Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pinched nerves
Quote | Reply
Well it seems I have pinched my c-7 and c-6 nerves in the base of my neck, I have numbness in my left hand and a ton of pain in my left shoulder and arm, I've been going to physio wich helps when I'm there but 4 or 5 hours after the pain comes back it's 6 days and the pain is about the same I'm about to go out of my mind or go on one big time bender. Anyone ever have this happen? Is there something else I can do after physio at home?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Pinched nerves [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got through a couple months of pain from a pinched nerve between c5 and 6. All I can recommend is a proper pillow, lots of rest, and good posture. If you eliminated the source of the pinch, time will allow the nerve to return to normal. Unfortunately, no quick cure. However, once it starts to get better, it gets better fast. YMMV.

Get well soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See your MD, and ask for an MRI. There is a good chance you may have a disc injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pinched nerve caused by a bulging disc between c5 & c6. I had the numbness on the left side so bad before diagnosis that I was having difficulty walking and had lots of involuntary movements. I never had any pain though other than a dull aching pain in my upper left chest. A vast number of cardiac tests ruled out any problems in that area.

My PT consisted of being in traction to help pull the neck apart ever so slightly, followed by a deep massage of the affected area. I was also given several exercises designed to help strengthen the neck muscles. The bad numbness went away within a few weeks. However, every time I tried to ramp up my running I would start to have numbness again. The jarring of the impact affected the neck. It took me about 2 years to figure out how to overcome that problem with light weights to maintain strength. I've since been able to run fairly high mileage - over 2500 miles in 2008. Some early season foot injuries will keep the mileage to about 2000 this year.

What does your PT recommend for alleviateing the pain? Moist heat may work. I used a damp towel on top of a heating pad. Have they prescribed pain medication? Maybe you need something until the PT starts working. My PT also gave me some exercises to do at home daily.

My injury happened in 2004, and I still have some numbness occasionally if I slack off on the exercises when I run higher mileage. I've also have problems when biking long distances as well. As long as I maintain the neck exercises I do OK though.

Good luck.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also try to find a good chiropractor. I've had damage from a high-school accident in the C3 & C5 areas that no amount of physical therapy will ever fix. Get the neck swelling down, get the neck in a proper position (may take a few treatments to get the neck to stay in proper position), and get your neck stronger through PT.

I know it sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pinched nerves [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had C5/C6 pinched nerve/herniated disc. Had left hand numbness and severe pain in neck and shoulders when it was at it's worst. I did PT, traction, pain meds, reduction in exercise, cortizone shots...etc. All temp fixes to alleviate pain but none were permanent fix.

Ended up having a C5/C6 fusion. Best thing I ever did. I did not lose any range of motion and was up and running in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have exactly the same problem (c6-c7; narrowing gap, pinched nerve). One of the best things that I do is rolling my upper back/shoulders with core foam roller over the floor. It's by no means a fix, but it certainly helps me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pinched nerves [TriChas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies
It's been one week to the day and I have been going to physio she's puting me in neck traction and using a Tenspulser with some accupuncher(sp?) It's going prety good still have quite a bit of pain and numbness but not as bad as it was so I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel along way to go yet but slowly it's getting better.
Thanks again
Quote Reply