Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oval 981 - Is this a good deal
Quote | Reply
My LBS has an Oval 981 ccarbon clincher wheelset on sale for $700. I think MSRP is something like $1200. Is anyone familiar with them and could tell me if this is a good deal.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval 981 - Is this a good deal [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
My LBS has an Oval 981 ccarbon clincher wheelset on sale for $700. I think MSRP is something like $1200. Is anyone familiar with them and could tell me if this is a good deal.
Thanks.

I think they're a NZ brand? They are pretty popular here in Australia, I have 945s on my road bike and they're great. $700 sounds like a bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted in the IA thread... I'm in a similar situation...My LBS is offering me Oval 985's or 950's for $700 with the bike. I can't find much info on Oval Wheels online so I don't know if this is a good deal or not...
Last edited by: stew560: Feb 17, 19 20:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oval is the house brand of Fuji bikes, they recently went bankrupt so that's probably why they are on sale. I don't have direct experience but remember reading once that the rims are from Reynolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As noted by the previous poster Oval is owned by the same company who owns Fuji which recently went bankrupt. So no warrantee or future support and they need to dump stock hence the drop in price. A significant part of the cost of new wheels is in post-purchase support so a fairer comparison is with used wheels and $700 is good not great in this realm.
Quote Reply
Re: Oval 981 - Is this a good deal [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
So no warrantee or future support and they need to dump stock hence the drop in price.

There might be some chance that ends up being true, but I wouldn't state it as fact. In their bankruptcy statement ASE specifically called out the Fuji brand as one with steady sales that would continue operating through and after bankruptcy. Whether that includes Oval, I don't know. But it seems likely that whoever ends up owning Fuji will end up carrying it on, and that's likely to include honoring warranties, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few years ago I replaced the Oval equivalents to Flo 30's. The ride quality (same tires/pressure) was immediately noticeable. Oval, IMO, is a "eh" brand.

And I second the possibility of lack of warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
Thanks.

I have a lower level Oval wheelset and they run fine. Prefer them over another popular brand for training purposes. The other brand seems more sensitive/twitchy handling wise.

Since I have four sets of wheels in case one goes bad and none of them have gone bad, I wouldn't worry about warranty. The right price makes it all worthwhile.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply