Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting a helmet...?
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you can tell it's the offseason. Like I don't have enough household projects I gotta get to...

I have a perfectly decent helmet that I wish to use an an expression of artistic irreverance. What kind of paint would one use to paint the helmet, presuming I didn't want to weaken the integrity of the structure?
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a helmet...? [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would start with this as a reference point, and then let your creative juices flow...

Last edited by: Monk: Nov 29, 04 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might want to double check this with Sweetpea but I had a friend who used artists acrylics to paint on his..didn't seem to affect the helmet at all
Quote Reply
DON'T DO IT!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't mean to shout, but USAT, USCF, amongst other sanctioning bodies are not keen on helmet painiting for the very reasons you are concerned about whilst painting.

The rules are pretty clear about what is and not kosher about helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using custom painted helemts since 1999 in all my USAT races. I've never had a problem. I always took them to an airbrush artist. Told him what I wanted and had them professionally done. I've got 3 Specialized Sub Six's custom painted. Yep, the helmets are no longer made and they are very old. I even crashed them a few times. I have 2 helmets that I also use now and then, a LG prologue and a Rudy Project T-Rex that are not painted.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a helmet...? [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody stopped you? I was told to not use a custom painted helmet by an official years ago.

Airbrushed helmets are probably the best bet since the paints used in airbrushes are (usually) water-soluble.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a helmet...? [HRH bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's there to stop you? Its in a bag when you enter transition and I'm so fast in and out of transition and a blurr on the bike, nobody can tell anything about the helmet anyway : )

Seriously though - I've never been told otherwise over the past 5 years. I've done races from local sprints to ironman distance races. Great Floridian, Gulf Coast Half, Clermont sprint series, Dannon Series, Coke Cola Race series and a few others around. Never had a problem!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a helmet...? [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the artist's acrylics. They should work pretty well if you do it correctly. First you should gesso the helmet surface and let it dry. I may even lightly rubit with a fine sandpaper before so that the gesso has more to grip on to. After, wait till the gesso dries (a couple of hours). Then you can paint away. Also, be suspicious of extremely cheap acrlyic paints. If you have none, go to a craft store and you should find some in their "fine art department". Make sure not to purchase child or student grade, since they tend to be horrible. Also, post your results. Oh, airbrushing should also work fine but unless you have a set, you have to get someone else to do it and is therefor not so much fun. good luck

noelle
Quote Reply