Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PF Paranoia
Quote | Reply
Ok, here's the situation.

For the last 4-5 months or so I have been following BarryP's running program. 6 days per week, 1long, 2medium, 3 recover. It's been going great...I took a two week break due to a toe injury not really related to running. Other than that I've steadily built up to 25:50:75 minutes of running. Everything has been feeling great, and for the last 2 weeks I've stayed at this distance because I was studying for an exam and didn't want to over extend myself.

So this past week I ran with no issues at all. On Saturday I had a 45min CT Time trial and did a 50min run in the morning, studied mid-day, and did my ride in the afternoon. Nothing of any significance happened on Saturday. Did my ride, felt fine. I was on my feet a fair chunk of the day, more than usual...but no big deal. I went to bed feeling fine.

Sunday I woke up...and I can't remember the exact timing of events, but the bottom of my right foot was quite sore. I do not remember if it was my first step out of bed or not. But It came on very quickly from one day to the next with no idication of a problem on saturday. I don't remember stepping on anything. I do remember doing something awkward with my foot that started a mild foot cramp...but I can't honestly remember if it was even this foot. And I don't remember it getting bad...but I know a calf cramp can hurt for days and days after its gone.

I didn't run on Sunday to be safe, I needed to study anyway. I iced it, heated it, and even wore the boot Sunday night to keep the foot stretched. Monday I'd say the foot felt the same. However walking on it seemed to make it worse. I iced and it felt a bit better. I ran Monday afternoon, just a light 25 minute run to see how it would react. I iced if afterward and heated it later. It didn't hurt any more or less as a result.

Today I'd say it feels the same, maybe a bit better. It does not hurt worse in the am...it does not seem to warm up. The only exception to this is heat or swimming...I like doing kicking sets to get blood flowing in the lower legs/feet. I did that this am and did a little massage and the foot felt pretty pain free after that.
There is no tightness in the foot like I'd expect from PF, but near the base of the heal it is tender. It is sore to the touch like a bruise, the pain is dull and more diffuse as opposed to sharp. Not sure if that's because the foot cramp or not. Plus when I massage the foot it doesn't feel tight at all. the tissue seems pretty soft and flexible.

I've been pretty prone to PF over the years. I have fairly high arches...but my feet feel better w/out orthotics. But it's always been my left foot, not the right one. Any words of wisdom here? I'm willing to take a few days off running to see how it reacts. Do people have success with home-therapy while still running, or lowered running miles? Does PF present itself in different ways like this? It just seems like it came on pretty fast for PF. Typically with PF isn't there some dull pain you ignore for a while before it becomes full blown painful?

Am I just being a paranoid wimp in need of some HTFU?

Quote | Reply
My experience with PF is that it can happen both ways slow and fast
The last time I had PF in 04 it came on suddenly in a HIM race with no
warning leading up to the race. Sounds like backing off and doing the usual
treatment will help. If you know the taping method that helped me more than
anything.
Quote Reply
Re: PF Paranoia [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been pretty prone to PF over the years.

In Reply To:
...walking on it seemed to make it worse. I iced and it felt a bit better.

In Reply To:
It is sore to the touch like a bruise, the pain is dull and more diffuse as opposed to sharp.

In Reply To:
It just seems like it came on pretty fast for PF. Typically with PF isn't there some dull pain you ignore for a while before it becomes full blown painful?

The initial stages of PF would be my first thought (you seem to be in the "dull pain you try to ignore" phase...Sounds like you are doing the right stuff....RICE and all...I'd probably go see a running focused podiatrist...
Last edited by: jager66: Mar 30, 10 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: PF Paranoia [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

I know the tape-job, but it's been a while. i'll give that a shot when I get home. I had been a little lax with my TP rollers...I'll hit those pretty hard. Maybe I'll even run out to walgreens at lunch and grab more tape...I'm a little low anyway.

I have orthotics...but they need to be refurbished. I've been hoping to get away with not wearing them. Just trying to run without all the junk in my shoes. But perhaps I just won't be that lucky.

Who knows...maybe I'll be lucky and that cramp caused some soreness that will be gone tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote | Reply
What type of tape do you use
I used elastoplast but the name has been changed to
tenoplast. It reminds me of a thin ace wrap with a sticky side.
Quote Reply
Re: PF Paranoia [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically normal sports tape. same stuff they'd use to wrap an ankle.

If I find it really helps after a couple days I'm probably going to get my orthotics looked at and redone. I wouldn't need the tape then. But I'd like to run without them if I can.

Quote | Reply
When I used the tape I mentioned I lived in it for about 8wks
one application would last 3-5days and that is with swimming
hot tube, shower and all of the daily stuff. You have to get the
tension right and it has some give. When I used the tape I didn't
have to use the orthotics
Quote Reply
Re: PF Paranoia [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check that tape out. I usually want to change it after a day or two...especially if I am working out and swimming. It gets pretty nasty. Plus I want the skin to breath and all that.

Do you know of any exercises to strenthgen that area to prevent this in the future?

Quote | Reply
I thought the tape was a little pricy to change that often
and my wife didn't complain about smell. I agree it is good
to let your skin breath. The skin on my foot was a bit irritated
after 8 wks. Stretches exercises the usual calf an achilles stretch
also place a towel flat on the floor and gather it under your foot
using your toes. I felt the boot at nite helped. Get a 20oz coke bottle
full of water and freeze the roll
Quote Reply
Re: PF Paranoia [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try massaging it? Try freezeing a ergo shaped bottle of poland springs or like it and rollong foot over it. From the calf to toe. Try digging your fingers into heel calf and instep and massage opposite way of the way the mudcles go. A chiro told me this and worked wonders for me. My PF went away when I stretched it out a bit.