Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff.

I am no expert, but it would appear that Lance would be one of those cyclists that REALLY benefits from the use of an aero-bar set up. I don't have any pictures or data to compare, but I would say at least from looks, Chris Boardman was much more aero on his set up in on a standard road/track bike than Lance is from these pictures here.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not sure. It did say that they didn't really intend to prep for the attempt as much as get some figures to present to Lance. I got the impression that they are still just playing with the idea and that #7 is where all the energy is now. If he goes for this it seems like it would be more of something to just to do since he has done the other things on his list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that guy seem to have freakishly long femur bones or what??????

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does that guy seem to have freakishly long femur bones or what??????

This is what I call freakishly long femur

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, Carmichael acknowledged that 7 is the priority. I guess the hour is on the "to do list" for all cyclists who want a legacy.

What surprises me is that, if they're so interested in studying the effect of airflow in different track positions, why did they have Armstrong wear an aero helmet? This changes considerably the way the air flows down his back. For the "athlete's hour", in which Armstrong appears to be interested, the UCI rules say something to the effect that you have to go out and buy a $15 none-aero helmet, full of holes, preferably in pink or lime green. I know he wore the aero for the TT-bike test earlier, but you'd have thought, since he's not going for the superman-position record ('cos he probably couldn't get it) that he might have got another helmet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How cool and pure is that?... Armstrong on a track bike.

FWIW, that's Charmichael's site, so take ANYTHING you read/see there lightly. Dude is, for lack of a better term, so "retail."

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't care how fit Lance is, if that is his "aero position" he ain't going to be celebrating anything. That looks more like a " I just won a Rainbow Jersey" position. Looks to me like the bars need to go down a lot. But then I am about 6 yellows and a Rainbow jersey behind him. G
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
true, he definitely has an advanced degree in pr and marketing :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an article that Boardman wrote about positioning for his hour record and adapting to the position. It's a good read.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/...11_positioning.shtml

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/...chris%20boardman.jpg

Looks like Lance has some work to do.

greg
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [yawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would Boardman knows anything - he is not riding steep. I much prefer Slowman over Boardman.

Tom Demerly necessarily exists, Tom’s essence is existence Tom’s essence is perfect, and therefore Tom’s perfection implies that Tom must exist. Since Tom is infinite substance, no attribute which expresses the essence of substance can be denied of Tom . Every being has its being in Tom. Nothing can come into being or exist without Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [yawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this.

Boardman had great positioning regardless how he was set up and what bike he was riding. I suspect that he got great drag numbers even on the track bike with regular bars.

As I said earlier, Lance is the type of rider, that really benefits from the use of aerobars. His regular road positioning is not that aero. Works for him, obviously( I'm not going to argue with 6 TdF wins), but on his own into the wind, it's not as good as Boardman's or others.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [baruch spinoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duh - have you heard of zee UCI???
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [baruch spinoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT>>>>>> is cool!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that an aero bar setup is *not* allowed for the hour record attempt. Have to do it just like Merckx did it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hour record on a Trek Madone?
Hah! That's a good one. he he he.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How would Boardman knows anything - he is not riding steep."

on the contrary. his lotus was 80 degrees. until it was outlawed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have one of boardman, but it would look something like this:

Quote Reply
Re: Pictures from Lance's hour record wind tunnel test [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks really comfy. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell, but isn't that Boardman?

Styrrell
Quote Reply