Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Phelps' Diet
Quote | Reply
Guy eats like an East Texas trucker.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [fenack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the best parts of being a swimmer, you can eat soooo much. When I was in heavy training I was eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 calories a day, which is a TON of food.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine - I'm always quite hungry after a swim. I certainly appreciate Phelps' unabated use of mayonnaise. I heard Bill Rodgers would top his pizza with mayo. Now that's some caloric intake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can imagine - I'm always quite hungry after a swim. I certainly appreciate Phelps' unabated use of mayonnaise. I heard Bill Rodgers would top his pizza with mayo. Now that's some caloric intake.
Yeah, I remember swimmer breakfasts. He eats more than I did, though. By a long shot. :D

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like my diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I wish I could eat like that without having to swim 10,000 yards a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any links to it?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He eats age groupers without chewing. He does not sleep for 48 hours; when he does sleep, he sleeps in a chair. he bakes 30 minute brownies in 20 minutes...

All you need is a dollar and a dream..and a severe f*&%ing beating!!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone is referring to Bob Costas' reading a page from Phelps' autobiography. Breakfast is something like 3 fried egg sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried onions and mayo followed by an omelet, followed by french toast with powdered sugar and washed down with 3 chocolate chip pancakes. Phelps has said that he knocks back 8,000-10,000 calories a day. And does not cook at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is Bob Costas, a tv commentator? If he doesn't cook does he employ a chef to cook his fried eggs etc? Swimming must pay pretty good nowadays.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On passing through Singapore on his way to Beijing, he got off the plane and went straight to the airport McDonalds!

Made in Scotland frae Girders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They mentioned the figure of $5M in endorsements alone last night, Julian. I'd say he's a gold mine right now. Pun intended.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does swimming keep you regular the way running does? Because if I ate 1/10th of that diet, I wouldn't cr@p for a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the endorsements came after he finished his competitive career Bri or has that changed now?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought the endorsements came after he finished his competitive career Bri or has that changed now?
Why would he have to wait for his money from endorsements? I am guessing you are thinking back when it was amateurs at the Olympics, but that ended many years ago when they figured out that a man's gotta eat. Literally!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That all changed a few years ago; kind of started with the original dream team back in the 1990s with basketball. Phelps has been all over the TV in the months leading up to the Olympics - his power bar commercial is on constantly during Sportscenter and Yankee games.

I'm just wondering how he consumes that much fat and can still digest it on a daily basis, he must have the strongest stomach acid in the history of mankind.

IMLP '08, Team Triabetes
On The Way To IMCDA '10
http://www.ringthebolus.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a little piece on the local (Detroit) news last night that talked about his diet. They visited one of his regular U of M diners he eats at and showed a couple things he liked. You are right ... Texas Trucker summed it up quite well.
They also threw out the 8000-10000 calories/day figure.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [IronBolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your stomach responds to your diet over time.

He's pulling in a bunch of cash from those Rosetta Stone ads as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he eats like alan webb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that Phelps makes over $1million USD per year from endorsement deals alone. I would say that his pockets aren't light.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [flim-mike-bunz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He eats age groupers without chewing. He does not sleep for 48 hours; when he does sleep, he sleeps in a chair. he bakes 30 minute brownies in 20 minutes...
He is chuck norris

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps' Diet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny; I've always heard from the "experts" that your build is primarily a result of what you eat, followed by what and how much you do. I guess Phelps sort of displaces that notion a bit. Granted, a lot of it is likely to be genetics; we'll see how he holds up after he quits training so heavily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching that special on him explaining his diet gives me a ton of satisfaction. I have been looking at my diet lately because I eat so much. Not a lot of bad stuff but I do like my share of ice cream and whatnot.

After seeing how much he eats and that he "eats what he wants." It definitely makes me feel a little better about what I am eating and that I don't need to make any huge changes to my diet going into next season.

Re: Phelps' Diet [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
He is chuck norris

No Chuck Norris IS Michael Phelps!
Quote Reply

Prev Next