Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overuse Injuries....
Quote | Reply
How long does it take for over use or biomechanic injuries to appear...

Ex. I started running in November of 2002, since then I estimate that I have run close to if not just over 2000 miles. I'm a heavy runner at 180-190 pounds. It took me 6 months and 5 different pairs of shoes to find my current Pearl Izumi Vital+, which I have been running in for the past 18 months. 5 weeks ago, as I was ramping up for the Philedelphia Marathon, I ended up with a nueroma and now left with some sort of metatarsalga. Is this a shoe issue, insert issue or just a plain simple overuse injury which could have been prevented by just ending my season after my "A" race instead of tacking on an end of season marathon. (I'll mention I have never run in a marathon. Yet...)
Last edited by: TargetGoingLong: Nov 9, 04 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Overuse Injuries.... [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How often are you replacing your shoes?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Overuse Injuries.... [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gone through 5 pairs of Pearls in the last 1500 miles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've given your weight but not your height. Most running injuries appear about 3 to 6 months into training. At that point the muscles are stronger but the bones and tendons are not yet fully adapted. I would suggest that you see a physician.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a huge question with no single answer. It is different for everyone depending on their biomechanics and mechanics (shoes, bike, etc.).

Some people enter the sport and immediately have biomechanically induced overuse injuries. Running even 10 miles a week constitutes "overuse" for them due to a predisposition to biomechnical problems due to skeletal or connective tissue problems.

Other people go years without injury.

Depends on how you're built.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some ball of the foot pain that I ran through over the summer and was also planning on running the Philadelphia marathon. Eventually the pain got so bad I could barely walk and went to the doc and learned I had stress fractures in both feet. Sucks. It has been a little over a month and while the fractures are healing, I still have pain. Probably another month before I start running again.

Go to the doc and get it checked out before you are like me and end up on the sidelines for a few months.
Quote Reply