Ouch: That had to hurt.
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/....shark.ap/index.html

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I read that too. By the way any news from SuperDave, I sent you another PM. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the phone with him now...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shi! pisses me off! They have done studies in Hawaii that show that it is impossible to hunt down the attacking shark, they travel too far too fast and their range is huge so unless you shoot it during the attack you won't kill that shark. They also have shown that reducing the shark population reduces the fish population which, in turn, is bad for local fisherman and economy.

My piece of advices, you don't want to get eaten by a shark STAY OUT OF THE WATER! It isn't hard, if you venture where predators are bigger than you (bear, shark, croc, alligator, etc) and can eat you then you may get eaten and I have no sympathy for these people.

It is no big secret they have really big sharks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad the Oz goverment has a tough policy against sharks! Maybe that way the sharks will take notice and stop attacking people!

Or in other words... what the hell are they thinking about... sad...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right Tom...that would really hurt to get beat by a bunch of surfers with Oars....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is such hype. 3 shark attacks in the area in the recent past, and 2,000+ traffic fatalities in the same area in the same time span. Sould people stay out of the water, or start worrying about real dangers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The realization that they are not at the top of the food chain bugs people much more than getting in a head on with a drunk driver. I think it safe to say that of the three sports, riding a bike on the road with cars is many times more likely to get you killed than swimming in the ocean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats South Australians for you. Towing a surfer behind a boat is the same as trawling with live bait, when they get a bite everyone cries.

Read that the guys parents are against killing it but redneck Governer wants it killed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/...sharks/isaf/isaf.htm

You can learn quite a bit about shark attacks and various statistics. Did you know that in Calforinia through '03, there were 25 lightning strike fatalities versus 5 from shark attacks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an excellent way for the US and Ussie governments to work together to solve two problems at once.

Problem 1 -The sharks are attacking surfers and swimmers.

Problem 2 - The US has too many fat people.

Solution: The US can slim down by sending the fat people down under where they will be fed to the sharks. We have an abundance of fat people so we can provide an constant supply of fat people for the sharks to feed on. With a constant supply, the sharks won't have to swim to get food and will become more seditary. Add to this a high fat diet and the shark population will become too fat and slow to stalk their prey.

Call it McSharkies.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [Lastplace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea.

Might make a great reality show, say "Chumming with Chubbies" (no perverse comments, please).
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Towing a surfer behind a boat is the same as trawling with live bait, when they get a bite everyone cries

Ha Ha Ha, so true!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my home beach where I train and play.

HHHmmmm Wont be swimmin tonight.

I was born and bred in Adelaide.

They spotted this shark 3 weeks ago patrolling the coast , why did they swim out there?

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you don't want to get eaten by a shark STAY OUT OF THE WATER!

So they should just abandon the beach?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry. He's already had dinner!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Shark-attack victim's family opposes kill order"
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/12/17/shark-australia041217.html

It's really sad that this happens, but I totally agree with victim's family.

http://www.optruth.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No just understand the risks you take when entering the water. People who take part in sports with risk need to understand and accept them. If you get hurt in your sport as the result of a know risk then you have no one to blame but you. There are many big boy sports that can hurt or kill you and surfing is one for sure and you can't blame the shark any more than you can blame the water if you drown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No just understand the risks you take when entering the water.

Of course. I don't bear the shark any ill will. But if it kept hanging around my beach, you can bet I'd have no problem killing it, either. It's a big fish, is all.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why kill it? Why not just stay out of the water? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is stupid to kill the shark. It isn't like the shark is Scott Peterson. It isn't a criminal. Sharks have big teeth and are projectile shaped so they can eat things. That is what they do. People are not really designed to be dragged behind boats like a fishing lure.

What happened to that man is truly horrible, his poor friends too who had to see that. Awful.

But I would characterize this as a truly terrible accident. Not the "fault" of the shark.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that Great Whites (and other sharks) are thought to be endangered, and therefore you can't kill them anyway? It would be like trying to kill a whale in NZ waters...you would get 30 yrs for that sort of thing here.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [ironroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ironroo,

do you have netting at your beaches? I live at Mooloolaba in Qld and most beaches here have shark nets. The coverage I saw on the news I didn't see any nets.

There is a big stink every year when a migrating whale gets caught in the nets and drowns but I think a drowned whale is a much better alternative than a mutilated human.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The realization that they are not at the top of the food chain bugs people much more than getting in a head on with a drunk driver."

Of course man is still on top of the food chain. Man have opposable thumb with which to make explosive and projectile weapon. Shark have teeth. Bet on Man. (which is not to say that the Shark won't occasionally score a point ;-))

I totally agree that being on the road with old geezers, teenagers, cell phones, women doing their warpaint, etc. is WAY more dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch: That had to hurt. [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Ironroo,

do you have netting at your beaches? I live at Mooloolaba in Qld and most beaches here have shark nets. The coverage I saw on the news I didn't see any nets.

There is a big stink every year when a migrating whale gets caught in the nets and drowns but I think a drowned whale is a much better alternative than a mutilated human.

No netting. This would be a great idea though. But at what cost?

"Your limits are self imposed"
Quote Reply

Prev Next