Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1")
Quote | Reply
This should really start on Wednesday, when I was due to leave Illinois for Vancouver on an 8pm flight out of Chicago. I was about 2.5-3hrs Southeast of Chicago in a little town called Peoria, and had hoped to get out of there sometime between noon and 15:00 so that I could duck into Lickton's and possibly Rich Ducar's new store on the way to the airport. Unfortunately I ended up getting really busy and didn't leave until 16:45. They're doing some major construction work in Peoria, so my usual conduit out of town was clogged and going nowhere. Time for some "exploratory driving" - but who has time for that? Well, thanks in equal part to Lady Luck and Hertz Neverlost, I found an alternate way to the freeway and only lost around 15-20min.

I was also behind the wheel of a brand new (<430mi when I got it) Volvo XC70. The allowed me to drive at ~120mph until I hit the Chicago suburbs, and I pulled into the Hertz lot at 18:45 (including a fuel stop) - not bad! Major props to the Neverlost system, and a big "You Suck!" to the Chicago airport signage - without my trusty GPS I'd never have made my flight.

Waited another 15 for the shuttle to the terminal, checked in, and was confronted with a HUGE lineup to get through airport security. I had about 50min before my flight was due to leave, so although I wasn't paniced I was a little concerned. Got through security okay, and hit my gate 10min before my flight was due to leave. Only the flight prior still hadn't left yet. With a little time to spare, I ran across the terminal to grab some food and came back to wait another hour before we finally boarded. Yay.

Another half hour or so was spent sitting at the gate while they fixed the autopilot system, and we were off just under 2 hours late. I got home at midnight (PST), caught up on some work email, nand hit the hay by 02:00.

Up at 07:00 to pack and get my shit together so I could be in Seattle (about a 3hr drive) to fly out at 14:35. The trip down was uneventful until I landed in Phoenix, and they temporarily lost my bike case. Turns out they threw it on the regular carousel, so after having an agent look for it and some calling around, I was sent back to my original carousel (where I picked up my luggage) to pick up my bike box. Hopped into a cab, gave the driver the address, and we were off.

Only he was brand new - not only to town, but also to Phoenix. He also refused to call dispatch for directions. I called DesertDude for directions, and we were back in action. Only he STILL didn't have a clue where he was going - but instead of calling dispatch or looking at a map, he called a buddy of his and they muddled around forever as he took wrong turn after wrong turn until I took over and made him drive where I demaned. He then proceeded to slow down to about 25mph so he could look at road signs. He wouldn't speed up, even when we were in between huge blocks and the only thing on either side was grass. Whatever - I finally got here.

I arrived just in time for dinner, where Paulo decided that I don't eat enough. WTF?! "I don't care - Khai has to eat at least two more tortillas" and he wandered off. Okay... so this is force-feeding camp. This is worse than the time I went to that anorexia camp... ;)

After dinner my new Yaqui arrived, and the guys had almost as much fun unpacking and building it as I did. It's truly a work of art. I know, I know... pics to follow.

Someone's alarm was going off at 05:20 this morning, and we were all up at 06:00 or so to eat and get ready to swim. These guys are serious - out of bed and straight to the table to consume massive quantities of food. Paulo came by, asked what I ate, and I sheepishly held up a banana. Not good enough. No excuses, either - 2 bowls of cereal. Flashback to bulimia camp.... ;)

DesertDude somehow managed to find us a beautiful 50m outdoor pool, asn SAC dutifully stood on deck barking orders to us. Apparently he's "not at all happy with my kick", so I spent the majority of the session doing kick sets, and working on a strong kick during my swim sets. I need bilateral work, too. No big surprise there.

Back from the pool, we settled down to eat again in the hour before the ride. I managed two slices of toast w/ PB&J, and Paulo seemed happy enough with that.

Some of the guys went off on a 3hr race pace ride, while I did an easy 2hr ride with Paulo and a couple of the girls. DAMN do I ever love my new bike!

Back home and eating again... (there's a trend here) and I'm now in the "wireless cafe" taking care of some email and posting, naturally.

More to follow...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1") [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man! I must REALLY have aproblem because paulo thinks I eat too much and he is the "food police" when he is around!
Quote Reply
Re: Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1") [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Apparently he's "not at all happy with my kick", so I spent the majority of the session doing kick sets, and working on a strong kick during my swim sets. I need bilateral work, too. No big surprise there.

Man, Graham would not be happy. Long live pose aquatica!!! Stay tuned tomorrow for the standoff at the ok coral between Paulo and Graham!!!

Quote:

Some of the guys went off on a 3hr race pace ride, while I did an easy 2hr ride with Paulo and a couple of the girls. DAMN do I ever love my new bike!
You know you LOVE your new ride when you notice it before the tri-hunnies!!!! Congrats on the new ride! What kinda car would you liken it to? Caddy? Benz? Lambo? Ferrari? Can't be nothing like my Ivan-special Franken-Talon-Colt?

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Last edited by: powergyoza: Mar 25, 05 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do I only get 120 mph, new Yaqui and eat more stuck in my mind? ;-)

Good luck there, Khai. Don't forget the updates.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I arrived just in time for dinner, where Paulo decided that I don't eat enough. WTF?! "I don't care - Khai has to eat at least two more tortillas" and he wandered off

Clearly, with every move, he shows us only more of how skilled a communicator he is (mr. smartass)...

'Don't eat enough'? Is it normal to trust a stranger to tell us how much food to eat and to ignore our own bodies??

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok by the look of it... you really DON'T EAT ENOUGH... :P

On the other side, Marisol must eat a LOT.. ;)

and.. Paulo up at 5:20...? Now THAT'S something to record..

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Mar 25, 05 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1") [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Paulo doesn't want to be fattest kid in camp! :-)

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1") [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greg, I love ya just the way you are, don't ever change...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Phoenix!

Now that you are here things should really get crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Phoenix Update (or, "My weekend with the Smartasscoach - part 1") [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you too, cowpoke... (!)

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Mar 25, 05 16:21
Quote Reply
Part Deux [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the ride and more food, I had a fit session with Paulo on my new bike. We did take pics for Cerveloguy to measure, but I might re-shoot them as they were taken with my shirt off - something that is probably only slightly less offensive to the ST population than that picture I once posted of my feet. ;) The end result was a pretty agressive position that Francois at once deemed "not low enough", but I think it will take me a few weeks to adjust to it regardless.

After that we headed out for a run, and Paulo deemed my modified track spikes as unacceptable. Fine for speedwork at the track, but not for every day running. Once I get back to Vancouver I'll resume training in my NB 920's, and start looking at other options as well. Maybe a DS Racer, Tiger Paw or something along those lines...

Back to the house for more food, showers, and then dinner. After dinner, Olaf shared with us one of his secrets to IM success, which we all partook of with great vigour and enthusiasm - ice cream! His depth of knowlege as a nutritionist as well as an elite athlete was widely acclaimed by all.

Some of the folks played a version of poker with dice in the evening, while I fiddled with my bike and then crashed out pretty early - even at the much lower volume that I did compared to most of the folks here, I was bagged.

I was up early (05:45) because DesertDude was supposed to arrive early to take me to the pool and rip my stroke apart. In the end, he got to the house at 07:10, so all my early rising did was serve to wake up the rest of the house a little earlier than they had planned - oops. We got to the pool by 07:45 only to find it locked with no guard in sight. After hanging out for a few minutes, DD called the pool manager and learned that the guard went out drinking the night before, and was hung over - so she didn't make it. One of the girls had entered a 2.4mi open water swim over at Tempe Lake, so we headed over there to see if we could all "warm up" for the event. That didn't work either, so most of the group went running while a few of us went in search of drugs and/or other medical supplies. Sergio had nasty blisters, Francois was looking for EPO, and I tore a contact lense so I was running with one good eye and one blind.

After the swim we headed over to get some lunch, and after a little bit of creative driving finally found the place Paulo had in mind. Giant burritos were consumed, and Francois went off to find some "magic cream". I wandered next door to the eye-glasses place, only to be denied - the open 08:00-12:00 on Saturdays. D'oh! Looks like seeing out of one eye will have to do. The rest of the gang headed over to Starbucks for coffee, and then we were off to a different pool.

