Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled
Quote | Reply
Well, I was really looking forward to a challenging swim at the Poconos 70.3. With at least part of the course against the current, this really could have been a swimmer's race. Of course, we all know the reality. The weatherman is predicting rain every day here in the northeast. So, surely the river will not be safe for a swim. Either a) the current will be too fast, b) the water will be too dirty, or c) it will be too windy to swim. I'm not sure how these decisions will be made objectively, but I'm sure race officials will do what's best for the masses who are new to the sport, i.e. reduce liability by not holding a swim. So, which excuse will it be - a, b, or c?

So, I've begun my preparation for the Poconos 69.1 duathlon. Where should I try to start for the optimal drafting effect? Should I bring my aero toe covers? Should I even bother to bring a wetsuit? I guess I could use it to warm up in the water for the duathlon. If the swim is cancelled, will there be someone patrolling the water to make sure no one tries to swim?

I am pretty bummed out about this one. If anyone can give me some false hope like they did at Steelhead, I would appreciate it.

Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so you are thinking the swim will be cancelled vs. the swim officially being cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again i spoke with parks and rec in DWG. they said it shoul be down to swimmable depth barring flash floods ALL week
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's coming to terms with what most of us knew over a year ago when the date for this race was announced-that there's no way there would be a swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't really call your post a complaint, but if everyone knew this a year ago, I'd expect that their wont be any bitching if it comes to pass. ;-)

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Poconos 70.3 thread contains the most preemptive bitching in the history of Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There will be NO practice swim on Friday, September 30, Saturday, October 1 or on Sunday, October 2 prior to the startof the race. You will have approximately 4 minutes in between swim waves to acclimate to the water on race day."

From the Athlete's Guide. Boy, that would have been a recipe for disaster for some.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to pack a trainer (or a second bike) for warm-up purposes instead of the wetsuit :P

Anyways, they really should have different rules/guidelines for the swim with regards to pros vs age-group. Even then maybe the guidelines should have some middle ground for the AGers where you can voluntarily do the du and remove yourself from the awards. It's one thing of the water conditions are truly dangerous and life-threatening for all, it's a completely different story when they are making the decision based on the BOP AGers.

Anyways, here is the river forecast - http://bit.ly/nHfHME

The forecast only goes out 48hrs, but we should have a good idea come Friday morning about the river conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who needs to practice swimming any way. Lots of things you can do to warm up properly on dry land.

Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been some crappy pro swimmers. Also keep in mind, how many deaths in the water at tris have been actually attributed to drowning? I'm sure its happened, most of the time it seems like its other factors.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed. I stopped looking at the Facebook page for the race because the only thing people were posting on it was paranoia and endless whining about the bike course. Slowtwitch is complaints about the swim. Maybe the Pocono Record website has the negativity on the run course.

Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
The Poconos 70.3 thread contains the most preemptive bitching in the history of Slowtwitch.

+1

This is my first ever 70.3, and I'm incredibly excited for the race. Will it be cold? Yes. Would some advice on what to wear be helpful? Yes. Does that mean I'm going to whine about the race being cold, about the river being fast, or about the course--which is in the mountains--being hilly? Hell no!

The great thing about racing is that it entirely is voluntary. Thus, if you don't want to race, don't show up on Sunday. But if you DO show up, please keep your negativity to yourself; some of us have trained very hard for this and are looking forward to it, regardless of the weather.

I just hope there isn't as much bitching about IMNYC...wait...what's that you say? There's already a thread where people bitch about the price, the heat, and the fact that it isn't really in NYC? Damn! Guess I'll just have to get used to some negativity after all.

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick races where there is less to bitch about. They exist, believe it or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Pick races where there is less to bitch about. They exist, believe it or not.

That made me laugh. I'll start looking for less bitch-worthy races. And taking suggestions for some 70.3's in my prep for IMNYC.

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it seems to me the races most people bitch about are wtc races. the smaller/independent races seem to get much more positive reviews (at least when it comes to the half ironman distance). my guess is that is due toa few factors...starting with the athlete's actually doing the races (and bitching). unfortunately the un-silent minority make the biggest stink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:

+ INFINITY. Sheesh, what a bunch of whiners.

It's shocking that weather issues might negatively impact a triathlon held in the Poconos Mtns in Oct???
Getouttatown!!!

Why did nobody tell anyone about this prior?
Oh, wait....

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good information there! I'll definitely remember the trainer. Perhaps you could pass your thoughts on re: pro vs. AG to USAT, WTC, anyone else who will listen. I hope that all pros and those AGers that care - should do the same.

On your hydrograph, is there a certain water level which officials deem the river "unsafe to swim"?

On a side note, having a warm up for a swim is really nice too. Not sure why so many races try to limit/eliminate swim warm ups.

Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an interesting comment. Could you please expand. For the races with limited warmup opportunity this is quite relevant. I never seem to get enough warmup before the swim. In a pool, it takes me about 1 Km before I get going.
Any dryland suggestions for swim warmup would be welcome, especially if they are based on experience.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [j_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j_d wrote:
This is an interesting comment. Could you please expand. For the races with limited warmup opportunity this is quite relevant. I never seem to get enough warmup before the swim. In a pool, it takes me about 1 Km before I get going.
Any dryland suggestions for swim warmup would be welcome, especially if they are based on experience.
Thanks

I think Brian was just funnin' me, since I'm always whining about not warming up for the swim.

A recent race has me rethinking the swim warmup a bit, though. I've always thought that I needed a long swim warmup, based on how I swim in training (also takes me a solid 800-1000yds before I feel ready). But the race in question was a reverse triathlon: run/bike/swim, so I had exactly zero swim warmup before the race. I did have ~19 minutes of running and about 30 minutes of biking to "warm up". As happened in 2010, I got in the water and felt just fine, and hammered the swim without issue. It was a shortish swim (maybe 500yds), but I never felt like I was going to blow up. http://www.jsmultisport.com/...erall%20Standard.htm

I'm not suggesting a 50 minute hammerfest warmup is necessary, but doing something other than swim for a warmup might be sufficient.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not even doing this race, but the amount of complaining sometimes makes me embarrassed to be a triathlete. "The roads have potholes, the swim is too cold, the swim is too warm and wetsuits aren't allowed, the swim has a current, it's too hilly on the bike, it's too hot, it's too windy, it's too humid. The course was long. The course was short" etc. etc. etc. Geez. I just did a bike race in Belgium - the course scared the heck out of me (still fun, though), but I did not hear a word of complaint from any of the cyclists. I remember, while driving the course, commenting to my wife, "Imagine if there were triathletes doing this course?" Collectively, as triathletes, we all need to be a little tougher and relish the tough features on a course or enjoy the days when nature makes an event tougher.
Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
I'm not even doing this race, but the amount of complaining sometimes makes me embarrassed to be a triathlete. "The roads have potholes, the swim is too cold, the swim is too warm and wetsuits aren't allowed, the swim has a current, it's too hilly on the bike, it's too hot, it's too windy, it's too humid. The course was long. The course was short" etc. etc. etc. Geez. I just did a bike race in Belgium - the course scared the heck out of me (still fun, though), but I did not hear a word of complaint from any of the cyclists. I remember, while driving the course, commenting to my wife, "Imagine if there were triathletes doing this course?" Collectively, as triathletes, we all need to be a little tougher and relish the tough features on a course or enjoy the days when nature makes an event tougher.

Here here!

Quote | Reply
I think for this race maybe no warmup b/c even with a small current some people could end up in the Atlantic before the race starts if you let them out there for a warmup for too long....but it is frustratiting when no warmup is allowed.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I;m pretty sure the ideal race for a IM triathlete is 2.4 in an endless pool at the perfect temp, 112 miles on a trainer (it would have to be a lemond rev), then a 26.2 mile run on a treadmill. If you insist on a super flat boring course, might as well take it to the extreme
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truer words could not be spoken, my friend. Personally, I am looking forward to brutally cold temperatures and a difficult swim. Unfortunately, the complainers are going to ruin it for everyone, i.e. I don't think there will be a swim.

Quote Reply
Re: Pocono 70.3 swim cancelled [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
False - The swim would be a channel swim with a current so you just floated in. The bike would be a straight downhill at a 4% grade so you can coast at 22+ mph. The run would be a treadmill with AC and a bunch of fan'ts with Ironman hawaii on TV.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply

Prev Next