big weeks of ski walking and such. Aren't they also doing a fair bit of strength training? I looked at a power profile for a recent MTB training race and was surprised a the power nmbers. The race was hour fifteen, time spent in the upper power zones looked like this

VO2Max 324-370 07:39
Z6 Anaerobic 370-463 10:15
Z7 Neuromuscular 463-MAX 06:19

So, a lot of time doing 10 second blasts of 700w followed by coasting. How would doing 4-6 minute intervals prepare me for all the anaerobic work? Even a nordic skier is doing a lot of work in the anaerobic zone, how do they improve those energy systems with this type of work?

I think the best cross country skiers are really good to control effort level during a race. They cannot go into read in the hill without losing a lot of time later in the race. It is all about dicipline. Here you have the HR profile from the American Noah Hoffman. The race starts at 55m and end at 1.32.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/W72VCWQ3YNPFF6B5K4SG22H3OM

As you can see, no big spikes at the top end.

Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Marcell_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcell_S wrote:
Ok, taking this to a practical approach, as I want to give it more of a try.

The 8 minute intervals, what %of FTP am I aiming? 110% seems a little high, as I am likely to hit exhaustion on that. 105% seems more realistic and would probably give me the build up to 90% MHR mentioned.
In regards to how best to start off, would it be advisable to aim for the target wattage, lets say 105% and then try and complete 8 minutes, then another 8 minutes until I fail. Or should I go in with the strategy of say 4 minutes x 4/5 and gradually build the interval length each week?
And at what point should i re-assess and up the wattage if I am going for this building time approach?
Or do I start at something like the 4 min intervals at 110% and as i increase the interval decrease the intensity very slightly?

This was generally the way I approach sweetspot until I hit 5x20 and decided that was enough volume for one session! But I am conscious with this I want to have an eye on increasing wattage if my physiology improves as I get fitter.

Secondly, I dug out an old physiological test that shows my power/HR at LT and LTP. Is this of any use for the slow element? My LT was about 220, and LTP around 260 for 2mmol. Its a few years old now and I was not as fit back then, but I have the HR that corresponds to that, should I stick below this LTP ~2mmol?

just stumbled upon this, a little late to the game I know. Question, say I am willing to try this and on a saturday morning we have 2 groups leaving, fast and slow, should I stick with the slow group if it's the day that I am supposed to be in zone 1?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm.. ok. does anyone has a plan that would work for a triathlete who mainly cares about 70.3 performance and an occasional 5/10k?
not looking to steal someone's labor just to get an idea?
thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim 4x per week. Mostly easy, only a little harder then warm-up effort. Some of it *really* hard, maybe four or five minutes at a time.

Bike 3x-5x per week. One session killer hard, with efforts of above FTP, another one hard, but as you get close to the race, switch that ride to include more race pace work.

Run: 5-7x per week, all easy. One hard. More than 10 weeks out, include hard intervals. The last 10 weeks make it a 70 to 90 minute run building to an hour broken at race pace.

That's it.

I accept paypal.
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say easy runs what does that mean?
My open 10k is about 6:15ish pace
13.1 is 6:23, 70.3 run is about 7:15-7:30

Thanks. Paypal works provided results are there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McMillan endurance pace or slower is probably a safe bet.

Or better yet, an enjoyable, conversational pace to just a little faster than that. These are just bread and butter runs.

I also take paypal. But do as Sentania says, and not as I do (which is haphazard training riding on top of bike commuting all the time).

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:

Easy means Easy.

Use your 10k or half-mary time and look at the VDOT tables. COnsider daniel's E-pace to be a speed limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:

Easy means Easy.

Use your 10k or half-mary time and look at the VDOT tables. COnsider daniel's E-pace to be a speed limit.

thanks!!! def looking into this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Swim 4x per week. Mostly easy, only a little harder then warm-up effort. Some of it *really* hard, maybe four or five minutes at a time.

Bike 3x-5x per week. One session killer hard, with efforts of above FTP, another one hard, but as you get close to the race, switch that ride to include more race pace work.

Run: 5-7x per week, all easy. One hard. More than 10 weeks out, include hard intervals. The last 10 weeks make it a 70 to 90 minute run building to an hour broken at race pace.

That's it.

I accept paypal.

Scott (and others), thanks for this. I've spent the last week reading everything I could about the polarized approach. I like what I've read and would like to adopt this approach next season and see how it works. I've been doing the typical threshold/sweet spot training for the last few years and it worked great the first couple of years but I think I'm stuck in a rut and I also think contributed to fatigue issues that caused me some physical problems this year. I'm getting older so recovery and fatigue issues are something I want to pay more attention to next season. So I do like the sounds of having less "hammer time" in my workouts and some more easy time.

The polarized approach makes most sense to me for sprint, oly and IM distance training. If you're to take the approach that one of each SBR workout should be hard, the hard workouts more than cover sprint and oly distance and intensity. I'm good with it for IM as well since IM racing is at easy pace.

