Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Other ways besides training for getting faster?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys and gals,

In 2015 I started taking up triathlon and done a few races to some fair results (at least in my opinion).
Been out for a few years busy with setting up two companies and getting a baby, but picked up again in fall last year to race my first 1/4th last weekend to a nice 5th place in a field of 130 men.
I was pretty stoked with this result and am looking at ways to get faster, besides continuing to train.

I'm a 34 year old guy, 1m89 long, weighing 88 kg's. FTP around 300 watt's atm

Some details:
The swim was 1k and was done in 16min43 so 1:40/100mtr
Bike leg was around 36k and had an avg of 40.7 km/h and average power of 257watt with NP of 264watt with a HR avg of 172. My FTP HR is 176
Run was 10.6k with an avg pace of 4:16/km. Avg HR here was 175.
Finish time: 1:57:27 after a fierce 3:00/km sprint to the line to take 5th place

Right, I'm using a coach who makes my training plans, and it's a guy who trains pro World Tour cyclists, runners, triathletes and comes from a swimming background himself.
I've followed his training plans from the moment I started working with him, and am very motivated to keep doing that
In terms of material I think I've got my stuff sorted. Huub Albacore wetsuit for the swim, Castelli All Out Speed suit, using NoPinz numberbelt and tripsocks, the much done Giro Empire shoes as done here on Slowtwitch, Giro Aerohead aboard a Cervelo P5-6 with Red eTap, Q Rings and Zipp Super-9 and 808 wheels with Continental GP TT tyres and Latex tubes. Chain was waxed and prepped with race powder - all from Molten Speed Wax. The bike has been set-up with Retul by a trained bike-fitter. In terms of Aero I suppose I'm good to go. If any one of you want to judge the position I've included a picture: https://i1093.photobucket.com/...-Triathlon-64180.jpg
For the run I'm using Nike Vaporfly 4% shoes. Both shoes had Talcum powder in, and the bike shoes were held on the bike with Elastic bands, the motion was trained on an indoor trainer and went well in the race.

Where can I improve:
Swim: My coach has already told me quite a lot can be won on the swim, but I also know I'm not a swimmer by nature, and most of the time won is in technique which probably means some more 1 on 1 time with the coach to improve on that part. Other than that I have no idea on how to improve on the swim.
Bike: Mostly training to get my power levels up, I was used to do close to 280-300 watt in a bike-leg - however the speed was lower then it was last Sunday. It must mean my Cda and/or Crr is lower with this bike/setup. I'm curious if anyone has more ideas on improving time here other than by (keep) training properly.
Run: I feel this is where I can improve most, but also most by just keep training. I'm only running from November last year, and came from a long way so had to REALLY take my time to not get injured. Feel happy with the result now, but also know there's more in the tank possibly by dropping at least another 8 kg's or so. That would for sure help the running pace.I've not done much interval training, a lot of my training was just doing the base stuff to build that solid base. The fact I've already got some speed (not fantastic yet, but good for now) kind of surprised me.
Transition: Using baby oil around the ankles, my T1 and 2 go pretty smooth. Pretty much keep doing them and get more and more comfortable.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the experienced guys here and hear your take on what I can do get my time down more! I'm just stoked on seeing where I can end this year! Doing some 111's the next months to finish the season of with a 70.3 in September :)
Last edited by: daveke: Jun 10, 19 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: Other ways besides training for getting faster? [daveke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2 things that stand out to me are 1) your weight and 2) your swim speed.

Dropping the 8 kilos will do wonders for you overall but will really help your run.

Your swim at 1:40/100m is pretty solid but (in your age group) you’re probably giving up some time. Improving your swim speed and swim fitness will also help your bike/run since you’ll be fresher coming out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you are saying you know you are not a swimmer by nature. How much swimming do you do right now? I think you have a lot to go on there. Losing some weight will also help of course (not sure how much "extra" you have).
Quote Reply
Re: Other ways besides training for getting faster? [runethechamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I come from a cycling background, raced some years in amateur categories so had to start swimming from scratch.
I swim 2-3 times a week in sessions of 2-2.5k per session divided in a warming up part, a technique part and a fitness part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daveke wrote:
I come from a cycling background, raced some years in amateur categories so had to start swimming from scratch.
I swim 2-3 times a week in sessions of 2-2.5k per session divided in a warming up part, a technique part and a fitness part.

Swimming and triathlon for that matter, is about efficiency in movement. Functional strength and mobility esp around the torso. Head to the gym and meet with a good trainer for a posture, spine (alignment) & shoulder flexibility assessment. Without having a sound fitness base, there will be a hard limit on the swimming. I've posted more that a few times, I've made substantial swim gains, in the gym. Swimming best ever. Also helped my run preparation to stay out of injury.

Cycling is counterproductive to posture and swimming.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply