Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacific Coast Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I did this race on Sunday. Anyone else there? Great weather, great race. Cold water, plenty of hills, EPIC post-race feed! A class A sprint race. Saw Russ "The Grunt Guy" Jones there. Overall winner was Ian Pyott who seems to win everything around here! Emilio Desoto was 5th overall.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there, and must agree the water was cold! and they said it was 66 degrees. They lied!! The bike course suited me very well, my strengths are hill climbing and TT'ing, so I was in heaven! what age group were you in? I was in the 20-29.

I thought the water was cold until out past the surf. There it seemed to be warmer. But the red tide, although slight, made for pretty murky water. I apologize to whoever it was I swam over just after the last buoy.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [GasMunky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in 35-39, though I'm 41 years old. A friend couldn't race last minute and called me Friday night at 9pm to give me his spot, so I took it. Don't tell anyone. Funny enough, I would have placed lower in the 40-44 with my time than I did in the younger age group.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you would have gotten a beating in the 40-44. There are a tons of fast guys in that age group who prefer to do this race (and not L.A.).

I think it is one of the most fun and challenging sprint races I have ever done. Bill Leach and his crew as always did a great job, especially with that few volunteers.

No problem for me are people who are too stupid to learn the rules, and there will always be people hugging the median and wearing headphones. I get used to that and the course was wide enough to deal with that (and the drafting).

However, what always gets me if they allow friends and family members in the Transition Zone before, during and after the race (and at the finishline buffet). You really get worried about your equipment and your safety with all that Tourism going on in the TZ. When I was coming back from the bike, there were 2 gals (obviously not competitors nor officials) strolling and chatting along right where I had my spot. I really felt for all the later waves who had to weave through competitors and tourists in the TZ that were packing up or celebrating their accomplishments. This is rude and unfair towards your fellow competitors and as far as I know reason for a penalty, maybe even a DQ.

Bill Leach, are you reading this?

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adrialin,

I saw quite a few supporters in the transition before the race and I was surprised, but I must say it didn't bother me too much. I'm sure it's calming to some competitors to have them with them. Of course you don't want to see anyone getting in the way.

I actually did not see family members in the transition afterwards, but saw plenty in the buffet area which I actually thought was good because the athletes could share their race with their families and/or supporters.

I noticed when I was scarfing down some food after the race that there were some guys going back into transition to pack up and get out. I must admit that I did the same just before the official opening of the TZ because I wanted to get back and take a shower ASAP. I was also a bit worried about my equipment as you mentioned as well. I think it would have been better to keep everyone out until the end, but when you see like thirty-forty others doing it...well you know. Not the best excuse..but an excuse none the less ;-). I must say though that I was very careful of the other competitors still coming in.

I think that Bill and the other organizers just didn't get the number of volunteers needed so that they could police the Transition Zone. Those guys have a tough job and overal I would say they did a great job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must admit I didn't even notice the temperature of the water during the race. I went in probably twenty minutes or so before to get use to it and to put on my cap and goggles. Maybe getting use to the temp before hand helped me. Did you by chance do a warm up in the water before your wave start?

BTW-Great job and congrats on your race.
Last edited by: The Lemming: Sep 12, 05 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I went in twice before my wave went off. The water did feel very nice farther from shore, but close to shore it was kind of chilly.

-The three bike length rule was certainly just a joke on the course. It's so hard to enforce though becuause you had people all over the place.

-I saw guys having to pass on the right because there were guys going 15-18mph almost all the way on the left hand side. I just used my voice and told them that I was passing on the left. So many people seem tepid(sp) about using their voice.

-There were guys just free wheeling down the hills which I had a chuckle at since you could see them loose major ground while guys were flying by them. That's free time folks!

-I had guys try to draft off of me (or did) but I tried not to worry about it and just race my race, I never looked back.

-I had a great time at this race!
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw/heard a guy walk through transition before the race and call out for all non-competitors to leave the transition, but it was one guy and they didn't enforce it. There was alot of traffic on the bike course and some folks that were not up on the etiquette, riding on the left, so had to pass on the right, stuff like that. That is common at some races with the high percentage of new racers, but luckily there was enough room to pass.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was warmer because I had to go out there about six times before my race to pee off my nerves! And then, standing at the start, I had to go again... and did. That's a weird feeling. If I keep this up, I might actually be able to pee off the bike at IMFL!

Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Results are up. http://www.active.com/...0_20050911012817.txt

This is a first for me: I did EXACTLY the same time as last year. Down to the split second (I didn't wear a watch). How funny is that!

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Coast Triathlon [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's bizarre. The swim seemed shorter than last year, but still longer than a half-mile. I'm thinking at least 900 yards or a thousand. I was six minutes faster than last year and moved up 8 places. I was basically 2 minutes faster in each segment. My best race ever.

Quote Reply