I'm having a harder time wrapping my head around a polarized training approach to 70.3 bike training (swim and run I get). I like to ride 4x per week. Let's say two 60 minute workouts, one 75-90 minute workout and the long bike of 150-180 minutes. If we're operating under the assumption that easy is something like 70-75% IF, I'm good with one of the 60 minute workouts being an ass-kicking trainer workout (4x8' at 105% or whatever), the other shorter rides at 70-75%. My concern is how to manage the 150-180 minute long ride. I "think" riding that ride at 70-75% would leave me undertrained for a 70.3 bike ride where I'd be targeting close to 85%. I can trust and have faith in the process but I'd like it explained to me a bit more so I can wrap my noggin around it better.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Sep 13, 14 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do some vo2 work in the long ride but then ride the rest at say 65-70%.

My N=1 found that early season long course race with a 110k bike and doing almost nothing in tempo/threshold (7% of my riding iirc). I felt great for about the first 95k then the last 15k were a really big struggle.

I'd argue that for LC racing as you get closer to the event you may want to adjust the %'s a bit so you have more in the middle, or more longer tempo/threshold intervals type stuff and maybe less vo2.

Don't forget specificity.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 13, 14 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
sentania wrote:

That's it.

I accept paypal.

Scott (and others), thanks for this. I've spent the last week reading everything I could about the polarized approach. I like what I've read and would like to adopt this approach next season and see how it works. I've been doing the typical threshold/sweet spot training for the last few years and it worked great the first couple of years but I think I'm stuck in a rut and I also think contributed to fatigue issues that caused me some physical problems this year. I'm getting older so recovery and fatigue issues are something I want to pay more attention to next season. So I do like the sounds of having less "hammer time" in my workouts and some more easy time.

The polarized approach makes most sense to me for sprint, oly and IM distance training. If you're to take the approach that one of each SBR workout should be hard, the hard workouts more than cover sprint and oly distance and intensity. I'm good with it for IM as well since IM racing is at easy pace.

I'm having a harder time wrapping my head around a polarized training approach to 70.3 bike training (swim and run I get). I like to ride 4x per week. Let's say two 60 minute workouts, one 75-90 minute workout and the long bike of 150-180 minutes. If we're operating under the assumption that easy is something like 70-75% IF, I'm good with one of the 60 minute workouts being an ass-kicking trainer workout (4x8' at 105% or whatever), the other shorter rides at 70-75%. My concern is how to manage the 150-180 minute long ride. I "think" riding that ride at 70-75% would leave me undertrained for a 70.3 bike ride where I'd be targeting close to 85%. I can trust and have faith in the process but I'd like it explained to me a bit more so I can wrap my noggin around it better.

thanks for asking this. I was sitting trying to phrase the question. I also train for HIMs mostly, now, my longest bike ride is 40-45 miles. how do I structure that?
my undestanding is that long rides should be done at low intensity zone 1 with kick ass sessions of 4x8 or 6x10 saved for the hard days. Now, if long rides are easy and other sessions are intense is it ok to add short (like 45-60 min easy bike sessions)?

Now, for bricks, I try to run off the bike EVERY time even if for 5-10 min. So, say after a hard bike session should I do a hard run? and after an easy bike session should I do an easy run or mix it up?

Also, the closer you get to race day how does it change? harder and more often?
thanks
Last edited by: Bypasskid: Sep 13, 14 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Stephen Seiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stephen Seiler wrote:
Well, actually our work with elite endurance athletes suggests that the zone your describe which is above MLSS but below VO2 max (~89-93% of max heart rate typically in well trained) is a really effective training intensity. In the Norwegian system, this is zone 4 of 5 aerobic zones. Seems that athletes can accumulate a lot of minutes there and stimulate adaptation, without digging too deep of a hole for themselves stresswise. And, they race well in zone 5, so the adaptations transfer up a zone :-) We think it also transfers down to threshold intensity, which is probably more imporant for triathletes.

Stephen, first of all thank you for chiming in, much appreciated. Do you think you would be able to address the question I posted in the previous post regarding brick sessions (bike/run) and also swim/run? Also, on my 4x8 bike session yesterday I mostly went into zone 4 with an occasional zone 5 (did it outside in the park, wind didn't help),
would you consider that a productive session? the day before and today was VERY easy.
thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
sentania wrote:

That's it.

I accept paypal.

thanks for asking this. I was sitting trying to phrase the question. I also train for HIMs mostly, now, my longest bike ride is 40-45 miles. how do I structure that?
my undestanding is that long rides should be done at low intensity zone 1 with kick ass sessions of 4x8 or 6x10 (that would just about kill me). Now, if long rides are easy and other sessions are intense is it ok to add short (like 45-60 min easy bike sessions)?

