Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paint stripping?
Quote | Reply
Long story short, i've got this low end, steel jamis atb frame that i am trying to paint pink. Nothing special, just a rattlecan job, but i'd like the paint to stay on, and look halfway decent. The paint on the frame looks like it was baked on. Any ideas for removing the old paint job? just standard paint stripper?
Quote Reply
Re: Paint stripping? [whokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take it to a auto body shop, have them either dip in some chemicals or sand blast it..it wouldnt cost that much and it may be worth it. unless you have lots of hours to kill!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, i've stripped the paint off old frames with nothing more than a sander and some poly-strippa. that stuff's great: coat the frame in it and leave that sucker in the sun for a while and the paint just blisters right off.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you really want to do a cheapo, quick, but reasonably durable paint job, just rough up the old paint with some fine sandpaper, clean the whole thing carefully w/ rubbing alcohol and then paint over the whole job.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Paint stripping? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply's.

So as it stands, i will either strip the paint with stripper, or try to rough it up with sandpaper and just spray over it. The paint looks very stiif, i'd be surprised if it sands well, but we'll see.

Any more suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a cheapo job, you really don't need to sand at all, but a tiny bit of roughing up will help paint adhesion.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of paint will you be using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Circa 1850 stripper also works - use the gel stuff in the yellow container, but I would try it on a small spot first to make sure it works.

p.
Quote Reply
Re: Paint stripping? [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not too sure...so far, i think i've decided on metallic pink spray paint, but i might opt for fluerescent pink, or just standard pink. The metallic looks pretty awsome though.

I just want the paint to stand a fighting chance of staying attached to the frame..nothing fancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A spray can job can come out really nice if you take your time. Try to find a area free of dust when you do it. If possible, mop your floors and leave them wet to hold down any dust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really only have 2 choices...if your going to go threw all the trouble to strip the paint off you should really prime the bare metal first, so the paint adhears properly..if you go this way you may as well do a great job [auto paint]....

My suggestion to you is to use some Scotchbrite pads [brand name for 3M] and scuff the original paint then respray over top...this will give you a good finish as long as the original paint is free of chips and flakes....

Just remember use light coats and build up the paint, letting it dry as per the directions on the can, spary bomb paint dryes very fast but on the outside surface only....the 1 mistake everyone makes is to add too many coats before the paint bellow gets a chance to dry leaving you with runs and a soft finish.....

Take your time and have fun......just make sure everything is perfectly clean!!!
Quote Reply