Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perineum friendly saddles
Quote | Reply
So here's the story:

I know a guy who grew up riding bikes. He never raced but enjoyed riding. He toured New England and England in his later high school years and even took up unicycling as a means to get to class in college.

About 10 years after college, he was having major problems with his perineum. As it turns out, he had seriously damaged his perineum and left a lot of scar tissue which inhibited a normal urination rate. He went and saw a doctor and was told that it would get worse causing infection and they needed to put in a stint. So after multiple surgeries, here he is 20 years later with this steel stint keeping the scar tissue from swelling his tract shut. Apparently, its not super comfortable sitting on most semi hard surfaces with a metal cylinder in your perineum (shocking, right?). So he sits on a special gel pad in the car and at work etc.

All that is to say, the guys perineum is incredibly sensitive. The doctors have told him he'll never bike again without severe pain. He's accepted it and moved on. But come on. Cycling develops in leaps and bounds every year. Technology that goes into saddles is more carefully calculated than the first lunar lander. There MUST be a saddle out there (Adamo?) that would work for this.

My question then lies to those with experience; if you have ever had a sensitive perineum, what saddle did you find that helped you stay on the bike?

I'm just trying to get a guy back on the bike he used to love. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Perineum friendly saddles [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adamo and Cobb saddles probably have the best shot at success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure seat bone takes up the majority of pressure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's probably way better off on a road bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobb vflow max of adamo road.

personally, i found that getting lower in front took off a lot of pressure from my taint and shifted it to the arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving the Cobb V-flow Max on my TT bike and I just put a Specialized Romin on my road bike ... best road bike saddle I've ever used. I like to ride low in the drops on my road bike which can challenge the perineum. The Romin has a relief channel the runs all the way to the tip of the saddle. Makes it WAY better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also make sure your bars are not too low. reaching too loo increases pressure in the peri...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going through some crotch issues right now, but nothing like this. I think I would say screw it and buy a recumbent. No saddle is going to be comfortable with a steel stint!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a unique situation. I'd look at any of the saddles with BIG channels:
- Selle SMP
- Specialized Romin
- V-Flow Max
- Adamo Race

But as others have said, it's also worth looking at recumbents. But try the above saddles first.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply