Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off?
Quote | Reply
Strange thing my PF comes back during taper. I had it for the 1st time in June. It lingered for a month but went away when I backed off intensity a little. I was able to run through it no problem. Not sure what caused it to flare up again this time. I have 4 days till my IM. Should I shut down the running? Or keep running to keep it loose?
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, sorry to hear that. I have dealt with my own angry PF for many years and see it a lot in my patients also. Not too surprising that it flared up as it seems like a tissue that likes to be loaded. I would run until you feel it start to come on then stop running. Perhaps do this daily providing pain is under 5 out of 10. If it's greater than that then yes, you need to let it desensitize by taking some off. Ice and golf ball type massage can give you some relief. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dealt with mine by running with heal strike and staying off my midfoot (or forefoot!). This was to keep the load off the PF. I also stretched it, rolled it, rolled it with a ball and the physio would work it over regularly too.
Last edited by: Slunnie: Oct 4, 17 2:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had high hamstring tendonopathy blow up 2 weeks before my IM. No running for 2 weeks prior and it hardly made a difference to my run split on the day to what I had planed and trained for. Rest up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this was not 3 days before your IM I'd recommend using a Strassbourg sock. It really works, but you have to wear it for at least a week before it starts to make a difference. Maybe something to consider for after the race. I'm dealing with a little PF and like yours was fine for a while and then started again a few weeks ago.

Right now of you want to keep fresh just ride and swim. You can do some massage, rolling pin, stretches etc... You should be fine during the race, once your feet get warmed up on the run it won't hurt. Might get a little uncomfortable towards the end of the marathon but PF will be the least of your issues by then :)

trimac2 wrote:
Strange thing my PF comes back during taper. I had it for the 1st time in June. It lingered for a month but went away when I backed off intensity a little. I was able to run through it no problem. Not sure what caused it to flare up again this time. I have 4 days till my IM. Should I shut down the running? Or keep running to keep it loose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:

It could be that not being loose is causing extra strain on the plantar. If I were you I would be sure to rub the foot and keep blood moving, do this every time after sitting for a while. I would also try to stretch the calves a little bit. At this point it is what it is and rarely for soft-tissue injuries is stopping completely an effective cure in my personal experience.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
trimac2 wrote:

It could be that not being loose is causing extra strain on the plantar. If I were you I would be sure to rub the foot and keep blood moving, do this every time after sitting for a while. I would also try to stretch the calves a little bit. At this point it is what it is and rarely for soft-tissue injuries is stopping completely an effective cure in my personal experience.

I'm going to double down on what TG and others have mentioned. I had a "re-flare" of my PF from a few years ago in the last few weeks before my first trip to Kona. I traced it back to my new bike shoes that I forgot to put my old orange superfeet inserts in (from my old bike shoes). I've been rolling on a hard wood roller (the bottom of the foot). And, doing more moderate stretching calfs, hamstrings, glutes, etc. and rolling the calfs, etc. I also sleep with the Strassburg sock. I've been able to run (mostly) up to my plan, and, have all fingers and toes crossed for the big dance.
Good luck. And, enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolling & night brace didn't do much for me. What did help is changing up shoes. I run in 3 different brands now. There is no method to when I switch them but I think it has forced my foot to become stronger by not being able to adapt to one style of shoe. I run in 3 neutral models, Brooks, Asics & Hokas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the EXACT same thing happen a few years back. I rested and used some cupping to keep the blood flowing during taper. I felt fine during the race
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis a few days before IM....run or off? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. There is no pain per se. I feel it after the run. My whole bottom of foot is weak feeling and sore after running. I bet I picked it up after a big block and was running on tired legs with heel stricking a lot. I'm taking a day off running and just run a few days around 2-3 miles.
Quote Reply