Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled!
Quote | Reply
On Monday, July 6th, the state of Massachusetts released Phase III re-opening guidance and standards for businesses operating in the Commonwealth. This documentation indicated that "Road races and other large, outdoor organized amateur or professional group athletic events" may not be conducted until the state moves into the Phase 4 of the re-opening process. The state will move into Phase 4 when the development of coronavirus vaccines and/or treatments that enable resumption of "new normal" are developed and, unfortunately, that is not expected before September.

As a result, I must regrettably inform you that the Patriot Half will not take place as planned on September 5th. This is yet another in a long line of 2020 event cancellations that has been incredibly disappointing to me as I'm sure it has been for you. While it's hard to know when it will end and when we will return to a "new normal" I remain positive knowing that day will come and, as my friend Dave McGillivray likes to say, the comeback will be bigger than the setback.
Last edited by: gguerini: Jul 13, 20 18:41
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This makes me wonder even more about the 2021 Boston Marathon in April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah there ya go, no races until vaccine or treatment. I suspect this will be the case in many places.
Chances of having a working and distributed vaccine or treatment in 2021? NFL.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the likelihood that we will have an effective vaccine that’s been mass distributed by April are extremely slim. A vaccine may likely exist by then but I seriously doubt it would be available to everyone in that timeframe.

These marathons with XX,XXX number of participants are not happening until we as a society are effectively vaccinated.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point I'm just hoping there will be a way to have Tuesday night ski races at Weston this winter... we'll see! The various guidances on the Mass website are a bit hard to navigate, took me a while to find the guidance you mentioned above. It is here: https://www.mass.gov/...r-and-outdoor-events
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally bummed on this. It was going to be my first half and I've only heard awesome things about it. I signed up the day registration opened last year since I got locked out the year before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was still signed up for the race as I was hopeful when we first were given the choice in the spring that things would have improved enough that the race could go on and I'd feel OK about participating. But with much of the country having a big resurgence, it was no surprise to me that it was cancelled and I was increasingly feeling uncomfortable with participating.

It's a great race and maybe by next year we'll be able to race, but the vaccine requirement is a really big hurdle to overcome in that time frame. For this fall, I'll probably do the virtual option, it's not the same thing but it's also a way to support great RDs like Mark Walters & Tim Richmond and make sure that they'll still be around in the future to put on well-run and safe races.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do the same guys need to reply to every race cancellation thread? You guys are a broken record.
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Why do the same guys need to reply to every race cancellation thread? You guys are a broken record.

Another poster was wondering about 2021 Boston Marathon. I was replying to that. Not the Patriot Half being canceled.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder whether the "new normal" will look a lot more like July 2020 than Jul 2019.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellow Weston racer here... guess it's a small world.

I guess this Phase 4 doesn't fare well for racing in September... I was hoping I'd be able to sneak in a couple events after all but this doesn't bode well for that.

I think I'll have to dedicate the rest of the season to personal PR's in running and then just try to keep improving on some of the TT courses on the bike little by little.

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Re: Patriot Half 2020 (Massachusetts) - Cancelled! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Verbalized what we're all thinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks, i understand and appreciate our state's very deliberate approach to all of this, but those of us on the competitive side of fitness are all itching for some action. I've been in some denial about the CX season (even though one major two day event in Falmouth scheduled for November has already been cancelled), but the reality is without the vaccine things won't move forward and as long as we can prevent ourselves from becoming a FL or CA or wherever, we should do our best to sacrifice some of the fun things in the short term.

There are weekly crit races going on in NH and CT now, I'm not even remotely crit ready, I'm just finding joy in the process of training and hopefully doing a few epic rides (I already did 100 miles last weekend following the course of the Flattest Century in the East, highly recommend the south coast for riding).
Quote Reply