Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacific Grove Anybody?
Quote | Reply
It was my first time doing Pacific Grove Oly race and just curious from vets if the kelp is always that bad. I am a pretty good swimmer (former collegiate swimmer) but that nasty shit stopped me in my tracks a few times. Usually I can easily manage 21-22 minutes in 1.5KM swim but nearly 25 minutes Saturday. Yikes that stuff was thick in some places. After the first lap I started to figure out the strategy and swim around it even if it meant going off line. Sometimes you have to say to hell with the pack in front of you and make your own way and I think that did help.

I would love to hear from those of you that have done the race a few times and comment on conditions vs prior years. Not that I am complaining...the clear skies were awesome despite somewhat rough seas and kelp. I must say it is about the prettiest race venue I have ever seen. Even my wife enjoyed this one and she hates coming to races.

Mike
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Pacific Grove Anybody? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How were the TNT crowds? This was my first year in three I wasn't there.

I was expecting a purple haze but it wasn't really all that crowded with purple. Overall the crowds and volunteers were great. Very supportive and friendly. You missed a great year to go. Clear skies and mid 70's to low 80's.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Grove Anybody? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first PG also. I tried swimming around the kelp on my second lap and ended up with major stomach pain. Why, because one of the swells threw me down onto a rock. I am still a tad sore, but I did not find it amusing when it happened.

A spectator said they had to break up the TNT folks into three waves instead of one. I did not see many on the bike course, and the ones I did see, stayed to the right.

What was up with the lack of discs on the bike course. I counted 5 including myself.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply