Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 cabling
Quote | Reply
I've nearly completed building up the new P3-SL, but there's a little cable foo I haven't figured out:

* The little cable guide that goes on the bottom of the BB doesn't seem long enough. The FD cable still rubs across the frame where it enters the seat tube. It doesn't seem to matter which guide I run it through. Am I doing something wrong here, or is it normal to have the cable rub the frame there? Which guide should you run the respective cables through?

* Which side of the steerer do you route the rear brake cable? With my head bars, it actually looks like it's cleanest on the right side of the steerer (i.e. over the top tube)

thanks in advance for any help

Jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: P3 cabling [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up putting some carpet tape just inside the seat tube to cover the spot where the cable rubs the frame. The carpet tape is really slippery and fiberglass-reinforced, so it will hopefully last a while. Surely there's a better solution?

-jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jens,

How does your look in comparison to this?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: P3 cabling [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Tom:

Mine looks pretty close to that. From the picture, it looks like the cable on the right hand side (the FD cable) is rubbing on the seat tube too, just a little ways past the cable guide.

--Jens

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, this is my bike. I am getting excellent front derailleur shifting. Every bit as good or better than an externally routed cable configuration.

How is your shift quality?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have any issues with where the cable exits the seat tube right beneath the FD? I noticed it was rubbing there too - there seemed like there ought to be a little bushing there or something, but its just the cable rubbing right on the lip of that channel - and right on the paint. My LBS fixed it by putting short length of plastic tubing around it to act as a sheath. Seemed to work fine on the road. So I emailed Cervelo with this solution and they responded that a) I really had nothing to worry about to begin with and b) the tubing "fix" was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 cabling [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. It does rub there too. I was thinking about doing the same thing with some kind of tubing. It seems like the hole needs to be angled a little differently.

-Jens

Quote Reply
Re: P3 cabling [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, this is my bike. I am getting excellent front derailleur shifting. Every bit as good or better than an externally routed cable configuration.

How is your shift quality?

Tom: the shift quality for the front is way better than it was on the Aegis T2, but not as good as the road bike (tough comparison because it uses a downtube shifter for the FD). The lever's a little harder to push than I'd like, but it's acceptable, particularly since I use the FD about 0-1 times per time trial.

--J

Quote Reply