Here Jonathan decimated the fast guys (sans wetsuit) while Paulo and DesertDude tag teamed me to rip apart my stroke. It was awesome. :) The comment of the day in my books, was Paulo: (scratching his head) "I see you swim and think oh god, this looks terrible! But then I see you doing drills, and they look okay...". He then handed me off to DesertDude, who was speechless for a moment before he gathered his wits and proceeded to give me some advice. We did a bunch of drills, and he advised me to see a swim coach when I get back to Vancouver. His last comment was was "you can spend $900 on a disc, but it won't buy you half the time that 5hrs with a good technique coach will" - sound advice.

Back home for a quick bite, and then off for an easy 1.5hr ride. I went out with a couple of the girls, and Ian - our designated cook for the camp. I was rolling along and I commented to him that "it must be "new bike syndrome or something, because I NEVER roll along at 30kph at this effort level!" He laughed, and then checked his computer - I'm reading 27... Is that thing set up for 650c? D'oh! It's my Polar 625x, which I had calibrated on my 700c roadie. Looks like I'm not as fast as I thought... ;) Oh well. The new position felt pretty good, but I think it's going to take some time before I can hold the aero position comfortably for longer than half an hour to 45min. Still, I felt very comfortable and had good power while maintaining the ability to breathe well.

Back home for more food, showers, and then dinner. Paulo dropped by with Marisol after his "[it's not a] date" (we left him behind at the pool) and she met everyone before taking off to crash for the night. Ian cooked up another fantastic meal, and it's time to chill for the evening.

Tomorrow is long ride day, with most of us looking at something in the 5hr ballpark. A few people will be leaving tomorrow as well, so some of them are getting an early start. It's kind of sad to see the end upon us. I for one have had a blast, and meeting a bunch of ST'ers whom I've known for a few years by handle only has been super cool. Met some lurkers, too - who will start posting now, RIGHT? ;)

That's it for now. One more official day and then it's post-mortem time.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Part Deux [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok where are the photos mate???

Quote | Reply
Great stories Khai! I'm anxiously awaiting Part Trois and pics. You write wonderfully, very colorfully and vividly. I actually laughed outloud a couple of times. I like that you write about your interaction with the other campers and coaches, not the training stats blow by blow. It is a lot of fun to meet and hang out with the ST brethren. I know I'm looking forward to seeing whomever is coming out for the Honu Tri in June.

Last edited by: Football Mom: Mar 27, 05 0:05
Quote Reply
Re: Part Deux [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome writeup Khai! i was cracking up here and my coworkers were making fun of me... nice riding w/ you on Saturday! cool bike. hope to see you in Penticton in August! let me know how Victoria goes...

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you had a good time here and your bike made it to you safely. Wish I would have had a chance to meet you. I am suree we will catch up at either an event or a camp someday soon. Take care buddy.
Quote Reply
Part trois... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn broke early on Sunday morning, and the ladies were up with the roosters to get their long ride in before they had to leave. One of them (bughead) got up even earlier to sneak in a run "to make up for yesterday". I say "sneak" because Brian and Paulo had been trying to get her to rest a little. The plan was to do a long ride/short run brick on the last day, with quick transitions. The ladies took off, and the rest of us sat down to breakfast. (By this time I had long since gotten used to eating enough, and was fueling appropriately like the rest of them)

Brian, Francois, May-Lise, and Mimi showed up and we all rolled out to do our own thing. Sergio was pretty trashed from the day before, and it showed because I was able to sit on his wheel for the first couple of miles. Even when he's taking it easy, that just shouldn't happen. He snapped out of it soon enough though, and took off down the road with Olaf and Francois.

My knee started to bug me about 40min into the ride, so I dropped off the back of the group I was with and played around on my bike to see if I could work it out. It got better at around the hour mark or so, and I was back to riding Z2. I caught up with Ian, May-Lise and Mimi when they stopped to turn around, and we all headed back. May-Lise is a machine! She just sits there and goes, like the Terminator. Occasionally standing to power over a small rise, she towed us all back to the house without ever appearing to break a sweat.

