Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting Aluminum?
Quote | Reply
Hey, I've got an old aluminum fork (unpainted) that I want to paint to match a frame. Back in the day I painted a few cars, so I've got the painting process down. I was just wondering if there were any special considerations for painting aluminum? I've done a light wet sanding of the fork to make sure the primer adheres, anything else I should know? Regular primer OK?

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Aluminum? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since aluminium is a non-ferrous metal it typically requires an acid etching "wash primer" before applying a liquid coating. Of course this is dependent on what type of coating you are using as a topcoat. There are a few urethanes and epoxies that will adhere directly to aluminium. Must will clearly state on the can or data page. What product are you using as a top coat?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Aluminum? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erik- The etching process is what I haven't had any experience with. I did some searching on the net and found aerosol cans of "Self-etching primer." Know anything about the stuff? It looks like something like that would work fine for this fork. As for what I am using as a basecoat, I'm hoping to get by el-cheapo with some Ace Hardware spraypaint rather than having an automotive shop sell me a quart of paint, when all I'm painting is a fork. I think spraypaint will work alright, I just want to make sure it sticks.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Aluminum? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well first the bad news. Your old fork probably had a clear coating on it which would have been a good base for painting. Now that its gone due to sanding your best bet is to clean the fork really well with a mild dishwashing cleaner and then paint it with a good aluminum recommended primer, followed by a compatible topcoat. Purchase the primer and topcoat at the local hardware store, just make sure that they are recommended for aluminum and that they are preferable the same brand and you should be fine.

Styrrell
Quote Reply