Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneal Tendonitis from cycling not running???
Quote | Reply
I’ve developed what my research has led me to believe is Peroneal Tendonitis. There are lots of resources out there regarding recovery and treatment, but almost everything makes it sound like this is usually caused by running. I can still run with no problem, but when I try and go for a bike ride I can only get a few miles before it starts hurting. I’m pretty sure the first instance of this happened when I tried Zwift for the first time on a smart trainer and I couldn’t shift fast enough to keep up with the changing difficulty. Since then I’ve read that with this issue sometimes you need to ride a smaller gear for a while and avoid hills, both of which I’ve done with no different result. Anyways, has anyone else experienced Peroneal Tendonitis from cycling and not from running?
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal Tendonitis from cycling not running??? [hittlrh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hittlrh wrote:
I’ve developed what my research has led me to believe is Peroneal Tendonitis. There are lots of resources out there regarding recovery and treatment, but almost everything makes it sound like this is usually caused by running. I can still run with no problem, but when I try and go for a bike ride I can only get a few miles before it starts hurting. I’m pretty sure the first instance of this happened when I tried Zwift for the first time on a smart trainer and I couldn’t shift fast enough to keep up with the changing difficulty. Since then I’ve read that with this issue sometimes you need to ride a smaller gear for a while and avoid hills, both of which I’ve done with no different result. Anyways, has anyone else experienced Peroneal Tendonitis from cycling and not from running?

Mind to describe exactly where the pain is located?
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal Tendonitis from cycling not running??? [hittlrh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I gather, the condition arises because running/cycling are pretty much in the same plane of motion. Once I developed a good case of peroneal tendonitis, I could aggravate it from either running or cycling. PT exercises using resistance bands et. al. were somewhat helpful eventually but time consuming. What finally cured it for me quickly and thoroughly was consistently spending a few minutes walking sideways each direction on the treadmill for my post workout cool downs. If you've got a treadmill available afterwards, post workout (run / bike) alternate sides every thirty seconds for 3-4 minutes and see if that doesn't help. Vary your stride length, too, while performing these. Best of luck.

Edit, NM on the above, I've had both peroneal tendonitis and piriformis syndrome. Above advice was for piriformis. But regarding your peroneal, yeah, cycling would bug me with that one, too. My pain was at the upper attach point, and I could reach down and massage my leg sometimes as I was going if it started getting painful. That's a tough one to get over because it's not easy to get at those ligaments. Lots of massage is what finally helped me with that, as I never found a PT that helped. But you can get over it eventually.
Last edited by: Route66: Sep 24, 19 11:55
Quote Reply