Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion
Quote | Reply
Surprised that there has been no chatter here about this - https://cyclingmagazine.ca/...ime-trial-champions/

Paula Finlay repeated her surprise win from the 2022 Canadian Road Cycling Championships last Friday with another in the test against the clock and the race of truth!

Last year with all due respect Findlay faced a somewhat diminished field, but this year, it was a much more deep and competitive race field and Findlay still came out on top - beating handily the likes of Women's World Tour riders like, Paris Roubaix winner and EF Education's Alison Jackson, and UAE Team's Olivia Baril - who was first "discovered" a few years ago early in the pandemic, absolutely crushing races on Zwift and will be UAE's protected rider next month in the Tour France Femme Avec Zwift - ironically!

There are rumors and rumblings that Findlay may be interested in having a go at the ITT at the UCI World Championships later this year, in Glasgow and possibly the Olympic Games next summer. This was somewhat confirmed in my post race interview with her saying she would be really interested to a return to the Olympics in the ITT!

I've been here in Edmonton, Alberta, Announcing at the Canadian Road Cycling Championships for the past 4 days!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 27, 23 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is big news beating Jackson...

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s Canada’s selection criteria for the Olympics?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" possibly the Olympic Games this summer" - hold your horses!

Findlay vs. Knibb in Paris, that would be good:)
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

Do the TT riders have to be part of the road team?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I'm suffering during a bike interval and want to quit I always think of Paula's power output and use it for motivation. Sounds silly but she's so strong on the bike and she just suffers. I was hoping to see her power on Strava after the event but it was missing. One of the latest TTL videos she was suffering during intervals and she said, 'It's impossible to feel good. If you feel good you're not going hard enough.' She wasn't trying to sound like a coach or anything. She was in the emotion of mentally suffering when she said it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

No. They are literally different events.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While they are two separate events; Canada, like the United States, stipulates that "athletes competing in the time trial must also compete in the road race". This was the case in Tokyo and will probably be the case in Paris.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked up the Canadian Qualifying standards and did not find that stipulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Surprised that there has been now chatter here about this - https://cyclingmagazine.ca/...ime-trial-champions/

Paula Finlay repeated her surprise win from the 2022 Canadian Road Cycling Championships last Friday with another in the test against the clock and the race of truth!
Here are the results, if the "chatter" is not enough. An emphatic win. Perhaps PTN will cease its jocular taking the piss of Canadian TT cycling, or maybe not. Either way, Findlay gave the 'proper cyclists' a good seeing to.
https://zone4.ca/...-23/b6817d74/results
Jackson was 4th 1:22 down on Findlay.
Jackson was over 3 minutes down on Thomas (USA) in the World Champs ITT 2022.
Knibb almost beat Thomas last Thursday.
At St George last October Knibb beat Findlay by >6 minutes (over 90km).
It will be good to see Findlay Knibb and Oct 2018/May 2022/June 2023 model Ryf racing in Milwaukee in August, but I fear/assume Knibb won't as too close to the Paris test event (and AQ chance there).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 27, 23 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I looked up the Canadian Qualifying standards and did not find that stipulation.

One of the men’s road team members told me the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

They are correct. It's a UCI/IOC thing though and not up to each country/NGB. It's worded a bit differently now but it used to say explicitly that only riders entered in the road race were eligible to race the TT. It's essentially the same now since countries only gain spots for the TT through the road race quota places which means in reality you have to be part of a UCI pro team and qualify for the road race in order to race the TT(with a few exceptions). Getting a spot in the Olympic TT is not as straight forward as "just" winning nationals and maybe dabbling in a few TT's a long the way.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Jun 27, 23 5:21
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

They are correct. It's a UCI/IOC thing though and not up to each country/NGB. It's worded a bit differently now but it used to say explicitly that only riders entered in the road race were eligible to race the TT. It's essentially the same now since countries only gain spots for the TT through the road race quota places which means in reality you have to be part of a UCI pro team and qualify for the road race in order to race the TT(with a few exceptions). Getting a spot in the Olympic TT is not as straight forward as "just" winning nationals and maybe dabbling in a few TT's a long the way.

