Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outstanding people...
Quote | Reply
Today I was doing a 5k run along the Rio Grande, it was a nice day but a little windy, I got passed by a group of kenyans (twice actually they were doing a 10k) who train here during the winter (i saw them last new years day, same guys and same coach). So I'm running up the last hill, you have to go through a gate into the parking lot and one of the kenyan guys stretchs toilet paper across it and start yelling "Kick, Kick" well I don't really have a finishing kick but what the hell, I sped up. I spent about 15 minutes talking to the guys who speak the kings english very well. That is the best run I've had in a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Outstanding people... [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was doing a 5k run along the Rio Grande,"

Cool story, but what where Kenyans doing in El Paso? -:)

The only place I've ever seen the Rio Grande was crossing over into Mexico from El Paso. Since I'm used to the mighty St. Lawrence I was a bit surprised how small a river the Rio grande was. With visions of John Wayne on his white horse exclaiming "we've gotta head them off before they get to the Rio Grande", I was expecting another St. Lawrence so this was probably one of the biggest geography reality lessons of my life.

Must have been fun meeting these guys. Wish I could boast that I've "ran" with the Kenyans.
Quote Reply
Re: Outstanding people... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UTEP was one of the early pioneers in buying foreign runners to boost their cross country program. They had a strong Kenyan connection is far back as the 70's and still have them. Hawaii gets the Kenyans too mostly passing thru to Asian races. You know it's them when they pass you running while you are riding the bike on our local hillclimb. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Manhattan, Kansas, a few Kenyans ran for K-State, and I would occasionally cross paths with them. In training, they never seemed to run particularly fast (certainly much faster than I) but they were so graceful. It was beautiful to watch them run, quite a departure from my tortured plodding stride!

When the weather turned cool ... it was funny to see these guys running in bulky sweats, ski jackets, stocking hats, gloves the full shebang ... and the temps were upper 50s. They hated the cold!

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is SO cool.

Thanks for sharing!

Alicia

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply