Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here.
Quote | Reply
I don't remember a single poster where Tom was trying to sell something. In fact, I've thought about buying stuff from him on occasion, but I honestly don't know the best way to go about it. You'd think that if he were posting here in order to make a buck, he'd make giving him one very easy.

I appreciate Tom's knowledge and insight. It's something that you can't get from a non-industry guy. This forum would be much worse off without his regular posts.

Cheers,

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree..........99.9%
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [king1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also agree. Keep Tom's post here. I can't remember him saying only 1099.00 at Bikesport.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we should start a Tom D Satin room. I would read it all the time. Equipment, bad relationships, suppressed homosexual desires, great insights.

It would be the biggest room in the house.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think we should start a Tom D Satin room. I would read it all the time. Equipment, bad relationships, suppressed homosexual desires, great insights.
It would be the biggest room in the house.[/reply]

This is huge. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really quite simple. If he has a great deal, he could not mention price and provide a link to his website. That way everybody would be happy. Right?!!
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm- that describes the entire contents of my skull....

Hey Khai, did you know you are responsible for the biggest thread, highest amount of hits on this forum with your hottie thread? We should make a statue of you in the Slowtwitch town square!

THAT's huge!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom and his posts have caused me to spend a lot of money, but never once did I think of spending it with him. Not even sure how I would do that if I wanted to. I have never even seen an attempt to actually sell something directly to anybody outside of his local area. When he puts up a post about the quality or value of a product, I read it and think about what he says and where I could find that item locally. He never says Call 1-800-Bikesport and I will sell you one. There is no link on his site to buy stuff online.

His posts about the importance of getting a bike fit to determine what bikes work best for each person caused me to drive to Transition Sports of Oakland. I got my measurements taken, determined what would work for me and bought my tri bike there. Without his advice I would have purchased a different bike from an online retailer that I thought was cool but would have been way too big for me. So he saved me a few grand. Thanks Tom.

His posts on what his shop does for the local races and community got me thinking about my LBS Livermore Cyclery and what they do for my community. I now buy a lot more from them and almost nothing online. I also went out of my way to find the owner and thank him for his support of local races and events.

There are a lot of suspect people on this forum and everywhere on the internet; I don’t think Tom is one of them. Without him, I wouldn’t spend as much time here. So I guess he is indirectly selling ads for Dan. More hits on Slowtwitch = more ad revenue for Dan.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the petition that his "knowledge-promoting posts should remain here." That's been part of my point all along.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Tom has been a great source of knowledge and always helps people with their questions and problems. If he can boost his business at the same time, then more power to him.

Those that don't like his posts, just don't read them. Move your mouse over to something else. What? If something is posted on this board you have to read it?

I think Tom should post more information about his store and the equipment he carries. He tests everything out and gives us good insight on what works.

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [dopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't see posting pictures of some bad ass new wheels, or saying that HED aero bars are in transit as being blatantly commercial. People are interested in this stuff. And generally, the stuff Tom speaks of is sold in advance anyway. He's just keeping everyone in the loop as far as industry deliverables are concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep 'em here Tom - we love 'ya! Although, I have to admit, my next bike purchase will probably be at your shop since it isn't all that far and I 'kinda want to support you. So, maybe your posts are a 'sorta subliminal marketing thing :)

Quote | Reply
I am from Michigan and I did buy a bike from Tom not because he directly asked me to through a post on this board. Although truthfully I purchased it from him because of his posts. The information which he freely shares and the clues to his character in his posts influenced my buying decision.

Keep Tom's posts where they are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought some stuff from Tom because of the insights and Time he devotes to this free website. I felt that he is handing information out that I would otherwise be forced to deal with some snot nosed BMX'er at my LBS to attempt to get.

As far as I am concerned Bikesport Michigan is my LBS.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we should start a Tom D Satin room.
It would be the biggest room in the house.

No, it wouldn't, and I'll tell you why. If Demerly gets driven out of the main room, I'm going to be pissed. I will make it my mission to make the new room fail. I'll hijack that room faster than your's was, Tibbs. All religion, all the time. I so swear.

Demerly's not going anywhere, if you all know what's good for you.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think we should start a Tom D Satin room. I would read it all the time. Equipment, bad relationships, suppressed homosexual desires, great insights
Great idea!--I agree completely.

And, yes, Tom rarely appears here with a sales pitch. By far, he just shares info, and quite useful info at that.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't remember a single poster where Tom was trying to sell something. In fact, I've thought about buying stuff from him on occasion, but I honestly don't know the best way to go about it. You'd think that if he were posting here in order to make a buck, he'd make giving him one very easy.
It's not done overtly, he's smarter than that, but he's selling. And are you kidding about the second part? How many posts has he made that include the link to www.bikesportmichigan.com ? Go there and get his number and call him. If not that, PM him.
Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm not kidding. Never has he said "Click here to purchase..." or "Call this number to purchase..." After reading the Velomax thread yesterday, I found it interesting that I didn't even know if Tom would sell me these wheels if I called him, because I can't recall him making any mention of selling stuff to people on this forum. In all honesty, I would expect him to tell me I was a jackass for wasting his time when I could go buy the wheels locally and support my own LBS.

The fact that he's in the bicycle industry makes it difficult to separate the man from his business, but this is no different than the many coaches that post on this site, or Frank Day, or Herbert, or Gerard, or countless others. Without these guys we'd be a bunch of idiots (myself included) giving each other advice about shit we don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, I'm not kidding. Never has he said "Click here to purchase..." or "Call this number to purchase..." After reading the Velomax thread yesterday, I found it interesting that I didn't even know if Tom would sell me these wheels if I called him, because I can't recall him making any mention of selling stuff to people on this forum. In all honesty, I would expect him to tell me I was a jackass for wasting his time when I could go buy the wheels locally and support my own LBS.
Give me a break... your post might make sense if you used "Dan" who doesn't sell anything, or "Gerard" who is the manufacturer and doesn't sell to the public, but for "Tom", it's what he does... he sells bike stuff. And he has admitted that he sells a tremendous amount of bike stuff as a result of his posts on this forum (without ever saying "Click here to purchase..." or "Call this number to purchase...").
Quote Reply
I screw up my first semi-substantive post? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF? I tried to back Demerly and voted in the wrong petition thread? Sigh. No wonder I don't post.
Quote Reply
Re: I screw up my first semi-substantive post? [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm a gay man and a gay journalist"

Wait that is that radio dude! I can't recall his name but he is funny as shit. A few years back he did a bit about Kenny G signing a new contract and he acted like he was talking to a news guy in a helicopter covering the riot that was happening in LA about Kenny G making more records.

"Yes I think it is confirmed that Kenny G was used to torture people in Serbia. The UN has opened an invistgation." Later the idea of Kenny G making more records was so terrible he jumped out of the helicopter. He played the reporter and interviewed himself. Freakin' brilliant!

Quote Reply
Re: PETITION: Tom Demerly's knowledge-promoting posts should remain here. [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And he has admitted that he sells a tremendous amount of bike stuff as a result of his posts on this forum"

Sure, but he doesn't use the forum to sell stuff. That's my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did y'all notice he is always shorter than the women he posts pictures with himself?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhendric, I've pretty much decided to let this thread die. However, if you keep insisting that Tom hasn't tried "selling" stuff on the forum I'll take time from my day to go back through posts to find specific examples for you. For instance, offering to match a price to sell jackets, along with saying to mention Slowtwitch when they call, offering 20% off if you order 3 or more Spinervals from him, etc. I support your right to support Tom, but you're just plain wrong when you say he hasn't tried selling stuff on this forum. I'm almost positive even Tom would admit that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next