Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pioneer Power Meter
Quote | Reply
I saw in the January issue of Road Bike Action magazine that Pioneer was entering the power market

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...rts/Pedaling+Monitor

Figured anything new to the market, Ray must have got his hands on...and he actually did back in late August

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...r-ant-leftright.html

Assuming the design and price point are still the same...who's ready to drop $3k+ on a power meter that is held on by zip ties?

On a side note, it is pretty cool to see your power measured on each leg throughout the entire stroke. Not really $3k cool...assuming it's even accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extremely interesting, but it doesn't look to be particularly useful or durable....

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a market that could explode soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Results look kind of neat. Setup and aesthetics and price all suck. And it is unproven. This one isn't going anywhere.

Next.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought a UCI pro tour team was using this, Blanco/ Belkin?

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:

Great, I'll have to look for a team with zip ties all over their pedals!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:

Looks like you're right. Although the lower right photo shows an SRM.

Last edited by: Jason N: Dec 27, 13 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think DC Rainmaker is running one right now for an upcoming review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted, the Zip ties are a pretty unfinished look, and the 3k+ price tag is steep. This is not for the Stages crowd. It is for people buying SRMs. It's got to be pretty tough to give a product a finished look when they are adding the product to cranks you already have. If they were taking the cranks from the factory, doing what they want with it, then giving it to you, I'm sure they could give you a more asthetically pleasing product. These types of things are actually very important to Japanese electronic companies, and I'm sure they gave it a lot of thought, and this was the best solution that was cost effective that they could come up with. I think where they may potentially excel is in the head unit. The Japanese and Pioneer, with a long history in electronics, have a huge potential to make a great head unit. The PC from SRM until the latest PC8 which I have no experience with yet, had been an archaic device, with none of the features that have become standard now due to Garmin, like playing well with Strava, mapping, etc. the PC8 had these things now, but I'm expecting it to be still behind Garmin in terms of features. This for me had been the Achilles heel of SRM (besides also the price). SRM is the gold standard for many, many years so Pioneer has a lot of work to do, so we'll have to wait and see. This clearly isn't for the Stages crowd. It's for the neurotic Cervelo P5 Kona people and lance Armstrong wannabe dentists, doctors and hedge fund managers, lol (No offense intended to anyone with this last sentence, just trying to paint a picture).
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I think DC Rainmaker is running one right now for an upcoming review.

That's correct. Aesthetics/install aside, and if you remove the fancy head unit, it's actually priced about the same as everyone else in that $1,600ish range (including true left/right power).

I don't have a publishing timeline yet, mostly because work travel has been pretty busy the last few months making power-meter data gathering (read: getting rides in while home) tough.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Do you have any first impressions you can share with us? What do you think about my assessment above (aside from the mildly offensive stuff)? Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic I know, but them gumwalls are so good looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
The PC from SRM until the latest PC8 which I have no experience with yet, had been an archaic device, with none of the features that have become standard now due to Garmin, like playing well with Strava, mapping, etc. the PC8 had these things now, but I'm expecting it to be still behind Garmin in terms of features. This for me had been the Achilles heel of SRM (besides also the price).

The SRM powercontrol has always had one important advantage over Garmin units, i.e. accurately recording SRM power meter data. Fancy pants features are all very nice but they pale when compared with quality of data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prediction: Component companies will start making cranks or pedals (aside from the current aftermarket) with PMs in them...taking part of the PM market (charging more of course for say--a crank)...putting some of the PM companies out of business. Or...buy a current PM company & rebrand it with say a...SRAM or Shimano company name on it. I'm surprised we haven't seen them built in components already by the major players.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is already the case with Quarq, which is own by SRAM. And the Quarq SRAM RED crank set that came out at the same time as the updated RED group.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [dr.dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if the Pioneer thing pans out and they put out a product that rivals SRM, Shimano, being a Japanese company will likely join Pioneer, another Japanese company, in that venture. If that were to happen, I would definitely expect a "finished product" and a much better form factor than a bunch of zip ties, and hopefully some overall cost savings to the consumer. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
Silvercivic27 wrote:
The SRM powercontrol has always had one important advantage over Garmin units, i.e. accurately recording SRM power meter data. Fancy pants features are all very nice but they pale when compared with quality of data.

Clearly a post from an SRM user. While I do agree that data quality is important, it only needs to have enough quality to be useful. I would argue that most powermeters on the market today have enough data quality to be useful to most people. These fancy pants features are useful to most people. Money is useful to all people. That's when an unnecessary increase in data quality does not outweigh the cost, which is nearly double that of the nearest competitor, and the loss of features which most people find useful. This is why most power users are not using SRM even though it produces the most quality data. The PC8, honestly, I still find underwhelming from reviews and such, behind the times, and I'm sure that anything pioneer puts out will certainly be much more modern and look like the display in a Nissan GT-R.

Disclaimer: if my quarqs broke to the point that they couldn't be repaired, I'd buy SRMs, and would likely use them with my Garmin 800. That being said, I would lose the data quality. I would make that move mostly because The shape of the exogram crank does not work with my anatomy well, and I am not satisfied with the front shifting on the SRAM rings with my otherwise Shimano setups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
[ The shape of the exogram crank does not work with my anatomy well,.

Just have to ask, what about the shape of the crank doesn't work with your anatomy well?

Thanks,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have short legs, very wide feet, and am very bowlegged like a dwarf, so my feet rub the crank arms unless I use an extended pedal axle. My only option for pedal is either Speedplay, which I don't like, or the new Shimano 9000 pedals with the extended spindles, and I'm still using 3mm of spacer to being my feet out. On all other cranks in the past, I could still get away with 2-3mm of spacers and pedals with a standard width like Keos. The 20mm spacers that can be found on fitting sites, which I'm also told Cavendish uses, are too wide for me, and are also not recommended on carbon crank arms probably because of the increased leverage. Also, even with all this, any kind of a thermal overshoe is out of the question for me, so I have to wear a winter shoe +/- a chemical warmer depending on the temp., but that makes temperature regulation very difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The website is up: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...rts/Pedaling+Monitor

Going on sale this month.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Mar 6, 14 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"12 times within each pedal rotation."

If that means what they are implying, it would be extremely useful for sprinters. (track/cycling sprinters, not sprint triathlons)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
I have short legs, very wide feet, and am very bowlegged like a dwarf, so my feet rub the crank arms unless I use an extended pedal axle. My only option for pedal is either Speedplay, which I don't like, or the new Shimano 9000 pedals with the extended spindles, and I'm still using 3mm of spacer to being my feet out. On all other cranks in the past, I could still get away with 2-3mm of spacers and pedals with a standard width like Keos. The 20mm spacers that can be found on fitting sites, which I'm also told Cavendish uses, are too wide for me, and are also not recommended on carbon crank arms probably because of the increased leverage. Also, even with all this, any kind of a thermal overshoe is out of the question for me, so I have to wear a winter shoe +/- a chemical warmer depending on the temp., but that makes temperature regulation very difficult.

Take a look at Keywin pedals. They have axles that will get you up to 9mm wider on each side than the +4mm 9000 pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen or heard anything more about these?

Ray???

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have reworked the whole thing, the zip ties are gone.
Here is a more recent article
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...=120312#.UzXnuIWlvF8

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: Apr 4, 14 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
They have reworked the whole thing, the zip ties are gone.
Here is a more recent article
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...=120312#.UzXnuIWlvF8

We also covered it here a couple months ago:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...uces_Power_4186.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next