Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overtrained? What do you think?
Quote | Reply
So it's my second season of tris. I did three this season- two olys and one 1/2 IM, which was my A race for the year. I suck at running so I spend a boatload of time building base for it- like 6 months of two short runs and one long on the weekends all zone 2. BUT, I find myself getting incrementally slower by the month as I do the base work. Historically I could run a 6.2 mile race at 8:27 pace, but when the 1/2 IM comes around, I'm killing myself to run a 6.2 mile run at 9:40 pace and end up at 10:30 pace for the 13.1 mile 1/2 IM.

Fast forward. I planned to get two more races in after my 1/2 IM, but bath time for the kids comes along and I accidentily kick the tub like I'm kicking a 60 yard field goal, which turns my left middle toe black in 3 minutes. Broken, yes. So I hobble around like a peg-legged pirate gruning "arrr" every time I put weight on it for 4 weeks and miss my planned races.

Yesterday I decide to give it a try to see how it feels on my first real run since the 1/2 IM (6 weeks). Easily I crank out 4 miles at an 8:00 pace. Could have run further but I didn't want to wake up to another black toe.

So the question is, was I overtrained for the run? Seems like a month off the legs surely helped the speed. Thoughts? Base too long, not enough speedwork...?
Quote Reply
Re: Overtrained? What do you think? [XXX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Base" too long - a good base is important, but if you run real slow for a long time, you will run real slow for a short time during a race.

You likely "refreshed" your legs and forget the slow pace muscle imprint from all that "base" training. You need some interval speed work to keep the pace imprint. I find it helps to train in one shoe (say a neutral, heavy trainer), then race in a flat. The 6 ounces won't physically make a diff - but the mental feeling will bring back the speed. Doesn't do any good to have that great base unless you can tap into it. Good to make sure you finish, but not so good for speed. The real trick is having both like the pros do at IM distance - amazing.

Quote | Reply
I would suggest decreasing the distance per run but increasing your run frequency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there are a number of factors that can come into play as to the speed of you HIM run. For instance, What was your bike volume leading up to and during the base/build/taper periods, did you do any long bricks during training to see what type of pace you could hold coming off the bike with tired legs, what type of pacing did you do for the bike, what was your nutrition like for the race, what type of taper and how long was it. There are probably a number of other factors that could come into play, I would not worry about the overtraining aspect of it, but rather the whole training/racing picture. I bring up a lot of these points as I have made a number of these mistakes in the past and have rectified them through trial and error. Maybe one consideration would be a coach. Since I am a coach, I am probably biased in this direction, but there are a number of training/racing pitfalls that a good coach can help anyone with. There is also a fair amount of info both on this forum and in books like "Going Long" that could help to steer you in the right direction. I think the main thing to consider is that running on fresh legs and running during a HIM after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56 miles will give you dramatically different times to start with. Give it another go, I have learned to really like the HIM distance, and I think you may too.

Chris Hurrell

Chris Hurrell
http://www.thecompletetriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Overtrained? What do you think? [tridude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are a number of external factors. I have been considering a coach, but I'm more of a recreational triathlete rather than a kona qualifier. Just today I purchased 'Going Long' and I'll see where it goes from there. Nutrition was based soley upon Gordo's tips for pacing and nutrition on his site. I will admit I did not practice the nutriton like I should have. I did several bricks of 40/6.2 and 24.9/6.2 and the pace was slowing as I indicated earlier.

Bike prep was extensive for the HIM. I was more diligent about the biking than anything. I biked the 56 miles at low zone 2 for the first 1/2 hour, then middle to high zone 2 for the next 1.5 hours and then low zone 3 for the last 1/2 hour. Average speed was 18.7 miles per hour given that I knew I needed to save the legs for the run. I had never run over 10 miles up to that point at one time.

Good point about setting expecations on fresh vs. 57.2 miles in.

I cursed myself for doing the HIM half way through the run, but as soon as I finished, I couldn't wait to sign up again. Funny how that works.

Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] Average speed was 18.7 miles per hour given that I knew I needed to save the legs for the run. I had never run over 10 miles up to that point at one time.

Good point about setting expecations on fresh vs. 57.2 miles in. [/reply]

Nutrition and hydration play an enormous role in your run speed, trust me I know first hand. If you get off the bike slightly sunburnt, 2-3# dehydrated and without sufficient glycogen/calcium/potassium/salt reserves then you'll end up doing a 10 minute pace regardless of how fast you can normally run. I can run 13.1 fresh at an 8:00 pace, but if I come off the bike a little screwed up then it's 10:00 or 10:30 with everyone passing me. Care in nutrition and water will make or break your race.

OTOH the other point someone made of running lots of distance at a set somewhat slow pace will guarantee that you'll continue to run a somewhat slow pace. Intervals will help, so will doing a bunch of pretty fast 5k runs. I like to do a 5k at a 7:00 pace, take a couple of minutes to stretch, and then run an 8-9 pace 5k as a "cool-down." If you do searches here for "improving run speed" or similar things you'll find tons of threads on this.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Overtrained? What do you think? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my secret to succssful training is an active sex life during the training season. so, let's say i do about 5 hours in the saddle on sat. morning, get off then do a 45 min. run. i roll into the house and my pussy boyfriend is still in bed. so i rouse him, throw on my HR monitor and get blastin. it really works.
Quote Reply
Re: Overtrained? What do you think? [kdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All these posts in one day.....................Tibbs............Who are you.? Many differrent threads and trolling..
Quote Reply
Re: Overtrained? What do you think? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, no not Mr. Tibbs. i just found this site and i love it and can't get enough. i am just sad that other people don't seem to be interacting with me-i'm not trying to be too much of an asshole, just livening up the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have been considering a coach, but I'm more of a recreational triathlete rather than a kona qualifier."

For most coaching services this won't matter. There's nothing wrong with going the book route, but if you are serious about improving and are truly willing to put in the time and extend yourself, then a good coach is worth his or her weight in gold.
Quote Reply