Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please recommend triathlon running socks
Quote | Reply
Good morning everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for easy to put on running socks for triathlons (quick and easy to put on).
I usually go sockless for oly's and lower, but I have a 70.3 later this month and I don't think I can get threw the 21.1 km without getting blisters.
I train in your everyday cotton running socks, but have started adding distance and I can feel that this will become a problem.
Just looking for recommendations and what others have had success with.

Thanks

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Balega socks. I use the no show version. Super easy to put on and have never had blisters. For an HIM and above, I usually go with the thicker version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Swiftwick Aspire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the XTERRA ankle socks and have been happy with them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smartwool! I wore a pair the very first time I ran a marathon, it poured down rain the entire time, and I did not suffer a single blister or annoyance or anything from the socks. I should say that I have been wearing them ever since (20 yrs) and have never tried another brand, so there may well be better, cheaper, etc. products out there and I'll just never know it. But give them a look/try.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
Balega socks. I use the no show version. Super easy to put on and have never had blisters. For an HIM and above, I usually go with the thicker version.

This. They are the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deal with runners all the time, from I run a mile a week to world class runners.

Socks are as individual as anything. I've seen Olympians wearing cotton socks who never think about what they put on when they run and others wearing balega's or other top end socks and will only run/race in a certain sock brand/type (and/or have a race only pair or 2)

Most running shops have a bin of socks for people to try on (you'd be amazed at how many people come in to try on shoes sockless (facepalm))

You best bet is to try on a few pair. Then buy 1 pair from 2 or 3 brands you like. Try them out in a variety of shoes and go with the one that you like the best and fits the best. Then stock up on your fav sock(s).

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeFeet have served me well for 30+ years. Many, many 70.3s and IMs in them.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the sock matters that much, wouldn't suggest 100% cotton but I find the fit of the shoe to be more important than the socks as far as blister prevention. Most of my socks are stance but I've used swiftwick, drymax, nike among others and never had an issue with blisters due to the socks. Just get the height and thickness you prefer.

As far as being easy to put on, I fold/roll the socks down to just behind the ball of my foot and leave them in transition this way. Just need to put your toes in and unfold/unroll the socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [iainyoung8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iainyoung8 wrote:
scooter23 wrote:

This. They are the best.

This. My feet love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drymax. There are other material blends that are better in dry conditions that I would use for a straight marathon, but for moisture management nothing beats Drymax socks. If you happen to get your feet wet during the swim like I often do, that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like DeFeet and Injinji toe socks (i.e socks with a little pocket for each toe) . The toe socks can be a little slower to put on, but I never get blisters. They come in a variety of thicknesses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steigen. I have been using these for a couple of years and feel great. Very light, you don't feel you are wearing socks, wicking perfectly and preventing blisters. Strange that they are single size up to US Size 12 but they work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after trying various socks that all sucked, I found that the best socks are the cheep low-cut socks in Marshall's or TJMax. They are usually branded to some running shoe company like saucony or puma, but really its just some generic sock
Its amazing that for the price of a single sock (not even a pair), I can buy 6 pairs and they are much better
but its very personal, may not work for others
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [Iozarate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CEP Compression

Use the long ones for road racing, the short ones for Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to give up running following a knee injury but have always run in Wright socks. Never had a blister with them, pulled on rather easily onto damp feet. I do think that Desert Dude’s try em all and stock up on the ones you like is the best approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [Egn85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Egn85 wrote:
I like Swiftwick Aspire.

^^^^This.

After years of cycling and running in Defeet, Sockguy, etc. found that I get far fewer blisters and hotspots with Aspires so switched completely over to them.

For racing I'd recommend a sock with an ankle cuff (i.e. not a no-show sock). IME they are far easier/faster to pull on.

When practicing putting on socks, try doing it right after exiting the pool after a hard set (even if you are planning to put socks on in T2, not T1). Pulling socks onto wet feet and with your heartrate sky high is a very different experience from trying them on in your living room.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Socks are as individual as anything.

I agree with this. Having said that, I've become smitten with Swiftwick Pursuits for their versatilty. They're wool and keep my feet dry, so good in sweltering heat and freezing cold. I use them for every activity in every season. They now have a thinner version if you like a thinner sock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swiftwick brand, and pick the Aspire or Performance models. They are excellent for tri because they handle water so well. I've never had a blister in them and have been using them for over 10 years. Their other socks are also great, but they're thicker and less suitable to sweaty/swimmy conditions.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tri shop I was sponsored by got us Swiftwick socks when the company was starting. At first was just cycling but they expanded. I use their socks, for running, cycling, going to work, traveling. Almost every time I wear socks I wear their socks. The only time I don't is when it is cold and I use wool socks, mostly Castelli.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
Swiftwick brand, and pick the Aspire or Performance models. They are excellent for tri because they handle water so well. I've never had a blister in them and have been using them for over 10 years. Their other socks are also great, but they're thicker and less suitable to sweaty/swimmy conditions.
This! ^^^

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im a big fan of swiftwick. they are very comfortable and easy to slide on.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a bunch and see which you prefer. I’ve used balega a lot and like them.

Recently I got some OS1st and will race in those. They offer cushion and compression, but aren’t super tight to get on like some compression socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend triathlon running socks [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
im a big fan of swiftwick. they are very comfortable and easy to slide on.

Another vote for swiftwick. I wear the aspire zero

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No socks. Problem solved.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next