Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options
Quote | Reply
Morning all. I'm traveling for work to the the downtown Pittsburgh area. I'll be on site for a week or so. Any tips on best places to grab an open swim? YMCA? Others?

Thanks in advance.

JC
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options [Tri_JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't lived in Pittsburgh for several years but I still try to keep track of things...

Couple of options:

Team Pittsburgh Masters - at the University of Pittsburgh Pool in Oakland at Trees Hall. They have masters in the morning and afternoon. I'm partial this but that's because I'm an alum.

There are 2 YMCA's near downtown. I personally haven't been to either and I think the Thelma one has a masters group.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options [Tri_JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an organized swim but if you just need a lane to get in some laps the Westin in pittsburgh has a health club attached to it. They have a small and shallow lap pool but (Maybe 20m? Complete guess) it was always empty when I was there and it was one of the "best" hotel pools I have used. Could probably get a day pass there for cheap or just stay at the Westin if you are an SPG/Marriott person.
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for their help on this!

JC
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thelma has many tri swimmers and members of the Pittsburgh tri club
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh - Downtown Indoor Swimming Options [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Downtown Y closed in June. Thelma Lovette branch has (I think) 5 lanes and is 25 yards. I only swam there a few times before I moved. If you have a car or want to figure out transportation (it's not complicated), as another poster noted, you could try one of the many master's groups in the area. Team Pittsburgh (Trees Hall at the University of Pittsburgh) has a master's group. There are also master's groups at a Baierl Y in Sewickley, Chartiers Valley HS (offered through Chartiers Valley Swim Club), and Mt. Lebanon HS (offered through Mt. Lebanon Aquatic Club). I think all of them offer drop ins.
Quote Reply