Paulo was back at the house giving last minute run instructions and dealing with the "transition zone" (the garage).

Eventually everyone came back from their brick, and Ian and the girls made a quick exit. Well, Ian took off in a flash, and the girls got cleaned up while we packed their bikes (nice to be a chick at these camps!). With our cook gone, I cooked up the last of the pasta and made a makeshift "sauce" out of the remaining vegetables. Then it was clean-up and packing for everyone, and a few hours rest before the farewell dinner.

I took some heat for my "super anal" packing job, but hey - it's a brand new bike! I also happenned to have a lot of free time, brought lots of foam, and yes - I am super anal. ;)

We then discovered that bughead works at Performance Bike, so it was a mad rush to Supergo so that she could buy a bunch of "personal" gear with her staff discount. I think she ended up with 2 pair of Oakleys, some tyres and tools, a few other bits, and something she actually needed herself for the race. ;)

Off to dinner at this all-you-can-eat salad bar, the concept of which seemed to escape Paulo the first time around. After finishing his salad, he asked Brian if he could eat the meals for the people who had left early. With impeccable timing, Brian explained that yes, he could - but that he could also just go up and get more on his own, as it was a buffet. "Really?" "I can go back?" I think Paulo has a new favourite restaurant. ;)

After dinner we all said our good-byes, and headed off to wherever we were spending the night. Back to the house for sedi, Jose and I, a few went back to Brian and Mimi's, and Paulo & Sergio headed off for Marisol's to relax for the two weeks leading up to the race. Brian played taxi driver for (almost) the last time, and shuttled us around to our various destinations.

The next day sedi Jose and I cleaned up the house a bit, and Brian took us to the airport at around 14:00.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Epilogue [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't attend this camp to get fit - I went to learn as much as I could; from the coaches as well as from everyone else. Olaf proved to be a huge resource, and it was awesome to get to meet a bunch of ST'ers that I've "known" for several years, but have never met. While the volume of training that I put in was significantly less than the group average, it was still a pretty big step up for me, and some gains were made. More importantly, I came back with a lot of ideas regarding proper fueling, swim technique, general training principles, and a quest to find new running shoes. ;)

Here are a few pictures that to me, sum up the overall "feel" of the camp:

The House

The Pool

sedi discovers America

Francois, being "tall"

Jonathan the mechanic

Paulo & Sergio discover "free" wireless

The "Internet Cafe" is born

Olaf's Secret to IM Success

Olaf is very committed to his program

Sergio approves

Brian (aka desert dude) doing his thing on deck (while hovering magically)

Audentia's 2.4mi race

Ian the master chef, hard at work

Team Rotor

Christmas was never this good...

More secrets to IM success, courtesy of Olaf

Disciples of the master...

The Ladies of SATC

And the Coaches... (Brian to Paulo: "he's YOUR problem, dude")

Food, food, and more food

~fin~

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Epilogue [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing. The pictures are great.

Oh, by the way, you may want to edit your "signature" a little. It looks too much like 'smart ass screw'. Just a space before crew, unless you want it that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

Quote | Reply
Now THAT'S some awesome photos!

Thanks for all the "in-loco" info, and some great photos! It seems like you had a great time so.. i'll be seeing you in the NEXT SACrew Camp? ;P

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That some kick-ass photos to go with the kick-ass weather & people dude! Props to you for taking the plunge. You will be deeply rewarded as TFB continues to pull away from Team Tooth Pick (TTP) - the new team newly formed by yours truly.

Maybe I will join you on early AM swim club. How do I keep up?

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Epilogue [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klep, it's going to be in El Paso, September 12-18, BE THERE! :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no way dude, its "jonathan the bike destroyer" not "jonathan the mechanic" ;-)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Epilogue [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be carefull sergio.....i just received your new renn disc madera and i m thinking of working on it just to make sure it s all good for next week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Epilogue [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man, if you just touched it, it's a done deal...Sergio needs an other wheel because the one you touched is screwed!

tabarnak de quebecois! hehe ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Epilogue [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paulo, are those dates firm? My buddy's wedding is on the 17th so I can probably make the first half...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next