Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar 720i and power
Quote | Reply
Just received my new Polar 720i with power unit.

Now training is not difficult, what will be difficult is figuring out how all that works, and how to properly use all these functions. Should be interesting though !!!

Any other users that would have tips on how to make best use of the many features of this heartrate monitor (to save me some time and efforts).

Thanks a lot, oh and I'm in for the Ironman Switzerland meeting of slowtwitchers. I won't do the Ironman (my big event this year will be aitoman) but I may do the olympic distance or middle distance for fun.

Oh and I hope that people won't put an embargo on my post just because I speak french.

A slowtwitcher is a slowtwitcher (French or American or Swiss, ...).
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 720i and power [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there are many shortcuts to be had. Here is the process I recommend you follow:

1. Read both manuals cover to cover.

2. Install the power unit on your bike. Be accurate and make sure you stay within tolerances. Here is one install shortcut--- You can get by without actually weighing your chain if you use a Dura Ace or Record 10 chain. They give chain length, link count, and weights for standard length chains in the power meter manual. You can estimate the weight by multiplying the weight they provide by the (number of links in your chain / number of links in the the chain in their manual)

3. Install the software on your PC.

4. Program your HR monitor through the PC software and the upload/download settings feature. This is the only other shortcut I found and is much simpler than using the watch interface.

5. Use www.trainingbible.com to log your workouts--- You can then upload your Polar data directly to the site. (I am sure there are other programs/sites that also accept Polat HR data.)

Cheers,

MK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between the Polar S710 and S720i. As much as I know the i stand for the improved infrared interface and the S720i has a steel frame. Any other differences. I will probably buy one of them.

The olympic race in Zurich is good. There a quite some spectators on heart break hill (which you have to do once more than in the IM). Are you from France or Switzerland?

Felix, Switzerland

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 720i and power [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Felix,

720i and 710 basically have the same features. The frame (much better looking) and the infrared connection are indeed the two differences). 720i is a little bit more expensive.

I am from Switzerland, Vevey. Go see our site at www.trivevey.ch.

Looking forward to see you soon on some races around here.

Laurent Schmutz (I know, terrible last name).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info on the Polar 720i.

I just checked your results on Datasport.com. I saw that you have done all your triathlons in Vevey (didn't know that there is a triathlon), Lausanne and Nyon. This year I will do Nyon (Swiss Championship) and perhaps Lausanne Triathlon.

Felix Weilenmann

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 720i and power [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did one little Triathlon in Préverenges, near Lausanne (but not on the datasport site) and Nice in September.

Vevey is the oldest Triathlon in Switzerland, started in 1983. It is not affiliated to the federation, which is why it is hard to know about it if you don't live in the area.

It used to be the University swiss championships every year almost, but then the federation decided to award this to one of their "official races".

I think that at one point the federation really wanted Vevey organisers to join, because of the history of the event, being the first, but the Vevey organisers want the race to stay a family and local event, and without all the rules of the other official Triathlons.

It is also the only Triathlon in Switzerland that I know where drafting is allowed on the bike (very hilly course at the beginning with beautiful setting, and then flat in the end where packs form).

It is a race I would definitely recommend to the young athletes (15-20) preparing for the ITU drafting format. THe distances are and have always been since 1983, 700m swim, 33km bike, 5km run (used to be 6 but has changed 2 years ago).

Looking forward to seeing you in either Zurich or Lausanne. If you want to contact me for any other information, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Laurent (lschmutz@probert.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you must be very particular with the installation of the power unit. it is very picky. leave some of the zip ties a little loose, then check to see if it is reading properly before you tighten them. the cadence magnest must read properly for the whole schebang to work, so make sure that works right from the get go. it may give wacky numbers at first, i hope polar has fixed this problem already. i had to send mine back to them twice before it worked right. DON'T over tighten the zip ties, they can cut the wires.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Polar 720i and power [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info/warning. I hope it works well the first time. I think I'll get it installed by a bike shop, less chances to do it wrong and I'm not a very handy person either (not like Dan for sure).
Quote Reply