Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P5 hydraulic brakes - help
Quote | Reply
My P5 has sat unused for months. I have ridden it once since the end of last year. Dusted it down to use and the brakes (hydraulic Magura) are really soft. They have lost all their pressure.
I assume this means they need bleeding? How would this have happened would there likely be a leak or is this usual if left unused?
Is this usual if they havent been used for months or is there an issue?
I'll be taking it to the LBS but wanted t understand if this is usual?
Thanks
Last edited by: IMF: Jul 3, 20 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: P5 hydraulic brakes - help [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is your system?
Have you ever had the bleed them?

I would flush / bleed the system once a year.
If the hoses are more than a 3 years old I would replace them.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 hydraulic brakes - help [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks
The bike is 2 years old & no never bled them. I will get the LBS to sort it but wanted to know if this was common?
Is it easy to bleed them yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had those brakes for a couple of years and worked on many of them and they can loose responsiveness here and there.
Easy to bleed, first back out the adjustment screw to open up the pads *** careful not to back out all the way**

Fill syringe with royal blood
Attach fitting&. hose to lever with receiver >I use a water bottle
Remove fitting plug at caliper and push royal blood thru
Disconnect at caliper put the plug back in
Remove hose and receiver Put lever plug back in
** the plug at the lever is plastic T25 do not over tighten
Use lever adjustment screw to set pad width.
One thing I notice in just about all Magura RT is the rear is slightly less responsive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a 2012 P5 and never bled the brakes if I wasn't changing hoses during fit adjustments. I have heard of nightmares for others, but mine worked great as long as I cleaned sports drink and road grime off the calipers regularly.

Hopefully bleeding them will solve your issues. Clean the clalipers while your at it. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: P5 hydraulic brakes - help [dross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks.
I’ve been reading into it and checked YouTube. It looks pretty simple job to do. So will give it a go myself.
I also read somewhere to check for leaks which obviously I will do but I read that a common place for leaks is the olives. Have you found that? And where are the olives ? Calliper end or lever end?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olives are one each end of the hose. They are the part that clamps down on the hose as you tighten the compression nut into the fitting at the caliper and the lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dross wrote:
Olives are one each end of the hose. They are the part that clamps down on the hose as you tighten the compression nut into the fitting at the caliper and the lever.

As I remember well this is not correct: tell me if I'm wrong.
I think the olives are only at the caliper end: at the lever end there is this part you have to hammer into the hose in a bench vice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not totally unusual for these brakes. The way the hose attaches to the lever (barbed fitting) seems to create opportunities for very small amounts of air to enter the system or similarly, small amounts of mineral oil to leak out.

A quick fix in the moment might be to adjust the small screw in the middle of the brake lever (image here, just below text "You can also open the brake quick release, shown on the right (the red dot shows its point of origin):"). This would push as much of the remaining oil into the lines and temporarily improve braking.

Bleeding these brakes is fairly straight forward following these procedures (youtube link). You can use any brake mineral oil (doesn't need to be 'Royal Blood' ...and make sure it's not DOT fluid). Amazon sells reasonably priced bleed kits (the ones with the yellow EZmtb logos sold under different brands).
Quote Reply
Re: P5 hydraulic brakes - help [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all..The Magura bleed kit arrived today. It has come with a syringe and a bottle to collect the fluid. That bottle/container has a wire coming out the top, its like the end of a coat hanger with a small thread - whats that for?

Last edited by: IMF: Jul 8, 20 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMF wrote:
Hey all..The Magura bleed kit arrived today. It has come with a syringe and a bottle to collect the fluid. That bottle/container has a wire coming out the top, its like the end of a coat hanger with a small thread - whats that for?

It so you can hang at the lever to collect the fluid you push up from the caliper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
IMF wrote:

It so you can hang at the lever to collect the fluid you push up from the caliper.

Course....Thanks a lot.
Its obvious now I know :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help with this. What I thought was going to be a tricky job actually turned out pretty simple, quick & easy.
Those plastic EBT screws are a bit rubbish though. They seem really delicate and I'm sure they are easy to damage.
Why are they not metal screws? Is there a reason for that?

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: P5 hydraulic brakes - help [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be correct. Been a while since I pulled the brake levers out of the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dross wrote:
You may be correct. Been a while since I pulled the brake levers out of the bars.

I was referring to the small screw on top of the lever to attach the bleed kit to. Its plastic and very delicate. Just don't see why they made that plastic.
Any reason?
Quote Reply