Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest)
Quote | Reply
For racing when there is going to be a small amount of rain, I will often stuff half a plastic bad down my jersey (chest) area for warmth and water protection. More aero than a vest, and easy to ditch at an aid station when it gets warm. That little bit of plastic saved me from cold rain DNF at Lahti (I should have had arm warmers, but the degree of rain we got in the later age group waves was not in the forecast)

I thought a better option and one that has the additional aero benefit might be this, It weighs nothing, has volume and would provide some rain protection in the cold too.

Quote Reply
Re: Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the extreme 3d printed aero pieces on that guys bike at lahti thread not cause enough arguing over the rules mayhem for you?
/pink
Quote Reply
Re: Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't really have to justify why you're putting this in your jersey under current triathlon rules. You're not allowed to put this in under UCI rules. Put it in, proudly tell everyone it's for aero and go a little bit faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest) [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
You don't really have to justify why you're putting this in your jersey under current triathlon rules. You're not allowed to put this in under UCI rules. Put it in, proudly tell everyone it's for aero and go a little bit faster.

I thought it may be faster than a bottle or camelback, with no weight and easier to run around transition, plus is has the rain jacket effect (at least for front), in the cold. Breathability may be poor in ultra hot, but I thought of it on a cold day, when my jersey was not really "smooth" because the plastic was somewhat crumpled up and I realized that maybe that is a good thing aero wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mathematics wrote:

I thought it may be faster than a bottle or camelback, with no weight and easier to run around transition, plus is has the rain jacket effect (at least for front), in the cold. Breathability may be poor in ultra hot, but I thought of it on a cold day, when my jersey was not really "smooth" because the plastic was somewhat crumpled up and I realized that maybe that is a good thing aero wise.

Only way to know if it's faster is to test it. Generally, the bigger the chest thing is the better it will be. If breathability becomes a limiter then just dump it at an aid station.

Tbf tho, if you're getting a 'rain jacket effect' on your chest then you're probably too upright for such aero devices to be of importance.
Quote Reply
Re: Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest) [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
You don't really have to justify why you're putting this in your jersey under current triathlon rules. Put it in, proudly tell everyone it's for aero and go a little bit faster.

As long as you do not put it in during the swim :-)
Last edited by: longtrousers: Aug 30, 23 3:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You can market it as: My Air Pillow!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Plastic Air Pillows for Aero benefit (chest) [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

You can market it as: My Air Pillow!

And forever be known as Dev, the My Air Pillow guy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just go with a heavier-duty latex balloon? If the aim is to prevent airflow to the area between the chest and arms, wouldn't it be better to get a large balloon, blow it up halfway (or however much you need so) and have it completely fill the cavity open between the chest and arms.

I opted for a bottle due to durability, but if you're going with something inflatable, why not pick something that conforms better?
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 30, 23 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put too much thought into this. It will likely be illegal to do within the next year.

Not only does it add another unneeded/unwanted complexity to the sport, it also makes triathletes appear even more "Jerry/Carl"-esk. Non-purpose serving fairings on the bike are illegal in IM and USAT already. (although people violate this left and right) There will likely be a blurb added to the rules in the future about how trisuits/garments need to be form fitted to the wearer.

TLDR: It looks ridiculous and offers too much of an advantage over those unattuned to the benefits. Let's keep bikes looking like bikes and riders looking like riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder why 90% of the male Pros in Lathi didnt use this trick?? đŸ¤”
Quote Reply