Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 road bike?
Quote | Reply
Ok I finish a ride on my P3 and spend some time looking at it. Other then the need for some more spacers or a raised stem what is the down side to a road position on the P3? Who has tried it? Why did Tom have the man who wanted him to set a P3 up in a road position stoned?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [Jonathan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head, it would probably be too big (you'd increase the effective length of the top tube by trying to get a non-steep seat tube angle), it would handle like shit, and it would look silly.

What wrong with it in its current setup? Is there some problem that you can fix by being fit better?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems for me. Just wondering. It would look goofy though.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not that goofy (p3's and p2's have almost the same geometries):

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen it done with P2K's and wondered "why" since they could have bought a Soloist. The advantage with the Soloist is that the head tube is a bit longer so you wouldn't need a bunch of spacers to get a proper road bike ifit.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to answer, even in 'rear position' the p2 has a more forward seat tube than the soloist. and p2 is more designed for tt/tri racing with rear wheel tucked into seat tube cut-out--soloist has none. and i now use only one 5 mm spacer.

Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg,

When you die, you will forever burn in Slowtwitch HELL! ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a tri bike with drop bars on it (odd, but not unusual). Now, push the saddle back as far as it'll go (puts you at about 75 degrees of seat tube) and raise your handlebars about 10 cm and you almost have a *road* bike. Silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"even in 'rear position' the p2 has a more forward seat tube than the soloist. "

So why would you want a more forward seat tube in a road bike configuration? This makes little sense if you're using the P2K/P3 as a road bike in road racing, climbing or group riding. The Soloist will be a better bike for this. Much better balanced since this is what it's designed for.

Also have a look on the Cervelo website for the geometries. For example a 54 cm P2K/P3 frame has a 12 cm head tube but a 54 cm Soloist has a 14 cm head tube. So for a normal saddle to bar drop difference in a typical road bike position, you'll have to use 2 cm of spacers on the P2K/P3 not necessary with a Soloist.

If you're using the P2K/P3 in a steep position with drop bars this makes even less sense. The reach to the drop bars is much greater assuming you're riding low in the front and becomes very awkward unless you've got unusual flexibility. That's why the base bars for tri bikes are flat rather than slanted down.

There are problems trying to convert a road bike to a tri bike, but they're even worse trying to convert a tri bike into a road bike. It's doable but not optimal in either case.

Read Slowman's article about seat angle and bar drop.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/basebar.html
Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you're right, but the bike (with me pushing the pedals) still goes pretty damn fast: up hills, down hills, and on the flats. "Rules" are meant to be broken.

And my fiance is set up on her P2 with an almost identical set-up and she has won (female overall) more races than she can count. So this can work quite fine.

Quote Reply
Re: P3 road bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why would you want a more forward seat tube in a road bike configuration? This makes little sense if you're using the P2K/P3 as a road bike in road racing, climbing or group riding.

--I don't. I use it for tri racing. A slightly more forward seat tube opens up the hip angle which helps power generation while low and aero.

So for a normal saddle to bar drop difference in a typical road bike position, you'll have to use 2 cm of spacers on the P2K/P3 not necessary with a Soloist.

--I don't think I am using a "normal" saddle to bar drop.

The reach to the drop bars is much greater assuming you're riding low in the front and becomes very awkward unless you've got unusual flexibility.

--I guess I must have unusual flexibility.

There are problems trying to convert a road bike to a tri bike, but they're even worse trying to convert a tri bike into a road bike. It's doable but not optimal in either case.

--I am not 'converting' a tri bike into a road bike, I am riding a tri bike with drop bars and special aerobars to make it handle better on technical courses. It may not be optimal in your opinion, but I can still do pretty damn well in races.

Read Slowman's article about seat angle and bar drop.

--I did, but he makes assumptions (not based on factual data, but based on his opinion) which I disagree with.

Quote Reply