Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outrage!
Quote | Reply
I suspect that Cathy Morgan has posted this already, but just in case, here it is again. Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I've been away. I checked and didn't see it posted, but it may have been. It's a story about a cyclist deliberately run down and severely injured by the son of a former district supervisor (read: connected) who then fled the scene. You can find the article at the link below.

It's a typical case of an arrogant motorist who doesn't believe bicycles should be allowed to share the roads. These cowards like to brush close to us or cut us off and then speed away. I've written to the Marin IJ to thank them for publicizing this act, and to the DA requesting justice for the victim.

Meanwhile, I urge everyone to write to the Marin DA's office and demand justice for our fallen brother. Let's make some noise so this doesn't get swept under the carpetting.

Marin District attorney Edward Berberian - eberberian@co.marin.ca.us

http://www.marinij.com/...%257E2889219,00.html

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Outrage! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing excuses vehicular assault. Nothing does.

It is important that cyclists remember they are at a tactical disadvantage on the road, and they are outgunned by every driver. When a cyclist makes an imfammatory gesture to a motorist it absolutely does not grant the motorist license to assault him, but it does represent bad judgement.

Most cyclists are motorists, but comparitively, few motorists are cyclists.

As cyclists it is never wise to inflame a motorist. It is extremely dangerous. It is like taunting a wild animal.

I feel terrible for the cyclist injured here. It is an aweful thing, and the motorist appears to be responsible to a large degree in this instance.

However, regardless of what the court finds this poor man likely will not regain his sight, and that is the real loss here. Tragic. Absolutely tragic.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Outrage! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As cyclists it is never wise to inflame a motorist. It is extremely dangerous. It is like taunting a wild animal."

Tom,

I agree. I always turn the other cheek, give a friendly wave, or if their is an opportunity for a short chat be friendly and polite when asking why they are driving like complete fools! I actually find this behavior catch them off guard, like they are prepped for a serious confrontation. This is of courese if the driver has been merely stupid, which 9 times out 10 is usually the case. If there has been a flagrant breaking of the rules of the road, then it's get the liescence plate # and phone the police at the next opportunity.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Outrage! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the appropriate way to handle the situation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply