Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please give me your advice
Quote | Reply
Gang, this is going on day 5 now of no training due to a nasal infection, sore throat, and random coughing. I need to get over this so I can get on the road (bike wise).

Can you give me any advice?

so far I have:

-slept in everyday, rested everynight, ate lots of fruit, drank lots of chicken broth, have not had any alcohol or sweets, and have not taken anything over the counter except advil.

My goal is to be riding this weekend--hopefully Friday. Please let me know if you have any tricks to knock this $!*^ out of town.

much obliged,

kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to your doctor and ask for a "Z Pack"...problem solved (we hope)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sauna's can be helpful in turning over fluids as well, so you can take more good fruit juices/water in. Ultimately though you are on your cold's schedule, not vice-versa. Sometimes you have to let go of the projections you've made in your head for your immediate future, else you end up worse off.
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's a Z pack...

BTW, I don't believe in antibiotics for simple things like this...(they are abused and over used in this country). I know, I'm a pain in the arse...
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 16, 05 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about adding Orange and Echinacea tea to the list, works pretty good for me. Or cream from a saucer whilst curled up in front of an open fire?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I'll go to the steam room today. maybe that will help me. thanks!

(geesh, this is advice I would give someone, yet I can't apply it to myself. the irony!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do enjoy a good saucer filled with cream by the fire....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a 3 day antibiotic... if you have a bacterial infection it will work faster than waiting it out and killing it with kindness... the problem is when people are prescribed antiobiotics for viral infections and the common cold, those are a waste of time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd enjoy filling it for you!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saline nasal spray (like Ocean) will help relieve the sinus pressure and start things draining and drying out. Nice thing is there is no limits on usage. Don't refill with a saucer of cream, though.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe in gravity either, I just can't figure out why I keep falling on my ass. :)

I can see not wanting to go on antibiotics for every little thing but a persistent sinus infection can easily lead to bronchitis which can lead to pneumonia, which can lead to death. Yeah, I'd do the antibiotics.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what the hell is cream from a saucer? forgive me I'm from ohio we are not that sophisicated here. we have tractors and corn and stuff, and big factories that spew black smoke.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check this out.....I'm very sensitive to mould and whenever I get struck I do this.....

http://www.doctorhoffman.com/ydouche.htm

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erik, go get a cup of coffee, come back, and think about it again.

meow. kittycat

see you at an hfp race? I'll be the cat on a bianchi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll be doing ceasar creek du in a few weeks, but I am focusing on the flying pig right now so my cycling is not up to speed yet.

we have met before.....looking forward to seeing the new ride :) I have one myself

Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool...you'll like my new ride. she's pretty killer. can't wait to see yours! (no more squeak?...lol)

hope the kiddos are doing well.

BTW, if I see you at the pig, I'll hollar!--I'll be on the sidelines, so let me know your pace. also I've thought about the du, but I'm not sure now...would love to tackle the beast, but have had setbacks on running...we'll see.
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 16, 05 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Start hammering the vitamin C -- I use Ester C -- buffered - -I take 2000mg/day (1/2 in am/1/2 before bed. I also supplement with Emergen-C packet during the day.
2) Breathe right strips to help me sleep at night.
3) Go see a reputable chiropractor (yes, a chiropractor). Mine applies pressure to sinus cavities/forehead/nose which helps drain things.

Good luck.

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a little chain lube does wonders :)

my bike maintenance skills rank up there with Monk's

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sinus irrigation! Get yourself a water pic with a nasal lavage tip and rinse your sinuses 3X a day with saline water (you can make it yourself with Morton's non-iodized salt and tap water. My husband and I are both prone to sinusitis and if I catch it soon enough, I can keep it from going into a full blown infection. That and some antibiotics. They definitely have their place.

Quote | Reply
zinc lozenges (sp?) are the only thing scientically proven to shorten the duration and severity of the common cold (viral). I use the brand "Cold-eeze" that you find in any drug store in the cold medication section. Now if you have a bacterial infection, then it may be time to break out the antibiotics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got real sick 2 wks before IM FL last year. I was eating raw garlic like crazy. I think it helped, although it might have been the Z pack (Zithromax) I took at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [IMKEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the health food store and buy a Neti Pot. It is like a little teapot that you fill with saline and drain/rinse your sinuses out. Like Ocean Spray on steriods. I have allergies and horrible sinuses and do that on a regular basis. Havent had a bad cold/sinus infection in a couple years.
You will drown the first few tries then get real good at it. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is just a cold I never would have stopped training. Get extra sleep, make sure that your nutrition and hydration is optimal and there is nothing else to do.

My Dr. gave me the following rules for training when sick (these guidelines are for an otherwise healthy 30 yr old male)
1. Do not train if training causes an abnormally high heart rate.
2. Do not train if training induces additional coughing.
3. crap, I can't remember the third rule.

It can all be summed up by, if the symptoms are all above the shoulders and if you are willing to add extra rest and good hydration/nutrition then go for it.

I can add a vote for the nasal irrigation. I do it twice a week, it is quick, painless and so far I have never gotten a sinus infection when I was flushing regularly. )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the nasal flush other recommended works well. I use a baby nasal bulb with saline. I had a really bad infection a month ago and this flushed it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Please give me your advice [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NO NO NO

Dare I go into the antibiotic abuse and resistant bacteria spew again! I'm about to go looking for my soapbox.

Kittykat - A "Z-pack" is just a clever marketing tool by the manufacturer for a 3 or 5 day course of azithromycin with an initial loading dose. Wasn't I supposed to see you in my office sometime anyway :)

Prev Next