Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Packing Your Bike
Quote | Reply
No real point to this post, but just thought I'd share...

Well, just got done cramming my bike into a Tri All 3 case for the first time. I'm shipping my bike out Friday for IMFL, so I figured I better have a go at trying to get it into the case. It feels like when I open the case up next week, I'm gonna have a tangled mess of metal. I'm picturing frame scratched to hell, broken spokes, etc. Everything is wedged in tight, so I don't really think I'll have a problem, but trying to get everything in there was a little unnerving since I'm usually pretty careful with my bikes.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that I got were those sticks of spongy pipe insulation to protect my frame. They fit perfectly around it if you are worried about scratches...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And don't forget to put that pvc pipe across the box to prevent the sides from caving into your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Irongiant72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every trip has a new scratch to remember it by. it's like geting patches for your backpack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my bike box for three years now, and never had any damage to the bike, although a few chunks have been taken out of the box itself! (You can repair it with some special goo -- call Tri All 3 for info.) Of course, now that I've said that, I can imagine what my bike will look like when I get to Panama City this Saturday!!!

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd agree with the pipe insulation as a very good item for bike shipping, since that's what i mostly use. however, it doesn't do the whole job, and my overall theme is no metal against metal. in some parts i wrap a towel (which is to be used in the race T) around a part, very light clothes (e.g., run shorts) around the brakes, and so on.
still and yet, shipping one's bike seems to be a world of constant surprises.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike Transport!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pipe insulation and bubble wrap really does the trick as far as scratches. I always put an empty hub in the fork and rear ends too. We had a bunch of old canvas from a set of drapes when we got new ones made. I washed it and had my wife sew some big wheel bags and frame bag to put all the parts in as well. A seat/seatpost bag, aerobar bag, shoe bag and tool bag keep the TSA people earning their pay, but gives them a chance to put everything back in a good spot too.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep the TSA people earning their pay, but gives them a chance to put everything back in a good spot too.

===========================================================================

& do they seize that chance?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike box I rented had a TSA pamphlet in it. The advice I got was don't lock it and they won't go through it. Also, if you pack a bike pump in your regular luggage, which I did, pretty much guarantees they'll go through your luggage. They went through mine on the way their and home. My only piece of advice, is try to get a non stop flight to minimize the handling of your bike box.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [NHTamela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only country I have travelled (including most of Europe as well as Canada and Brazil) I have locked my case without issue or requested to unlock it. However, I always have left it unlocked when travelling to or from the US as I know the regulations. That said, EVERY time I have travelled into or out of the states the bike box gets opened, and no, I never take a pump with me either.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: JulianInEngland: Oct 27, 05 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "lock" my bike box using Zip ties. Keeps sticky fingers out of my box but lets TSA in if they want to search it. Or, at least lets me know if they did
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Irongiant72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And don't forget to put that pvc pipe across the box to prevent the sides from caving into your bike.

---------------------

how does this work? I don't have that with mine.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or..for us poor folk out there, a properly sized cardboard bike box from your LBS works fine. Just have enough sheets of foam rubber so that each wheel and frame are separated from each other by at least one layer of padding. Even better, find a thin sheet of med. hard plastic for the two large sides and you're set. The net effect is a box that is ready to explode if not for ample duct tape but will bounce off anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all the preparation i've done for this race, and like you the thing i'm stressing about the most is getting my bike there. I've never even removed the seat, so the idea of my position possibly being 'tinkered' with doesn't sit well.

That said, the guys at Inside-Out who service the race are top notch and will help. Just mark everything so you (or they) know where you like your seat/aerobars, etc. and if you can't do it just take it to them on Wednesday morning and they will.

also, throw in some C02 and allen keys and other stuff that they won't let you take on the airplane.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, they will take/remove any CO2 cartridges if they find them. This is the new rule since 9/11. So plan on buying some at the race venue and plan on leaving them or giving them to someone from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Ironwoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said he was shipping his bike (as am I).

I realize that you can't pack these things if you are flying with your bike, but is that true for shipping them as well? If so, i'm in twuble.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missed that part. Not sure about shipping, I would assume you could but I would call and check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the bubble wrap. Get a big roll of it from the UPS store, FEDEX, etc and fill every square cm of the case not filled by the bike. The PVC pipe is critical.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Crono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you placing the PVC pipe exactly?
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [chainring711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zip ties in the latches - yes - I do this and it gives me peace of mind knowing at the other end if they are still there - I'm ok

Use electrical tape to tape the parts at the level they are at (Seatpost - bars, stem etc - BEFORE removing them - then simply reinstall to that point.

The PVC pipe goes directly across the center of the box - within the main frame triangle - your case may not have it - but I am sure you could rig something up - it is to prevent or minimize side crushing

No pumps, no CO2

It is certainly stressful flying withyour bike - but hey - you have to do it and for all the bikes that get flown all over the country and world - you only hear of the horror stories - I have never had any issues flying with my bike
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [oneforty.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait...no pumps???
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carry it on
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [oneforty.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks...just curious as to why I can't pack it. Its not like it is going to explode.
Quote Reply
Re: Packing Your Bike [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre right - but........it looks on an xray machine to be something other than a pump - so better to simply carry it on - it is only light and doesn;t take up much overhead space

Placing it into the box is no big deal - however, it increases the chances of TSA opening the box.

I also make a point of carrying on my helmet - only because I don;t want it getting damaged in freight - a crack may not be visible - but if you do go down - it could be disasterous.

I place it in a bag - with a few other goodies - ipod - sunglasses - etc etc
Quote Reply

Prev Next