Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peter Reid's Kona brake levers
Quote | Reply
I know there has been a lot of interest about the availability of the minimalist brake levers that Peter uses at Kona, and I have just found them on the net whilst following another thread. Tri All 3 sports.com has them for sale at less than $50! I have to say that these look fantastic mounted but I believe the braking performance may not be a fantastic as the looks.

Profile Design Aerobrake
Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
$80.00 $49.95 Product Details
The coolest looking brake lever made!

• Aerodynamic designed braking system, which extends directly out from your handlebars. Depending on mount, you brake by pushing down or pulling up.
  • Multi-positioning.
  • 6061 aluminum.
  • Weight: ~180 grams.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's Kona brake levers [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have been around for a few years......they do not stop very well....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's Kona brake levers [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's because they stopped making/selling them that they become like Hen's teeth!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those levers with a Campy Delta brake equal TROUBLE !!!!!

I am not going to tell you what exactly happened, but I will put it this way- the dude who did that now has to advertise in his personal ads that he wants a chick who "digs guys with facial scars".
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid's Kona brake levers [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug, you are such a tease! What was it specifically about the delta and the levers combination that was so bad, other then just not stopping the bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah nuts. just when this cool lever becomes avaialble I own an oval bar. Bugger. Still with my handling it's probably just as well I haven't got them......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither the front NOR the rear brakes scrubbed his speed. I don't know what was worse: the levers did not have enough pull, or the calipers needed stronger levers to work even half way. I wished I would have been the bike safety check guy instead of the course marshall, as he would not have raced that day had I seen his set up. He ended up end over end, and his face got pretty messed up, as well. He has a full bridge as he kissed the kerb hard. He wasn't all that good of a bike handler, anyway, but that overcooked corner did not help. Spectacular crash (wish I would have videoed it) that would have been worthy of many TV shows about crashing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard they don't stop worth a sh*t. Imagine pulling upwards and backwards instead of squeezing your fingers to stop. Seems all wrong to me! I'l stick to the DiaComp 188's, thank you! They work like a charm, never break, last forever, super cheap price, and on and on!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, always a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. They do look good on Peter's Specialized but as we have speculated in the past, not the best of performers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I told him his bike had the least drag while crashing I have ever seen. I also said that those Deltas made his bike sail to the kerb much quicker than if he had real brakes. We now laugh about it, but at the time he did not laugh too much about it.

All I has to say is that it is damned amazing that a guy who got that ugly gets as much action as he does (probably three or more times per week with as many women, from claims of his own and his friends). I never see him with the same woman.

Let me make this disclaimer: I do run a front Delta on my Fox, but I use a brake lever that has enough pull. I get decent (not wonderful) braking from that brake, as well as I have EVER seen with those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is amazing, it will be interesting to see if Bryce pulls more women after he has his inevitable crash. He has a bad combination of awesome bike power, appalling bike handling and a total belief that a car would come off worst in a crash between the two of them!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to speculate, I use them on my tri bike. They are poor performers. I think they make me faster because I can't slow down for corners, not because of any aero benefit ;-).

Styrrell
Quote Reply