Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical?
Quote | Reply
Just got some Powertap P1 pedals. Did a couple of rides, and everything seemed fine but they did seem slower to "wake up", meaning, seems like I have to pedal around for a bit before my 735xt watch will pick them up. Anyway, rode last night and nothing, no power readings at all. Had a green light on the right pedal but nothing on the left. Checked the left pedal battery and voltage was fine, and when I put the battery back in, all was well, it started working again. Almost like I had to pull the battery to reset it or something. Anyway, is this typical? I am still in my return window so I am trying to decide if these need to be returned. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they lithium batteries? I had problems with alkaline batteries on my P1s.

I'm using mine with a Fenix 5 and haven't ironed out the nuances yet.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still using the lithium batteries that came with the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the batteries that came in the box but had issues so I replaced them with whatever I had lying around. Then I still had problems. So I went and bought new lithium batteries and it got better.

I did have a connection drop after 1 hour 40 min on Saturday but I don't know why. When I was in the trainer yesterday (same batteries) it did fine for 60 minutes.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have about 4K miles on my P1 pedals. Once, I had a battery die prematurely, after like one or two uses after replacement. Other than that, they have been flawless. I do not keep track, but I think I am on my forth set of batteries, not including the premature failure set.

Mine connect to my Garmin 520 almost immediately. I do not use my 735XT all that often with the bike, so I am not sure how quickly they connect. The 735 does not connect as fast as the 520, though.

I would replace both batteries just to eliminate that from the equation. If they are not lithium, put replace them with lithium. Then watch for another occurrence of the fault. If it occurs again with new lithium batteries during the return window, return the pedals for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to follow upon this and thank you for your help, I changed the batteries to new lithium batteries, and used a torque wrench to tighten the battery caps to the recommended torque. Since then, no more problems. And the pedals just do take longer to connect to the 735xt, because I used them with a 910 and they connected much faster. Anyway, everything seems good now so thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a related note, I'm having trouble with my P1 dual sided as well. No problems until yesterday. Power reading dropped out completely and now it won't sync. Left pedal is blinking red.

I did a firmware update, and I called customer service. They are suggesting I send them in, but wanted to see if anyone on here has a quick fix.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [powerj33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the same issue with my r/h p1 pedal as well. Corrected itself after 4 days (and changing everythikng I could think of). Worked fione for weeks and then went agin and have been faulty for 4 weeks now.
Once my race this weekend is over I am returning them to the supplier under warranty for review.
Luckily it is the r/h pedal that is faulty so I still get the readings etc.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 1st ever issue with these dropping out on a ride this week. Called Customer service and they think it could be the battery covers as they changed the design since the earlier ones i have on mine. They are sending me new ones.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there something crazy going on, I as well had my P1 have a drop out this week, changed the battery, calibration on the 520 is now showing 718 ( always been 5 or 6) removed it and re paired it with the 520, Same calibration of 718 now showing power readings of 30-40% FTP when riding, each pedal has a single blink green which is both paired...
Racing a sprint tomorrow, glad it's only a 20km bike. Maybe it will correct itself over night!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
I had a 1st ever issue with these dropping out on a ride this week. Called Customer service and they think it could be the battery covers as they changed the design since the earlier ones i have on mine. They are sending me new ones.

Interesting....wonder if I can get them to send me a new set of caps. Mine drops once and awhile.

I always get an error on my garmin saying right pedal not connected but then it starts working magically on it's own.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine went out as well last weekend. Worked fine on Thursday. On Saturday, went to do a practice ride the day before a race and they were dead. Tried swapping out the batteries with some loaners and they woke up for a few minutes and then died again. Bought lithiums (which I always use except in dire circumstances) and put them in race morning. Again, the left one would wake up for a few minutes and then die. Ended up having to race with no PM.

Called Powertap on monday and they sent me new new new caps because it's aaaaaaaaaaaalways the caps. I already had V2 caps by the way. Now the pedals work again.

Powertap support has always been incredible to me every time I call. That's one thing I can't complain about. However, I've lost all confidence in the pedals working when I need them to.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been having sporadic issues with the right pedal not found in the middle of the ride. I am pretty certain that it is due to some sort of interference that hinders communication between the master (left) and the slave (right). I just cannot quite track down the root cause but seems to get worse around the densely populated areas.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:

Called Powertap on monday and they sent me new new new caps because it's aaaaaaaaaaaalways the caps. I already had V2 caps by the way. Now the pedals work again.

I think i have to agree here. there answer doesn't make sense in my case. if i was losing power, it wouldn't be the caps, the pedals would lose thier connection with the garmin, right? thats not happening. Before yesterday's 2.5 hr ride, I pulled the batteries & reinstalled. Unit worked fine. Old caps, go figure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who have been having issues, what head unit are you using?