Now, for bricks, I try to run off the bike EVERY time even if for 5-10 min. So, say after a hard bike session should I do a hard run? and after an easy bike session should I do an easy run or mix it up?
thanks

Of course it's ok to add easy hourish sessions. While the time may vary from person to person this is essentially what the majority of your training will consist of if following a polarized approach and you'll be training more than all of the people who stay home because they think one hour isn't enough.

Regarding brick/transition runs you should save most of your hard running for when you're fresh. 2 or 3 hard bike/hard run sessions per season is probably enough. The rest can be mixed around a bit but only the bike part should vary in intensity and the runs should then all be mostly easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
sentania wrote:

That's it.

I accept paypal.

my undestanding is that long rides should be done at low intensity zone 1 with kick ass sessions of 4x8 or 6x10 (that would just about kill me). Now, if long rides are easy and other sessions are intense is it ok to add short (like 45-60 min easy bike sessions)?

thanks

Of course it's ok to add easy hourish sessions. While the time may vary from person to person this is essentially what the majority of your training will consist of if following a polarized approach and you'll be training more than all of the people who stay home because they think one hour isn't enough.

Regarding brick/transition runs you should save most of your hard running for when you're fresh. 2 or 3 hard bike/hard run sessions per season is probably enough. The rest can be mixed around a bit but only the bike part should vary in intensity and the runs should then all be mostly easy.

I have to get the idea of junk miles out of my head... sigh... What should my time/mileage be per week in prep for a HIM? can I still do 1 track session per week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't really say for the time and distance recommendation. It depends on too many factors the most I could do is tell you if you should do more or less based on your current training.

A track session is a great idea because it will allow you to reach a very high intensity and that's obviously very important when the rest of your training is easy. And just forget about the junk miles concept. Unless you're overtrained pretty much more is better. Riding for an hour will benefit you more than not riding. To get better at SBR you need to SBR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Can't really say for the time and distance recommendation. It depends on too many factors the most I could do is tell you if you should do more or less based on your current training.

A track session is a great idea because it will allow you to reach a very high intensity and that's obviously very important when the rest of your training is easy. And just forget about the junk miles concept. Unless you're overtrained pretty much more is better. Riding for an hour will benefit you more than not riding. To get better at SBR you need to SBR.

ok thanks. I pretty much do weekly track sessions as of now, will drop my other runs to slow... thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
You can do some vo2 work in the long ride but then ride the rest at say 65-70%.

My N=1 found that early season long course race with a 110k bike and doing almost nothing in tempo/threshold (7% of my riding iirc). I felt great for about the first 95k then the last 15k were a really big struggle.

I'd argue that for LC racing as you get closer to the event you may want to adjust the %'s a bit so you have more in the middle, or more longer tempo/threshold intervals type stuff and maybe less vo2.

Don't forget specificity.

Brian,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking... maybe to adjust my long ride closer to the event so that I'm hitting sweet spot percentages. Maybe have my last four rides like that.

What about alternating weeks of easy long rides and sweet spot long rides? Any negative to that?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
sentania wrote:

That's it.

I accept paypal.

Cant say that I am surprised at all by this response. Polarized model works great. IMO the caveat is that you need to have a relatively sound base going in. ie. no low hanging fruit. I think yourself fits this well. Should help you break through the plateau and more importantly the fatigue issues you were having on your previous program.
Last edited by: bcagle25: Sep 14, 14 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
sentania wrote:

That's it.

I accept paypal.

Cant say that I am surprised at all by this response. Polarized model works great. IMO the caveat is that you need to have a relatively sound base going in. ie. no low hanging fruit. I think yourself fits this well. Should help you break through the plateau and more importantly the fatigue issues you were having on your previous program.

You do not need to be fit to start to train after the polarized model.
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlon.org/...nce_in_Triathlon.pdf

Discussion
Ironman training was performed mainly in zone 1, although competition is mainly performed
in zone 2. While a deeper analysis must be made, the training-competition relationship seems
to suggest the importance of easy training versus moderate training (2). These results highlight
the importance of training intensity distribution for optimal training (3,4). For triathletes who
have more time to train, there seems to be a polarized distribution of training. It should be
noted that the 2 subjects who were excluded had trained in zone 2 for 40-50% of the total
training time, suggesting an upper limit for Zone 2 training accumulation. These data suggest,
apart from specific race pace workouts for swimming and cycling events, there is no need to
accumulate additional training in zone 2. However, additional training time seems to result in
optimal performance. But to be successful in a triathlon, it appears that any extra training
should be performed in zone 1. Since triathletes spend the greatest amount time cycling in
both training and competition, it is possible that this is where training can be less intense,
limiting time in zone 2. Further research is needed to test this hypothesis.

Conclusion
The Ironman triathlon is performed mainly in zone 2 (swimming and cycling phases), but
most of the training should be conducted in zone 1 in all disciplines for maximizing
performance.

Last edited by: TOMOP: Oct 4, 14 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Polarized Training - Interesting Lecture Video [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you interested in Seiler's work, here's another presentation. Although it's on rowing, it's still pretty interesting/informative: https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply

Prev Next