Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
People who train on tubulars....
Quote | Reply
I searches this site and couldn't find anything real relevant...
What type of wheels do you have that you train on your tubulars..... you aren't training on your HED's or Zipp's... are you?
Just curious what kind of Tubular Wheels you have.....
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [stb13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My road bike that I use for training is setup with tubulars..........Zipp 404 front and a HED Jet90 rear.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bontrager front and rear

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds DV46T's custom built with 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear for a little extra durability.

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular Zipp 303's on the roadie. Just got a set of gigantex 50mm tubies that I'll use as beaters and put either some gatorskins or conti comps on for the summer and CX tires in the fall

life is too short to ride crappy wheels.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, train and race on Zipp 404 tubies! Tufo Tires.

Wheel set that expensive is no good hanging in the garage! Ride the hell out of em!!

Trumpman

See ya at the races!!
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
life is too short to ride crappy wheels.
My first response to this thread was going to be "riding tubies for training is a bit risky, and not cost effective".... but you know what?? I'm going to agree with the post above. Life IS too short to ride crappy wheels.

Re: People who train on tubulars.... [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how I look at it:
A set of 404's is roughly $2,0000
If I do 6 races a year, it equals out to $330.00 dollars a ride! I f I ride them all the time I maximize my value.
To make matters worse, if you are really fast your $ to time value goes out the window.
The wife actually agrees with this statement and now has her own 404 training wheels

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Lightweights , because as someone said life is too short to ride crappy wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Bontrager Race Aero Carbon X Lites and Mavic Cosmic Carbones. Both wheelsets are bombproof. I've had them for over 4 years now, ripped through some major potholes on them, and they have yet to come out of true. (Regular maintenance, i.e. checking spoke tension, is key.) I've experienced only 1 flat tire and fixed it in 5 minutes using the Vittoria PitStop sealant. For tires I use Contis and Tufos, and compared to my regular riding buddy (who trains on clinchers and uses Michelin Pro Race tires) my tire expenses have been lower. It goes without saying that, nice as the Michelin Pro Races are, properly glued tubulars cannot be beat in terms of ride quality.
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [Milano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are all daft. Use your 32 spoke wheels, mavic box section, three cross, dura ace hubs, dt spoke. Train on them during the year, race cross on them in the fall and if needed rebuild during the winter. They are plenty light comfortable and easy to service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have velocity rims with ultegra hubs I use for training ($365 from wheelbuilder for the set a few years ago). I also bought a set for my wife. The wheels are great. I use a new set of tires for every IM and use the old ones for training. I would not use my race wheels for every day training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ambrosion chrono f20 32h rims
dt 14/15 3x

tires: whatever older race tires that have flatted and been repaired.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic Open GL, Ambrossio Durex....Zipp.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long time ago I used GP4's

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seem daft to me too. When I'm training, I don't care what I ride, as long as it gets the job done. But it comes to priorities and pleasures. If you are very serious about racing (and on any sort of budget), you protect your race wheels so you can race with them. If you are less serious about racing, and enjoy riding on fancy equipment, your race wheels become your everyday wheels. Some have sufficient wealth that they don't need to worry about breaking race wheels. But they should be aware that riding carbon wheels on a group training ride is about as stylish as a 350 pound defensive tackle doing an extended dance after recovering a fumble for a touchdown.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met a guy last Saturday at the club. He only rides tubies. Nice new TTX. Beautiful Bonty wheels. Tubies. On the trainer. I don't get it!
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not? if yer used to tubies why have two tire systems laying around the house?

anyway, whats this stuff about training?

training?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Thats the only way to roll.

For 5 years- Bontrager XXX Lite most of the year and Ambrosio Crono F20s 32 spokes in the winter
After some CXs this fall, I re-laced the Ambosios Record hubs to Mavic Reflex CDs
I also used 1040 gram Edge 38s as daily dirvers for half a year.

Summer tires- Vittoria CX.
Winter tires- Conti sprinters or gatorskin on the rear. The Reflexes have Veloflex Roubaixs on there this winter.

The only problems I have ever had with wheels is when I keep trying clinchers. They never last on my bike more than a week before they hit the 'bay.
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [nrand1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Sonic profile 40 tubular (with continental or challenge triathlon), and sometimes a pair of 55 mm profile with clincher.
I like the tubular, much more comfortable.
Like I heard, life is too short to keep this investment for 4 to 6 times a year. We all know we will keep a pair of wheels, how much time ? max. 3 years ...

Disclaimer : work in bike/triathlon industry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Easton EA70x's. They are just like Vista SL's only tubies. I think tubies are easier to work with than clinchers. I can mount a pair of Evo CX's brand new unstretched easier than a pair of Pro3's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404 650 wheels, vittoria cx tubies, I am not going to let 2000 dollar wheels hang on a wall...... been doing this for years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Zipp 404 PT wheel that I used for everything for 2 yrs- not one issue ever.
Now I have set of Blackwell 50 and a set of Valdora 85mm and I plan to train on both.
You can always find cheap tubular tires somewhere and like others have mentioned spending $2000 on wheels for just a few races a year is the same as buying that nice sportscar and never driving it. I am going to beat the hell out of wheels.
They should handle it at that price.
S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic Ksyrium's- totally bombproof tubular that rolls nice. I also have an older set of Mavic GL330's laced to some oldschool Zipp hubs, but the Mavic's always win out when I walk into my stable.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: People who train on tubulars.... [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a pair of Easton EA70x's. They are just like Vista SL's only tubies. I think tubies are easier to work with than clinchers. I can mount a pair of Evo CX's brand new unstretched easier than a pair of Pro3's.
I imagine these are the ones you are talking about: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...Tubular-Shimano.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next