Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peloton Tread Now Shipping...Reviews?
Quote | Reply
Before I get flamed - I wanted a used Woodway, but my wife loves class based/structured workouts and we only have room for a single treadmill so I compromised and put down a deposit on a peloton tread, since it is a slat belt design which theoretically should be somewhat similar in feel to a woodway (still probably not the same quality or feel, but wife wins).

I just got an email saying that they had started shipping to the early pre-orderers and that I would likely receive mine sometime in january.

I wasn't enthused to read DCrainmakers trade-show review, but am hoping that was just a preproduction model and not representative of the feeling of the production model.

I can always cancel and get my deposit back if this turns out to be a dud. Wondering if anybody else has one pre-ordered or on the way, or if anyone in new york has ran on the ones in the studio. If early reviews are bad I will cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread Now Shipping...Reviews? [TA5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious on this as well.

I haven't come across any other reviews from serious runners and one of my concerns in addition to DCRainmaker's report is the relatively small motor compared to other treadmills in the same price range. I'm not at all interested in the classes, but moreso the sleek design, good size screen etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread Now Shipping...Reviews? [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you currently have a Peloton subscription for the bike? I have the bike and use the app for treadmill run workouts with the gym treadmill. If you don’t have a subscription try the free two week trial with a treadmill at the gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread Now Shipping...Reviews? [ctree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctree wrote:
Do you currently have a Peloton subscription for the bike? I have the bike and use the app for treadmill run workouts with the gym treadmill. If you don’t have a subscription try the free two week trial with a treadmill at the gym.

that's a good idea, they gave us free subscriptions while we are waiting for the treadmill but i haven't used it yet as I haven't really moved running indoors yet...

...i'm not as concerned with the run workouts as I am with the actual machine though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious too. After DC Rainmaker’s review I would lean toward a used Woodway as well. Maybe your wife could compromise with using the app on an IPad and you purchasing a used Woodway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had the bike for almost 3 years and put a deposit on the Tread as soon as it was available. My wife loves the spin classes, and using the app she has already enjoyed treadmill running more. We went to NY and tried it out and it seems like a well built unit. I have never run on a Woodway to compare, but did not find a huge difference in feel to my True PS800. Long runs may show more of a an advantage, but for 45 minutes the slats did not particularly stand out to me. I did initially feel a slight rumble or vibration but quickly forgot about it as it had no effect on my run. They did say at the time that the units we were using were pre-production so that may have been improved upon or it may just be the difference between slats running on ball bearings vs a standard belt on rollers. It really is a non factor. The control knobs for speed and incline are fantastic. Very intuitive and quick to change paces and incline. You can also preprogram 3 different touchscreen buttons for speed when doing interval work. The motor is very responsive and gets to speed quickly. The 2hp AC motor is the same rating as some of the Woodways I compared it to and responded equal to the 4hp DC motor in my True. Having a 32" screen is impressive but I'm worried about and have already heard complaints of sweat on the screen messing with the touch control. I have this problem on my True deep into speed work when I get really sweaty and the screen will go bonkers until I wipe it off and start over. Also, I survived a 22 mile run indoors this winter thanks to Netflix and don't think I'll be able to see around the screen to watch a TV when I just want to run. The unit is pretty tall with a step on height of 11 1/2" so may not be usable in some lower height basement workout areas.

They obviously are selling their content and subscription, but bike users don't have to pay extra for the tread. The classes and instructors are great, but 30-60 minute run classes are going to be pretty short without piggybacking them together. I am looking forward to some boot camp classes to add some core and upper body work in on easy run days. I've never been motivated to doing weights, so mixing it with runs hopefully will be a plus for my workouts. Still waiting on a delivery date, but should have it no later than the 2nd week in December.

I have seen The Girl mention in the past about wanting a Peloton, so maybe now that they are in the UK, DC can get his hands on the bike and the tread for a full review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in NYC this weekend so I stopped in and did one of the live classes this morning. Good way to put the treadmill through its paces. Class was actually pretty fun too. I can definitely see the draw of the classes. It was kind of like doing a track workout with your coach yelling at you (except, well, on a treadmill).

The treadmill runs exactly like the Technogym SkillRun, which they've been putting in a lot of Lifetime Fitness gyms. Mine has them so I've put a couple hundred miles on the Technogym. They feel exactly identical, in virtually every way - ground contact, tread feel, how long it takes the treadmill to get up to speed (which is pretty quick) etc. In short, if you want to see what the run on the Peloton Tread is, find a Lifetime Fitness and run on their SkillRuns if they have them. I read the DC Rainmaker review and have to say I disagree. Was it the same feel as a Woodway? No, but I don't think it was a bad feel... and it's a heck of a lot better than your standard plain belt treadmill. I also feel like the speed on the treadmill has less mercy than most of the standard treadmills I've used. A tempo or sprint pace on the Peloton/Skillrun treadmill feels at least as hard, if not harder, than the pace you select. The speed and incline adjustment is super simple, but pretty intuitive - you spin the dial to go up or down in speed, or you can click the center of it and it ups the speed or incline in 1.0 intervals. In practice, let's say you're doing intervals.... you click up a couple times from your recovery pace, do your sprint, and then just give the wheel a desperate spin when you're done to get back to your recovery pace. After using the wheel for about 2-3 minutes you get a really good feel for how to spin it so you can just basically swipe at it and get the speed you were aiming for. Or, if you're not coming down from a panicked sprint, you can adjust the knob with pretty good precision.

Overall, I was pretty impressed given that the price on the thing is $4k, especially compared to the Technogym Skillrun, which as best I can I can tell is effectively mechanically identical yet costs $15,000. It's far superior to the Technogym MyRun treadmill (the smart home use treadmill that they push heavily for Zwift compatibility).

The only issue is of course, the subscription factor. I don't know if it works if you cancel your Peloton subscription. Talking with one of the guys after the class, he was very open about the fact that Peloton is a subscription based company, and that the company's model is to effectively sell their machines at cost so that you will buy their subscriptions. While their classes are great, I don't know if I would want to use them more than once or twice a month. I'm going to email them and see what they say about whether it functions or not without the subscription.

Re: Peloton Tread Now Shipping...Reviews? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal peloton tread review.

We got notice that our unit was ready to ship and that we needed to complete our purchase. We decided to go to the peloton store near our house so I could at least run on one for a while. I had read dcr’s short review and wanted to make sure the production models were better than the one he ran on.

I’m glade I did. The peloton tread is a complete POS. It does feel like you are running on a mat sliding over gravel or broken glass. From 2mph up the vibrations start and only get worse. At a 7 minute mile pace the vibrations and rattling noises were so loud I had to turn the volume on the screen all the way up to hear anything relating to the class.

The noises coming from the machine at running speeds were so alarming I actually asked one of the peloton people if it was broken. They said that all of them were that noisy.

I also don’t understand why they made the screen so obnoxiously large. The screens on the bikes (we don’t have one) are relatively proportional to the bike. The screen on the tread is massive. It would preclude anyone from simply running and watching tv on something behind the bike. Also has no functionality to act as a tv itself or connect to a phone or pad for streaming content.

While I am sure they will sell a lot of these to rich stay at home moms, I was wholly unimpressed with the actual machine. For 4K plus 500 per year it should be better than a 1500 home use treadmill. My opinion is that they basically looked at Woodways and copied the slat design(poorly). They even asked if we had run on a woodway before (there are 5 at our gym/pool) and then said the tread was the same thing (I disagreed on my way out).

Anyways. I’ll gladly get my deposit back and restart my search for a used woodway. at least I didn’t wait until late January (which is when they said I would originally have to late, maybe I’m not the only person with a deposit who found themselves unimpressed).
Quote Reply