The Knibb situation does raise the question, then, as to whether Paula could potentially sign with a UCI team in order to open the possibility of qualifying for the olympics. A few problems: this is obviously in Team Canada's interest, but not really in a pro team's interest. But I guess there is the possibility that a sponsor kicks in some dough to sweeten the deal for a team if they see value in that move. I do wonder about the whole Knibb to Trek thing and what the arrangement/goals of that are. The other problem is she's on Specialized, so could only go to SD Worx, AG/Soudal/Quickstep and L3gion, as far as I know. Realistically you could really only see L3gion doing it if, say, Specialized said they'd throw some extra money their way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pulled that from page 6 of the 2021 Tokyo Policy. See page five (5) in the 2024 Olympic Policy.

"The ITT starter(s) and any alternate(s) will be named from among athletes selected to the Road Race at the discretion of the Nomination Panel based on international performances in the 12 months prior to the nomination deadline and Section C, Clause 3."
Last edited by: GingerAvenger: Jun 27, 23 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Not to derail thread too much, but then lionel has a chance for the olympic spot too. Regardless, +1 vote for Puala to go for the olympics!
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling Canada draft Olympic Policy
https://cyclingcanada.ca/...-Paris-OG-INP-V2.pdf

Olympic qualification explainer:
https://olympics.com/...ion-system-explained

It looks like Canada has 2 possible strategies, a road race priority and an ITT priority. In Tokyo, Canada got 3 spots in the womens RR (I believe the 3rd spot was after re-allocation) and 2 in the womens TT, and they could have selected a maximum of 4 riders per gender total between those 2 events. I could see them leaning towards the RR priority with Alison's P-R result...unless Paula shows up to Glasgow and gets an amazing result.

Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Not to derail thread too much, but then lionel has a chance for the olympic spot too. Regardless, +1 vote for Puala to go for the olympics!

If "fitness influencer" Lionel was interested, he would have shown up at Nationals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps if .............
1 hour Canadian record holder Lionel Sanders had tried, he like her would have had a shot, but he was entered in a different race this week.

But then there's always someone who can't stand success.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Perhaps if .............
1 hour Canadian record holder Lionel Sanders had tried, he like her would have had a shot, but he was entered in a different race this week.

But then there's always someone who can't stand success.

Lionel fans gonna be Lionel fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" possibly the Olympic Games this summer" - hold your horses!

Thank you. Corrected!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, I'm just tired of sad little shits who can only get it up by denigrating others.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Not really, I'm just tired of sad little shits who can only get it up by denigrating others.

Ok, then, good thing I didn't denigrate anyone, so you can move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
synthetic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

If "fitness influencer" Lionel was interested, he would have shown up at Nationals.

As a fitness influencer you need to be taking the opportunities where you will get the most views, and this is usually done with new content over repetition
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
synthetic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

As a fitness influencer you need to be taking the opportunities where you will get the most views, and this is usually done with new content over repetition

LOL. Most influencer content is repetitive with costume changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay 2X Canadian Road Time Trial Champion [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's complicated.

If we are are talking the Olympic Games - it's a bit of a numbers game, regarding entries for a particular Sport Discipline as a whole ie Road Cycling, that the IOC puts on that Discipline. So NSO's tend to choose, via whatever process they use, riders who will be able to do BOTH the ITT and the Road Race - to send a rider who would JUST do the ITT, for countries using the full compliment of the riders that they are sending, who would just do the ITT, would be rare!

The UCI World Championships are a different beast - and there may be a bit more latitude there. But NSO's are still looking for and giving perhaps more consideration to riders who can perform multiple tasks - particularly this years' Super UCI World Championships in Scotland. Take a Derek Gee as an example - he might be the extreme opposite of a Paula Findlay - even though they are BOTH Canadian ITT Champions. Gee - could race the ITT, the Road Race, AND has extensive experience on the Track, being part of Canada's Team Pursuit Team internationally (Bronze Medal at in the Team Pursuit at the 2019 World Championships), and the Endurance Races on the Track (Points Race etc . . . - he's a past Canadian Champion in that). That Gee is a lock for a spot going to Glasgow is 100% a certainty. Paula Findlay if she wanted to go??

I know the Cycling Canada selection Committee is virtually meeting over the next week to finalize the Team for Glasgow!

Quote Reply

Prev Next