Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 water botle options
Quote | Reply
Just got my new P3SL. Took me years to step up to that kind of $$ on a bike, but now that I have one, I want to do it right.

What are others doing for water bottles? With only one mount and lots of long training and racing rides in front of me, I need a lot more than one bottle. I am thinking profile (or jetstream... and opinions on which is better) aero bottle between the aero bars, and possibly something behind the seat. I know nothing about how behind the seat works, who makes them, which are best, so please share your experiences. Mount high or low?? Aero trade-offs?? How do I avoid bounce out?? where do you store spare tubular/tubes/CO2?? any other help?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 water botle options [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a P3 also, and I have a hard time justifying slapping a water bottle right on top of streamlined tubing that I just paid thousands for and disrupting all of that smooth airflow :) . On that principle alone, I mount my water bottles behind the seat. The mounting assembly to which you attach the bottle cages is large enough to tape on tubes and cartridges. If I wasn't at work I'd find the name of it for you.

You will read of riders swaying all over the road trying to put water bottles back in the rear mounted cages....I found that training with them in this configuration made me pretty proficient. They can eject back there so it's best to have a sturdy bottle cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an X-Lab behind-the-seat mount with the cheapie Profile Design cages (which seem to work reasonably well to hold the bottles on bumpy roads). I then have a velcro strap that holds my spare tire and pump in place between the two bottles. I think the conventional wisdom is that you mount it low to be more aerodynamic. With the P3's aero seat post you'll probably need something like the X-Lab, which attaches to the seat instead of the post, for behind the seat mounting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my new P3, I have the X-Lab Flat Wing, which mounts on the seat rails and has a couple of add-ons that hold the CO2 inflator and the cartridges as well as a couple of velcro straps that hold my tool kit and a spare tube.

For races, I plan on using my Profile Design aero bottle, which is a hold-over from my roadbike with clip-ons. I haven't tried to mount it yet and I'm not sure if I'll need the mount or it'll fit w/o it.

I agree though, I think it's plain ugly to have a water bottle mounted on that lovely aero tubing.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Minoura behind the seat holder. It's 12 bucks, simple and well made. I have profile cages which are also cheap and light and do a pretty good job holding bottles (though I did loose one on a speed bump on the St Croix course).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's only one way to go with your P3: campy biodinamica

http://www.ridecampy.com/38/456.htm?846

-- Jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jobo. Good question. I own a P3 and I use the XLab Flatwing Deluxe Kit . I find it to be better than the XLab Saddlewing because the bottles sit lower thereby making it easier to mount your bike at T1 and dismount at T2 without the bottles getting in the way of your leg if you can envision what I am talking about.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Water bottle options [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the posts. I think I like the flatwing thus far as a good choice, but am concerned by the article on this site that says behind the saddle bottles, either hi or low, are aerodynamically worse than other choices. See http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tr/waterbottles.html

For those using behind the saddle bottles, what do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Water bottle options [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a minoura rear rack on my P3 and have never launched a bottle. If you're racing an IM, you're not likely to have more than one bottle on board at a time anyway unless you're using your own drink mix. I have the rear cage as storage only and actively drink from the down tube cage. If I'm feeling sick, I may have one bottle of water and one gatorade. Nutrition and comfort are far more important in my mind than a few aero seconds. Just my $0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Water bottle options [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I read the chart in that article correctly behind the seat high bottles is still more aero than 2 bottles in the frame.

It's only less aero if you only have one bottle in the frame.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Water bottle options [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best water bottle cages I have found to use on the rear carrier is Specialized Rib Cages. They have a bend at the top of the cage that really grips the bottle and a rubberband around the cage. I haven't lost any bottles using these cages. For the rear I use a Profile Aqua Rack. I like it.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I am using this year:

http://www.trisports.com/rehysy.html

This bottle works well for my long distance hydration & gel race strategy. I am going to put a diluted gel in the 23oz chamber and water in the 27oz chamber. Then I will use the one frame bottle cage as my aid station reserve; grab a bottle at the station and keep on trucking only to add to the aero bottle at my leisure. I can then replace the empty bottle to the frame cage and exchange at next station. This gives you the added aero benefit of one frame bottle that Cobb notes, and at the same time avoids tacking on drag to the seat post area with bottle holders, never reach etc. I usually like to fill up during climbs or other slow areas. I like drinking out of a straw right in front of me rather than reaching for a bottle which is sometimes hard to do depending on the situation, I know I end up drinking more from a straw than a bottle

For the long training rides rather than loading up a rear cage holder I like to pack 2 or sometimes 3 bottles with mostly ice and a little water into my jersey pockets. So there you have about 60oz and a free cooling system in addition to 50oz in an aero bottle and 20oz in the frame cage for a grand total of 130oz.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 water botle options [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yab--Why go so small when other viable options are available?

Quote Reply
Re: P3 water botle options [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kind of a weight-weenie but I prefer to keep it light on those long rides.

Here is a picture of me and my long, long, ride hydration system.

Quote Reply
Re: Water bottle options [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the same cages with a X-Lab Saddlewing. Haven't lost a bottle yet. I actually prefer the bottles behind the seat, I find them easier to reach than in the frame.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 water botle options [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:0 Nice ass!
Quote Reply
Re: P3 water botle options [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]There's only one way to go with your P3: campy biodinamica [/reply]

D-A-M-N - I had no idea people still sold those! Sweet!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply