Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pedals in carry-on
Quote | Reply
Sorry if it has been posted before i looked (briefly) and did not find anything. I am wondering if anyone has been given crap for having their cycling shoes and pedals on their carry-on (have them viewed as a weapon or who knows what, speedplays if it makes a difference) I am flying to PR this Thursday for the 70.3 and was planning on packing all my necessities into the carry-on i.e (pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about pedals. I did have my trusty, and loved Park Tool pedal wrench confiscated by security last year.

Security Guy pulled it out of my brief case, which I had forgot to check, and asked what it was. I tried to explain to him what it was. Of course, these folks are unyielding and humurless. Bye bye, Park Tool pedal wrench.

The funny thing was that two weeks earlier it had passed through the same security check at Pearson Airport in Toronto! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Machee wrote:
Sorry if it has been posted before i looked (briefly) and did not find anything. I am wondering if anyone has been given crap for having their cycling shoes and pedals on their carry-on (have them viewed as a weapon or who knows what, speedplays if it makes a difference) I am flying to PR this Thursday for the 70.3 and was planning on packing all my necessities into the carry-on i.e (pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.)

I accidentally put my garmin vector pedals in my carry on.
It confused the hell out the guy doing X-rays, so they asked me to open it up. I specifically asked if I could run into trouble at us security and they said no.

This was Canadian security at dorval airport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have flown with my speedplay pedals and cycling shoes in a carry-on many times including INTL without any issue. As Fleck said the pedal wrench will get flagged and taken so leave that. IF you need a wrench of your own just bring a small wrench as it was the length of the pedal wrench which was the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No experience directly myself.

However, I remember it being talked about on a couple of threads. If I remember correctly, the jist was that people got stopped and inquiries as to wtf was in their carry-on. Once examined and explained it was no biggie. Don't remember anyone saying that they were told to go back and check the bag or anything.

IMO when I fly I will carry them on, along with my swim goggles, run shoes and sunnies. It is better to carry them on so if anything (forbid) happens to your bike in transit, you still have your main gear to race with.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that has been my idea that forbid my bike doesnt get there i can rent one and still race

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Don't know about pedals. I did have my trusty, and loved Park Tool pedal wrench confiscated by security last year.

Security Guy pulled it out of my brief case, which I had forgot to check, and asked what it was. I tried to explain to him what it was. Of course, these folks are unyielding and humurless. Bye bye, Park Tool pedal wrench.

The funny thing was that two weeks earlier it had passed through the same security check at Pearson Airport in Toronto! :)

I got stopped for my pedal wrench as well, although they were kind enough to let me go back to the ticket counter and check the whole bag (for another $25) rather than confiscate the wrench. It would've been cheaper to let them take it but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find one easily at my destination. The pedals, shoes, helmet, clip-on aero bars, and other tools in my bag were not an issue to carry on but it ended up being a moot point anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have weird pedals - why the need to take them in hand luggage ? If you lose the bike - surely sourcing pedals is easier than sourcing a correct fitting bike ?

I' just take the shoes hand luggage personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with my Speedplay pedals, bike tool (not a wrench and it fell within TSA guidelines), and bike shoes in January. No issues at all with security. I just didn't want to lose them if the airline lost my checked bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General rule for items like that is 7" overall length or can be combined to reach that.

so a ratchet that is 6" is fine... if you have extensions and can make it over 7 despite it being a terrible weapon that would fall apart as you swung it no good can't take it on board.

pedals are under 7" and cannot be easily combined so there is no reason in the current TSA rules why you can't take them on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy got detained heading to Kona last year with Speedplays in his carry on. He said they hassled him for a while about it. I dont remember the specifics, but he was afraid he was going to have to trash them to get through. He said he checked them for the return flight.

--edit--
he mentioned that he had his shoes and cleats with him too. He ultimately used them to show TSA how they worked and thats what got him through.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Mar 9, 15 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Risk balance: anything in or close to the grey area of "looks like it could be used to hit someone onboard" carries the risk of confiscation. You won't get it back.

If it is in your hold luggage, and that goes astray, most times you will get it back. Eventually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've brought pedals, helmet, food ,and shoes onboard my carry on multiple times, and I've never had an issue. In fact I just did it today.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Risk balance: anything in or close to the grey area of "looks like it could be used to hit someone onboard" carries the risk of confiscation. You won't get it back.

If it is in your hold luggage, and that goes astray, most times you will get it back. Eventually.

That's the best answer you are going to get. It will probably be fine flying a bunch, even years, with the pedals, but eventually you'll run into someone who's never seen anything like it, and their default action will be to confiscate. TSA workers have broad discretion. Not all of their responsibilities are scripted.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you ship via Tribike transport....take off the pedals for their transit. I've always carried my with no issue. Generally ask TBT then to put pedals on and take off for me or bum a wrench off somebody who looks nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [TrekRider68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have traveled with my pedals several times when tbt takes the bike and never had any issues. I always carry race day stuff with me in carryon. I'm always worried about the nutrition as much as anything else but so far I've never had any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I accidentally put my garmin vector pedals in my carry on.
It confused the hell out the guy doing X-rays, so they asked me to open it up. I specifically asked if I could run into trouble at us security and they said no.

This was Canadian security at dorval airport
+1, with both Vectors and Crank Bros. eggbeaters. I had the shoes in the same bag so it was easy to explain, then they were OK with it. They did NOT like the stack of Lee Valley neodymium magnets that I had in a side pocket of my bag, though.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take shoes/pedals with me in carry on all the time, no problems. This way I can rent a bike locally and be good to go.

Did have an issue once (pre-9/11) with my clipon areobars in the carry on. The guy at security thought it might be some kinda "ninja weapon."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my way to Madison for IMWI...

TSA Agent at SAN: Do you have cycling pedals in your carry-on?
Me: Yes.
TSA Agent: Okay.

San Diego, where TSA agents recognize Speedplay pedals by x-ray. No hassle, just a question.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's meessed up that this is even a question. I have flown all over the country with my shaving razor in my carry-on. My 3 inch straight razor, that i could totally kill someone with (not that i would. i'd be too afraid it would ruin the edge) never once been bothered, but they are confiscation someones tools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol yea the guy scanned my bag twice then searched it and tested the pedals as hombs lmao he had no clue what they were I have vectors too so it had the pod n everything lolol I told him what they were and he was like oooo.... COOL!!! And just let me roll
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Machee wrote:

I had my Speedplays in a carry-on. The agent saw them in x-ray and pulled them out to ask me what they were. I'll admit to the bike uninitiated, they do look like a type of weapon or something to be used to make a weapon. Once I explained what they were and how they work, he let me through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have traveled with cartridges, pedals, shoes and tools in a carry-on many times, only to be questioned twice. Never once has anything been comfiscated.

Quote | Reply
I just got back to Indy from flying to Santa Anna. I had Speedplay pedals, bike shoes, and the proper allen wrench in my carry-on and had zero issues at security.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've put pedals in a sandwich bag with the washers & mark each one either "Left Pedal" or "Right Pedal" with no issues. Also, when transporting a mix like Infinit for example, Have put it in a screw top lid container then a baggie around that (after duct taping the lid), or a snap top Zip Lock container with duct tape around it seal the powder, THEN put a zip lock baggie over that & marked with a Sharpie "Infinit Race Mix "Lemon Lime" or whatever flavor. Just so they don't think I'm transporting coke or something. Never had a problem with either nor questioned. They did say they were going to confiscate all our Coffee Crunch bars & Old Dutch Dill Pickle chips coming back from Canada once though...but they didn't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next