Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom?
Quote | Reply
With Gyms closed and people at out of work and at home going out for exercise, do you think some non runners will try running ambivalently as a way to stay in shape and start to like it?

And if yes....could this eventually carry over to increased Triathlon participation eventually?
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotally speaking... I have never seen more people out on bikes or running and walking than the past couple of weeks. Also doing so responsibly from a COVID-19 perspective.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same in Gainesville
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s probable for running based on the past. Running is the great stress reliever. Running is also the easiest form of fitness there is. To start all you need is a pair of shorts and a pair of shoes. They don’t even have to be the latest shoes, just an old pair of running shoes you have (virtually everyone has a pair of running shoes). Just watch your local streets. You’ll see more and more people going out for a “run” in the coming weeks. Encourage it.

Triathlon if anything will feed off a running “boom” in the future. Few if anybody goes from couch to triathlon. Where it also might get hurt is the cycling portion of triathlon is if it’s even possible getting more expensive. Bike + Smart Trainer + Monthly Zwift or other fee. If you have that set up you understand how fun it can be. If you are simply stressed and need to start a fitness program it looks really expensive.

Even if you try running and like it, a pair of running shoes is still within the budget.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My prediction is the opposite. For the majority of participants triathlon is a challenge. I'm thinking most people will feel challenged enough surviving this world crisis and won't need to "prove" themselves by completing an endurance event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
other running and endurance sport booms have happened in times of global crisis such as cold war in the 60s. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people take up running in the coming year and then when life eventually returns to normal continue up with it. Tri is a bit different as the cost will be a big deterrent for people especially give the increase in layoffs that have and will continue to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, when I think of a ''running boom'', I think of the big events and I don't think they are coming back. People aren't going to forget what we are going through right now and things are going to change. I don't see hundreds or thousands of people all lined up, sweating and snorting, at any time in the near future. I'm still running and cycling but both pools that I use are closed. I'll get back to swimming when the pools open, but I'll be surprised if the races come back.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a route that i run down to the beach and back, its 5 miles round trip, i never see anyone on it, this past week i've seen a dozen or so more folks to where i had to go a new route to stay away from folks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's nice to see families and people out riding bikes and running however, I wish they would have more trail etiquette. Out here in the Sacramento suburbs, walkers and runners are required to be on the left side of the trail and cyclists on the right...similar to road rules however here's what I'm seeing:
  • Kids riding zigzag on the trail and parents completely clueless about this
  • Easy to spot a new rider because they aren't wearing helmets
  • No verbal warnings (bike back, passing left, etc.)
  • People distracted by talking on their phones and wandering all across the path
  • Walkers walking side by side 3-4 across not leaving any room to pass on either a bike or running
  • Cyclists riding too fast (on this particular trail, it's more of a running/family trail whereas the American River Trail is better for riding fast)

I do think there will be an explosion in the 5k market and perhaps there will be a few "Covid 19k" races this fall :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too early to tell. If the lockdown ends in a month, I think most people will very happily return to their pre-lockdown routines.

Are most of the new runners we are seeing young, especially young men? Those are the runners we need staying with it after the crisis ends to create a new running/triathlon boom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if yes....could this eventually carry over to increased Triathlon participation eventually?
---

Sadly, I think this whole thing could hurt the triathlon community a lot more than it'll help the running community. By the time we get out of this, the 2020 season will likely be over. Or, at the very least, near it's end. Based on the cost and time commitment for no return on your investment, motivation (especially for the newcomers) in tri will likely drop. With all the pools closed, it only increases the likelihood that late season races will be impacted. The established athletes probably won't be negatively impacted. Worse, the smaller independent races are going to struggle to recover their losses from a missed season. It'll be a year or two before triathlon reaps the benefits of a new found running boom.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's possible. Here's how I see it.

Do you reasonably see a return to profitability for many movie theaters, health clubs, amusement parks, cruise lines, etc? Some restaurants will do ok, maybe, but we're massively overbuilt in that regard, for what I see as a possible picture of the post-virus world.

This leaves tens of millions structurally unemployed. Thousands of stores, restaurants, nail salons, hotels, and other service sector businesses have closed down for good, whether they realize it or not. Now, the good thing is that unemployed won't starve and they will receive a guaranteed basic income for life - meaning that we as a nation will have permanently high unemployment, like Spain or Greece.

This will leave people with a lot more time on their hands - ie it is quite likely that they will channel their energy and time into low cost athletic pursuits like running or cycling or soccer.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My escape from crowds is trail running and riding on a gravel path. Historically the places I go to have very little traffic. They've been busy past two weeks. Entire families are hiking and riding bikes. Little boys are the worst. They will lock eyes with me and ride straight into me while making engine sounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My prediction is the opposite. For the majority of participants triathlon is a challenge. I'm thinking most people will feel challenged enough surviving this world crisis and won't need to "prove" themselves by completing an endurance event.

But didn't we see the past running and triathlon boom after the great recession?
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Same in Gainesville

Been there once and will happily social distance myself from Gainesville for eternity.

Go Vols.
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Sadly, I think this whole thing could hurt the triathlon community a lot more than it'll help the running community. By the time we get out of this, the 2020 season will likely be over. Or, at the very least, near it's end. Based on the cost and time commitment for no return on your investment, motivation (especially for the newcomers) in tri will likely drop. With all the pools closed, it only increases the likelihood that late season races will be impacted. The established athletes probably won't be negatively impacted. Worse, the smaller independent races are going to struggle to recover their losses from a missed season. It'll be a year or two before triathlon reaps the benefits of a new found running boom.

If pools don't open in April - I agree.

If they do reopen and the economy starts to heal, triathlon "could" see a small spike. Guessing running will see a spike no matter when things "return". Possibly even duathon could get a boost. Lots of triathletes could switch this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdotally speaking... I have never seen more people out on bikes or running and walking than the past couple of weeks. Also doing so responsibly from a COVID-19 perspective.

I know on the events side of the business for running, cycling and triathlon, there has been discussion that when we get back to normal, their may be an up-tick in participation rates - particularly with running, if the economy stays bad for an extended period of time. Running tends to do "well" in times like this. You need very little equipment, no gym membership etc . .

My feeling is less so this way for cycling and triathlon, due to the extra costs involved. But it always helps to have more people out on bikes, no matter how that is.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be great to see an uptick in running events. For the past few years running in events has dipped quite a bit. I was speaking to a former executive of one the the largest running event organizations. He said in general less than 50% of their entrants at the time were returning entrants. They had to go out and find and then entice new entrants. The hardest group to find and entice were 25-35 year old men.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Thanksgiving be the day that U.S. runners turn out in record numbers at races to celebrate the holiday and a return to normalcy or will the harm done by the pandemic be such that participant numbers will be lower than recent years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you in a few months as I'm tracking this data (in Australia).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are truly delusional at the moment. They've been at home for 2 weeks and are in a full on panic. First it began with raiding stores and hoarding goods. Now people have out of nowhere decided to eff up outdoor spaces and ruin it for everyone. We're having local parks shut down as a result. It's not a long term thing at all but sheer panic and lunacy. I'm pretty concerned for our spaces long term. This congregating is not positive. People are using parks to circumvent social distancing rules. It's just another form of selfishness. Do the New Year's Resolution folks stick around?
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

If pools don't open in April - I agree.

If they do reopen and the economy starts to heal, triathlon "could" see a small spike. Guessing running will see a spike no matter when things "return". Possibly even duathon could get a boost. Lots of triathletes could switch this year.

0% chance of the COVID situation in the US looking substantially better in 4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It's possible. Here's how I see it.

Do you reasonably see a return to profitability for many movie theaters, health clubs, amusement parks, cruise lines, etc? Some restaurants will do ok, maybe, but we're massively overbuilt in that regard, for what I see as a possible picture of the post-virus world.

This leaves tens of millions structurally unemployed. Thousands of stores, restaurants, nail salons, hotels, and other service sector businesses have closed down for good, whether they realize it or not. Now, the good thing is that unemployed won't starve and they will receive a guaranteed basic income for life - meaning that we as a nation will have permanently high unemployment, like Spain or Greece.

This will leave people with a lot more time on their hands - ie it is quite likely that they will channel their energy and time into low cost athletic pursuits like running or cycling or soccer.

It's way more likely they'll channel their energy into honing that butt-groove on the couch and online gaming.

I think you're overestimating your fellow citizens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna be some strong bike-runners out of the gate if we ever get to race again.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Pandemic create new running boom?...Triathlon boom? [Zach Ruble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach Ruble wrote:
Gonna be some strong bike-runners out of the gate if we ever get to race again.

We will all sink before we get a chance to climb on the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next