Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 vs TREK vs C'dale
Quote | Reply
I am considering purchasing a Cervelo P3, TREK time trial, or C'dale 5000. I did my first ironman last year on my 13-year-old C'dale (with aero bars and rolf vector pros) and had a great time. I'm looking for a bike for triathlons and some fast training on the Big Island. I plan to use my old C'dale for the majority of my training miles.

I am 5'10", weigh 145# and prefer 700 wheels (I think..) I'm looking for a fast bike for Oylmpic, 1/2 im, and im distances. Any new bike will probably feel more comfortable than my current ride. Local shops sell all 3 brands. I'm new to triathlon and bikes, so any help is appreciated.

thanks - chester, volcano, HI
Quote Reply
Re: P3 vs TREK vs C'dale [chester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: P3 vs TREK vs C'dale [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cervelo P3, TREK time trial, or C'dale 5000"

It doesn't get much better than this. These are all very high end tri bikes. You can't go wrong with either.

What you should do is have a good side by side look at all of them. Fit is the most important thing, but I'm sure any of these bikes come in a good fit for you. Tough choice, but I envy you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be interesting to see what the folks on the board have to say about the bikes. I don't ride any of the three. I've been on Kestrels for the last few years and I have a Javelin Aero on the way. BUT, here goes.

The P3's are definitely nice bikes, and I'm sure that you will get quite a few votes from the people here. There are an awful lot of cervelo riders that lurk on slowtwitch. You probably can't go wrong with this one if the front end is not too low for you.

The Cannondale's also look great. I think that Tom Demerly gave the 5000 a superb review. With the Cannondale though, consider the use of their SI Crankset and BB. I doubt that it will fail, but in the event that it does, you or your dealer will be dealing with Cannondale instead of Shimano. I believe that the bottom bracket shell is a non standard diameter, so there aren't any aftermarket choices that I am aware of that will fit. Just something to consider.

Given the three choices that you listed, I'd probably go with the Trek TT if it fits. The only fit 'issues' that might surface with the trek is the top tube length as I think that it only has one length and the seat tube angle--it's the shallowest of the three that you have selected. I only say that it'd be my choice because it's carbon and I've been on carbon for the last few years. Seatpost selection will be somewhat limited since it uses a 25.0 post, but I think that Thomson makes one specifially for the Trek (not on their website), USE makes a very nice 25.0 aluminum post and a carbon post, and a European company called Selcof makes an aluminum post with a lot of range in 25.0.

Nah, I changed my mind. I think that I'd go with the Cannondale, but I would get the one that is a step down from the 5000--the 2000 maybe. That way you could make some component upgrades if the shop would allow, and you'd have a bike with all standard components.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definately think carefully before committing to the trek... the trek only comes in 3 sizes and may or may not fit very well... (very cool though) the other thing is that unlike the other 2 bikes, my understanding is that it is a much shallower angled bike... this would effect how it fits, feels, etc. so apples to apples I would compare the P3 to the 'Dale or the orange would be the trek...

I would pare it doen to those choices first apple or orange?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a P3 owner for three years now, and I love it. I know nothing about the Cannondale.

Be very careful about the Trek. My understanding is that the available sizes are very limited and that this bike won't fit most people. I have no idea if you would be one of the ones that it would fit. I seem to remember looking at it and concluding that I was no where near big enough. I am 5' 8". It has a relatively shallow seat angle which wouldn't work for me, but it might for you. It is a beautiful bike though. Trek carbon rocks. I would use it if I could. I have one of their OCLV road bikes and I love it.

The P3 comes in many sizes so fit won't be a problem. It is hard to go wrong with this bike if you are fit properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were ME buying the bike for what I'd use it for then I'd throw out the Trek. SWEET bike, but I doubt it would fit me (I'm 6'4") and I want a much steeper seat tube angle.

Now, the P3 and the C'Dale 5000. In-ter-esting. We all know that the P3 is a kick-ass bike. I think it's fantastic and even like the color. I prefer to ride in the 76-77 degree range and I can certainly get there with the P3. My only gripe with the P3 (and these are ridiculous) are the spec of the brake calipers and levers, and the fact that where I live these bikes are relatively common.

I think the Cannondale is a very interesting offering. I like the 77 degree seat tube angle, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the crankset (although it's supposed to be really nice), and am certain I don't like the Profile Design aerobars. (Interested to see the Tektro levers)

I think the top tube on the C'Dale may be a hair too short for me. I also like the shorter chainstays of the P3. It's sort of irrelevent, but I also like the internal cable routing of the P3. I'm not a fan of running the bare brake cable along the top tube with the little rubber cusion thingys on it like C'Dale does. No doubt both are sweet rides, but I think I'd go with the Cervelo. Funny too, 'cause when I started writing this I thought I'd go with the C'Dale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I want to know is how you got the Rolf Vector Pros on your 13 year-old Cannondale...

Don't you have narrow rear spacing or are you on a 8spd cassette?

I ask, only because I have an old C'dale myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chester

Take each of the bikes for a test ride and buy the one that feels best for you.

It doesn't matter who else rides a particular model or how aerodynamic that bike is according to test data, if it doesn't fit you and you are not comfortable on it, its the wrong bike for you.

And don't think that a few minutes is an adequate test ride. And if the bike shop won't let you take it for a decent test ride - go somewhere else.

After you have ridden each bike, you will know which bike suits you best.

Roy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am considering purchasing a Cervelo P3, TREK time trial, or C'dale 5000. I did my first ironman last year on my 13-year-old C'dale (with aero bars and rolf vector pros) and had a great time. I'm looking for a bike for triathlons and some fast training on the Big Island. I plan to use my old C'dale for the majority of my training miles.

thanks - chester, volcano, HI

Hi,

I have the new Trek ttt. This bike is fantastic. I'm absolutely satisfied with it. Although its not a "real" triathlon bike according to Dan's geometry preferences I plan to race a lot of Triathlon races on it. I also have a Cannondale MS 2000 made of aluminium. Most people say there is no difference in ride characteristics between a good alu bike and a good carbon bike - I disagree here - there is a big difference! I LOVE to ride on carbon now.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Mar 13, 03 0:46
Quote Reply
Re: P3 vs TREK vs C'dale [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough choice. All Good comments. One more thing to consider is that the Trek won't fit as easily in a bike travel case. That would be a very large issue for me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone for the very helpful comments.

One big problem I have is that the local shops don't have any of these models in stock in my size (54-56cm or M). Limited selection on the Big Island. I may have to go to Oahu. I'm trying to find people who have these bikes and would let me test ride them. I've read some articles about bike fit, and it seems a little complicated. Are there any simple indicators for a newbie to tell if a bike "fits" during a test ride? I thought that you basically buy a bike, and adjust the fit with seatpost/saddle adjustments, the right stem, and aerobar set-up...

Someone asked about Rolf Vector Pros on my old C'dale - I do have an 8 spd cassette, and I have to forcibly spread the rear dropouts a little to insert the wheel, which then sits a little skewed - probably not the ideal set-up.

Again, I'm in my second year in the sport, and looking for a bike primarily for Keauhou and ironman HI. Last year I rode a 5:30, so I don't know what level bike I need. The C'dale 2000 is starting to look like a good choice.

Thanks again, Chester
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit is everything and the Cervelo has them all beat in terms of custom fitting. Any of these bikes would make a fantastic ride of course...as long as it fits. You might think hard about the 650 vs 700 issue. At 6' and 165lbs (racing weight that is :) I needed to go 700's. At your height and weight you should consider 650s. Make sure, what ever you do that you buy from someone who really knows what they are doing. They'll advise you which wheel size to go with.
Quote Reply