Unreal? Zwift marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It happens from time to time: https://www.youtube.com/...ab_channel=TheRunner

The pacemaker is an official entrant, so is technically eligible to win. IMO, as long as they do their job (i.e. set a steady, agreed-upon pace) it's fair play if the contenders can't/won't follow and the pacer wins.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, remember the LA Marathon? High school teacher gets the cash, then xtra cash for nationals then a Mercedes!

https://www.google.com/...ns-field-in-marathon

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Legendary!!!

He gapped the field so badly, the second place dude thought Pilkington had dropped and raised his arms in victory as he crossed the line (if I remember correctly)

The only reason I know this is because they picked this one year to do a wire-to-wire national broadcast on one of the majors (ABC or NBC) like they do with New York, but that never caught on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1994 was the year I sort of stopped doing a lot of “youth stuff” and started running, mtb, endurance sports etc. I remember reading about this guy and thinking who knew? Runners can be effing bad asses too!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a very Punk Rock thing to do #stickittotheman

Joe Strummer would've approved

Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just reading the article - my only knowledge on what happened - doesn’t it seem like he knew all along he might keep running but - and this is the important part - let the other racers believe he would drop out?

I am not entirely enamored with that if it is indeed how it went down.

A race has tactics. Misleading your opponents seems like a dubious tactic.

Regarding this latest event: channeling my inner synthetic : the shoes probably played a roll here. I think everyone who has worn them has experienced that surprise of “how am I running this pace so easily...” which is what happened here.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacer wins marathon. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Just reading the article - my only knowledge on what happened - doesn’t it seem like he knew all along he might keep running but - and this is the important part - let the other racers believe he would drop out?

I am not entirely enamored with that if it is indeed how it went down.

A race has tactics. Misleading your opponents seems like a dubious tactic.

Not keeping up with the rabbit is a dubious tactic, too. It was his job to set a pace, which he did; they couldn't keep up. I think if he had been struggling, or it had been close, he would've dropped

It says he didn't think about staying in for the win until mile 15 or 16

Was he supposed to drop back and say "Hey, I feel great and I'm staying in, sorry" or wave his hands around to say "C'mon guys! I'm still up here!"

This was, what? Twenty seven years ago? It's great story and no sense debating anyone's motives or tactics [or lack thereof] at this point

Quote Reply