Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Periodic performance testing
Quote | Reply
How many of you in training for an IM include regular performance testing in any of the sports? (e.g., TT for max power, track 1600m repeats at HR increments of 10...) What tests do you do and when/how often do you them? Obviously the point of training is to get fitter and faster, but I just kind of keep my nose to the grindstone, stay healthy, and hope my race times keep improving....
Quote Reply
Re: Periodic performance testing [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple times a year, usually pretty soon here starting with new ones, I do the following tests here on the Computrainer:

-Flat Ten Mile Time Trial.

-"Test Conconi" according to the protocol outlined in Rob Sleamaker's book, "Serious Training for Serious Athletes".

That's about it for me. I repeat the tests after a month or six weeks of base training and a couple weeks of training more specifically geared toward speed and power.

I think it is important and valuable to see your imprvement from the first round of tests to the second. It tells you in no uncertain terms your training is working. It is also super important to keep a training log. I am very good at that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never been tested and I think that for all but the very top people, or people who have direct a free access to this sort of thing, there is little need for it.

The better option is to race often and/or have bench-mark workouts that when you know you can do them in time/pace X then you are ready to go or at that point in your training.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at risk for getting shit on the forum, my test is maffetone's MAF test.

repeat the same bike and run course on different days (5 mile flat bike - 2 mile run on track) at maximum aerobic heart rate every 3-4 weeks. each test, i should be running/biking faster at the same hr.
Quote Reply