I'll add my issues to the list as well. I've had the pedals for about a year and put a few thousand miles on them without any problems. But a few weeks ago I was racing CDA 70.3 and about an hour into the bike leg the power reading were blank. I navigated the Garmin Edge 810 menu and searched for power meters and was able to get them to reconnect. For about 5-10 minutes and then the signal dropped again. I then tried a few more times to search with no luck and then gave up. They wen't back to working completely fine again the next day for all of the rides since. Up until Thursday when I lost the signal 2 hours into a 5 hour ride. I stopped the bike and tried to search for the pedals with the Garmin (nothing), then I decided to look for them via the power tap app (found just the right one). So I unscrewed the battery cover for the left pedal, took the battery out for a second and then reinstalled it. Voila, both pedals could be found by both the app and Garmin. Then about 20 minutes later I lost the signal again. Tried searching with Garmin (nothing), then tried with the power tap app and both seen. For what it's worth when the Garmin lost the pedal signal the second time, it also started to have issues linking to my phone. It would link/unlink every 10 second (which meant I got an annoying beep and message from the Garmin every 10 seconds).

My pedal software is up to date as is the Edge 810. The battery covers are the new version (and also just a couple months old as I had replaced the old ones which were getting stripped) and I'm using lithium batteries which still have life in them.

Anyway, prior to this issue I was contemplating getting a Wahoo Bolt, so this might push me over the edge if the issue could be related to the garmin head unit.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I was going to try if my problems had continued, was to connect the pedals via Bluetooth instead of Ant+ (using my phone and a phone app, Strava or whatever) to see if the problems are specific to Ant+ and/or the Garmin. Might be worth a try. If you try it, report back with what you find out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
But a few weeks ago I was racing CDA 70.3 and about an hour into the bike leg the power reading were blank.

they seem to know when you need them most so they decide to go on vacation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
For those who have been having issues, what head unit are you using?

I'll add my issues to the list as well. I've had the pedals for about a year and put a few thousand miles on them without any problems. But a few weeks ago I was racing CDA 70.3 and about an hour into the bike leg the power reading were blank. I navigated the Garmin Edge 810 menu and searched for power meters and was able to get them to reconnect. For about 5-10 minutes and then the signal dropped again. I then tried a few more times to search with no luck and then gave up. They wen't back to working completely fine again the next day for all of the rides since. Up until Thursday when I lost the signal 2 hours into a 5 hour ride. I stopped the bike and tried to search for the pedals with the Garmin (nothing), then I decided to look for them via the power tap app (found just the right one). So I unscrewed the battery cover for the left pedal, took the battery out for a second and then reinstalled it. Voila, both pedals could be found by both the app and Garmin. Then about 20 minutes later I lost the signal again. Tried searching with Garmin (nothing), then tried with the power tap app and both seen. For what it's worth when the Garmin lost the pedal signal the second time, it also started to have issues linking to my phone. It would link/unlink every 10 second (which meant I got an annoying beep and message from the Garmin every 10 seconds).

My pedal software is up to date as is the Edge 810. The battery covers are the new version (and also just a couple months old as I had replaced the old ones which were getting stripped) and I'm using lithium batteries which still have life in them.

Anyway, prior to this issue I was contemplating getting a Wahoo Bolt, so this might push me over the edge if the issue could be related to the garmin head unit.

I'm using a Garmin 510.

Like a previous poster I wonder if it's something with ANT+ vs BT? I've had mine almost a year and a half and for the most part been happy with them, but for the price they shouldn't have any issues dropping and anyone that owns them not feel confident they are going to work every ride.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [powerj33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powerj33 wrote:
On a related note, I'm having trouble with my P1 dual sided as well. No problems until yesterday. Power reading dropped out completely and now it won't sync. Left pedal is blinking red.

I did a firmware update, and I called customer service. They are suggesting I send them in, but wanted to see if anyone on here has a quick fix.

Red light means send back. I sent a pair back and had a brand new pair in a couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only used a 520 head unit, have had zero issues up until this week, tried it with the 920, still no dice, will call tomorrow and see what they say, I'm assuming I'll be getting some new caps!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK just a note for my P1 friends, and maybe everyone already knew this, but there is a new P1 firmware update available as of July 17, 2017. You can also update the firmware with an Android phone using the Virtual Training software if you do not have an iPhone. And finally, the issue I was having with the P1 pedals taking a while to connect to the Garmin Forerunner 735xt, I have narrowed this down to when I am using the Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap. If I don't use the strap, the pedals connect immediately. If I use the strap it may take up to a few minutes for the pedals to connect. I have no idea why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the firmware just for the powertap p1S pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [AdamL2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's for both P1 and P1S but if you have the P1 you have to update both the right and left pedals individually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that but it says the update only fixes bugs with the P1S pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 pedals - had to pull battery. Typical? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar issues until I experimented with turning Bluetooth off on my Garmin and on my phone (in back pocket while riding) - the pedals can communicate to the Garmin via Bluetooth or ANT - but I understand that the two pedals (master and slave) talk to each other only by Bluetooth - it seems that maybe having the pedals talk to each other, plus the master pedal talking to the Garmin and the Garmin connecting to the phone was maybe all a bit too much Bluetooth chit chat for the poor pedals to cope with - I can't see any clear info on the PowerTap site whether to use ANT or Bluetooth between Garmin and pedals - but for me anyway ANT only seems way better - these actions seem to have improved significantly the reliability and reduced the drop outs, maybe a coincidence, or maybe fact who knows, but I will stick with this fix for as long as it makes a difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next